PDA

View Full Version : Info needed: BNSF Seligman Sub

socalrailfan
08-25-2006, 02:44 AM
At the beginning of next month I'm going to take a trip from Riverside, CA to Williams, AZ. Mostly focusing on the Williams area and the Seligman Sub. I have never been past the stateline at Needles and look forward to some great railfanning in AZ. I plan to setup camp, hotel, in Williams and take side trip to the Grand Canyon, most likely via the GCRR. The I plan on hitting the Sedona area and possibly the Flagstaff area too.

I'll be taking my Jeep so I can have full access to anywhere I need to go. I've got a pretty detailed exlpanation of the route between Needles and Flagstaff, but what I would like is some insider info from members.

IE: Must go to shot locations and the best time of day, and detailed locations around town, yard, RR museums? This will help me setup some type of travel plan. I plan on getting the GCRR doing it's wye work in the canyon, I also plan on riding on the luxury car for great photo ops. Just a locals view would help me a lot.

J
08-25-2006, 05:49 AM
Why not head eastward via Beaumont Pass along the UP and cut north near Palm Springs via 29 Palms, Wonder Valley to Amboy and then go east from there along the BNSF. You'll find a lot of open spaces with little traffic.

Here's a website dedicated to Roy's Motel in Amboy. Scroll down to see some photos of BNSF.

http://www.rt66roys.com/pictures/

socalrailfan
08-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Because I live in Riverside 15 minutes from Beaumont, plus I have railfanned that area more than enough. My goal is Arizona not California. Going out I40 to Needles is fast and lots of railtraffic along Route 66.

Why not head eastward via Beaumont Pass along the UP and cut north near Palm Springs via 29 Palms, Wonder Valley to Amboy and then go east from there along the BNSF. You'll find a lot of open spaces with little traffic.

cactus65
08-25-2006, 10:13 PM
http://www.trainweb.org/brettrw/bnsf/seligmansub/seligmansub.html

cactus65
08-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Just E. of Flagstaff are two excellent photo spots, first is Walnut Canyon Rd., and the next exit on I-40 is Cosnino Rd. Both of these spots have produced many a photo for me. Just found Walnut Canyon this past spring, very good angles there, and Cosnino has multiple locations and possiblities both have access rds on both sides of track, most of my pics.at the link below are taken at either of these sites. Cosnino Rd. still had(as of March of this year) one of the few remaining ATSF signal bridges left on the sub.

also refer to this posting
http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1662

socalrailfan
08-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Thank you.

SJCAlien
09-09-2006, 02:25 PM
...find the E Valentine crossing along the old highway,,,we were there in March 2006 and saw 3 big freights in less than one hour.......plus the country-side is beautiful....but keep moving.....there are plenty of areas..east from Williams....

Alien

socalrailfan
09-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Well I just got back from my trip through the Needles and Seligman Sub, I stayed mostly in Williams and Flagstaff. I also caught a little action on the Phoenix Sub too as well as the GCRR and VCRR's. Anyways I made it as far as Winslow, AZ. Over on my site I posted a daily recap with a few photos from each day if you'd like to check them out. In the next few weeks I'll be writing a whole story of my venture and inclusing a ton of photos, somewhere around 1200 photos were taken, so there should be a few good ones! :roll: :twisted:

I will say it was one awesome trip and I will be back to railfan it again in the near future!

Day by Day on the Seligman Sub - daily recap (http://www.socalrailfan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1683)

cactus65
09-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Great place to spend a few days, isn't it? I look forward to my trip to the Flag. area every year. Will be back out there in March again ( God Lord willing) Hope I was at least alittle help in your Seligman Sub quest.

socalrailfan
09-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Well I learned know matter how much I planned, looked at photos, maps, aerial photos and others trip reports nothing is likeit is when you actually get there. The first time by Cozier Cyn I couldn't find the access, so I studied up a bit and used two maps and I got there yesterday on the way home. I got to be honest though, the shot selection from the top is somewhat lackluster. My favorite spots of my trip were East Flagstaff to Angell and Seligman to Eagle Nest.