PDA

View Full Version : ABC Primetime

devights
09-01-2006, 06:33 AM
Anyone see the story on Primetime about train accidents, a shameful bit of spin left the picture that railroads could care less about derailments and are out to kill everyone. The worst part was they were giving stats like "there is nearly one train accident a day" while scrolling through pictures of nasty derailments. I guess they didn't bother to mention that "accidents" are usually NOT derailments and most likely involve someone who didn't bother to look both ways before crossing the tracks. Or for that matter the number of derailments (I've heard of two recently in the Puget Sound area) that are due to people thinking it'd be funny to lay a piece of track or something across the rails and see what happens.
This report strikes me as more of an "it bleeds, it leads" story about the rare occurance of an accident that actually harms innocent people (rather than those going for a stroll down the tracks). I'm just wondering if any of you had seen it and if my analysis is pretty much on target.

trainmonster
09-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Leave it to the controlled media...

Rich

lucky77
09-02-2006, 05:22 AM
Yeah, one big bleeding heart piece about how hazmats on trains could kill you. Go figure... Naturally, they don't bother to mention how much worse it could be if it wasn't trains carrying those hazmats, whether by truck (how many would it take to match the capacity of a train? How many drivers?) or pipeline (yeah, that would make for a good terrorist target :-x )... :shock:

J
09-02-2006, 03:04 PM
This program is entertainment masquerading as news. Note the pandering to the audience with the formulaic spin of, "It could happen to you and no one is doing anything about it!!

It sells advertising.... just like Jerry Springer.

Frederick
09-02-2006, 07:28 PM
That's pretty typical of the media. Stretch and sensationalize facts to an unbelievable extent to make a story. What they are calling an accident is probably one empty boxcar becoming partially derailed while moving at 3 miles per hour.

SD70MACMAN
09-06-2006, 03:14 AM
I dont even want to think about the ratio of train accidents, to say, car accidents. Maybe the could talk about all the potential accidents that trains take off the roads!

Sometimes society gets a little bit wild when it comes to others getting hurt. Its annoying to watch the news and the first 10 minutes is devoted to rape, murder, and fires. Almost makes me want to change from civil engineering to psychology...

However, I do have a little saying for dealing with railroads:
"If youre not damaging anything, interfering with work, getting hurt, or killed, they don't really care." To an extent, thats true.