PDA

View Full Version : Bad Color?

WSOR 3807
08-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Hello,

I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out how to fix a photo. I recently had this photo rejected for bad color:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=283375

I don't quite understand what that means. The photo was first rejected for bad cropping (I had included more of the train), and so I cropped it to more on the locomotives and resubmitted it. Now they say it's "bad color," but I don't understand why? That is fairly close anyway to the real colors of the scene, and the stripe on that lead locomotive really was faded like that. Why would the screeners have called this bad color, and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
Noah

Frederick
08-29-2006, 05:29 PM
By changing the hue/saturation, you can get this:

cmherndon
08-29-2006, 06:20 PM
I don't quite understand what that means.

In this case, it means that the colors look flat. I increased the saturation and hue and also adjusted the color balance a tad (a little more blue, a little less green) and came up with the following.

Switched out
08-30-2006, 02:41 AM
Simple one this one :)

Hit Auto color in photoshop, Adjust exposure tweak the Saturation a little and bingo one prize winner.

Cheers,

Christine.

WSOR 3807
08-31-2006, 02:10 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I'll have to go tinker with some of the settings you mentioned in photo shop now and see what I can come up with. Thanks alot.

Noah

scottychaos
09-01-2006, 02:00 PM
It has a slight overall Cyan cast.
here is my attempt at a re-balance:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5623/noahmp8.jpg

I added in some red and yellow to balance out the cyan and blue.
and also gave it a slight boost in contrast.

Scot

Mustang11
09-01-2006, 08:20 PM
It has a slight overall Cyan cast.

Especially in that case, try using a slight warming filter (Image: Adjustments: Photo Filter)

Good Luck,
Brian

John West
09-01-2006, 09:54 PM
If you're processing your pix in Photoshop, I would recommend trying out "auto color" on almost every picture. I have found that with perhaps 80 percent of my pictures it gives me close to what I want, quickly and easily. In particular it seems pretty good at removing the bluish cast that most of my old Kodachromes seeem to have. Usually all I end up doing is tweaking things a bit (and almost always increasing the contrast a tad). And when you don't like the results, you can always hit edit to go back and do it manually. I've been surprised at how good the results of auto color have been even in some weird lighting situtations. I have various versions of Photoshop ranging from an old Elements to new CS2, and it seems to work about the same in all versions....although I have not tested that theory extensively so I might get proven wrong on that.

John West

Chris Kilroy
09-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Christine's edit looks, to me, to be by far the best accurate color representation.