PDA

View Full Version : UP ACe 8412 sets off a car alarm - videos included!

NicTrain35
09-05-2006, 11:00 PM
ACe horns are loud and can never get tiring. That's what I really like about them.

I took a short video of UP 1988's (KATY) horn. Many spots on the UP Geneva Sub have a "whistle ban" (like some spots on the BNSF Chicago Sub), however, the train is meeting another train at the crossing, therefore, causing 1988 to sound its horn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KmOMDGytUg

In this next video, UP ACe 8412 is heading west. The horn was so loud that it set off a car alarm! I thought a CSX horn was the only horn that could do that!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAav98pZF6Q

I hope that you all enjoy these and get a good laugh out of the second one!

CG_F45
09-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Great vids, and shots!

NicTrain35
09-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Thank you very much, Chris! I really appreciate it.

Slopes09
09-06-2006, 04:51 AM
I concur! When this SD70ACe went by:
[photoid=157348],
my ears were ringing for several minutes afterward. Man those K5's are loud! :shock:

CG_F45
09-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Yeah, this guy did some damage to my eardrums....(there was a crossing about 20 feet behind me, hence the extra horn..)

[photoid=155841]

NicTrain35
09-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Mike and Chris,

Great photos! I wasn't expecting horn from that ACe that set off the car alarm, but he honked twice as soon as the engine passed me. Myself, and three other railfans jumped due to the loud horn. K5LLA is my favorite type of horn, along with the Leslie RS3LR.

cmherndon
09-07-2006, 12:51 AM
K5LLA is my favorite type of horn, along with the Leslie RS3LR.

The K5LLA is a complete dischord, although they do sound a little bit better after inhaling coal dust, soot, bugs, and God knows what else. The K5HL is much more pleasing if you ask me, but nothing beats the sound of a Leslie RS5TRROF.

By the way Nick, how can you be sure that the horn is setting the car alarm off and it's not some guy in the bushes thinking you were going to hijack his econobox?

4kV
09-07-2006, 01:22 AM
nothing beats the sound of a Leslie RS5TRROF.

Amen, brother Caleb.

By the way Nick, how can you be sure that the horn is setting the car alarm off and it's not some guy in the bushes thinking you were going to hijack his econobox?

Engines can easily set off car alarms without blowing the horn. I see it somewhat often.

cmherndon
09-07-2006, 01:48 AM
Engines can easily set off car alarms without blowing the horn. I see it somewhat often.

I've never seen it, but then again not many folks invest in car alarms here. I guess around here, people don't have to worry about parking their car in East STL, yo.

The whole theory about setting the alarms off makes sense, though.

Ru1056
09-07-2006, 01:52 AM
I've never seen it, but then again not many folks invest in car alarms here.

Do they even have cars in Hickville? Or is it all trucks at the truck stop?

4kV
09-07-2006, 02:32 AM
I've never seen it, but then again not many folks invest in car alarms here. I guess around here, people don't have to worry about parking their car in East STL, yo.

The whole theory about setting the alarms off makes sense, though.

It often happens at Kirkwood, as there are usually about 25 cars parked 5 feet from the tracks in a public parking lot. Then again, maybe those are just phoamer alarms going off every time one shows up.