PDA

View Full Version : Car got hit in dunbar by train

NSFan14
09-10-2006, 11:26 PM
September 9 -- Police have identified the victim of a train accident in Dunbar Friday afternooon. Authorities say Deloris Boggess, 72, from Charleston died on the scene after a train hit her car around 4 p.m. Friday on 12th Street.

A passenger in the car, Wesley Fore, 34, from St. Albans, is in Charleston Area Medical Center. He is listed in fair condition.

Witnesses told firefighters the driver of the car pulled up on the tracks and stopped, even though the crossing lights were on and the train whistle was blowing.

Cyclonetrain
09-11-2006, 03:08 AM
Really, do we need to be informed of every single railroad incident ever to take place within 650 miles of your home?

NicTrain35
09-11-2006, 04:03 AM
Glenn,

This is a railroad forum. Everything railroad related is welcome as long as it's appropriate. Alex has every right to post these types of topics.

Ru1056
09-11-2006, 04:48 AM
Glenn,

This is a railroad forum. Everything railroad related is welcome as long as it's appropriate. Alex has every right to post these types of topics.

And what can we gather from this incident that can't be gathered from the other countless threads of someone getting ran over by a train? Well this victim is 72. Maybe we shouldn't let the elderly near grade crossings? :roll:

cmherndon
09-11-2006, 04:58 AM

A railroad related forum, yes, but Glenn is right. Crossing accidents and fatalities happen every day. If I remember correctly, about every 90 minutes a car is hit. It isn't necessary to inform everyone of every crossing fatality that happens in the United States. Most of us (myself included) would much rather see real railroad news which stimulates discussion, rather than a totally pointless train/car fatality thread.

Switched out
09-11-2006, 11:00 AM
A railroad related forum, yes, but Glenn is right. Crossing accidents and fatalities happen every day. If I remember correctly, about every 90 minutes a car is hit. It isn't necessary to inform everyone of every crossing fatality that happens in the United States. Most of us (myself included) would much rather see real railroad news which stimulates discussion, rather than a totally pointless train/car fatality thread.Agreed, If you really want to keep up with what happens around the world railway wise march on over to Google Alerts (http://www.google.com/alerts?hl=en) and set up daily alerts that get emailed to you daily. You just need to supply a search term such as level crossing or locomotive for example and Google will do the rest.

Warren
09-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Most of us (myself included) would much rather see real railroad news which stimulates discussion, rather than a totally pointless train/car fatality thread.
Yes but when you see a photo of a derailment or a Amtrak that hit a truck, tractor, ect, they do seem to get alot of views.
If you wish to view photos of death and distruction there are places to do that on the internet. I never really thought that this place was a place for that or discussing such things.
As you get older NSFan14 and experience what really happens when a human gets hit by a train and you see what it does to the people that are involved with the accident and to the family, it tends to lose its luster and you will understand why some of us react the way we do.

E3429
09-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Really, do we need to be informed of every single railroad incident ever to take place within 650 miles of your home?

Thank you! As CM stated, it happens all the time. It will continue to happen all the time. Posting a thread on it every time it happens IS pointless. Life is not infinite. Whether it's through accident or other causes, people are going to die. Reporting on every case get's tiring. Eventually, NSfan14, it will happen to someone you know. No, that is not a threat, it's a fact of life. And as Warren stated, once you get to see the impact such incidents have on everyone involved, maybe it'll stop being so entertaining to you.

Five years ago, we got to watch 2973 people lose their lives on live tv. Sadly, we've devolved from memorializing to finger pointing.

Sadly, that's all you're doing with your reporting of these cases.

E

NSFan14
09-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Good for him, Merry Christmas.

You know what cyclone if you have a problem with my post "THEN DONT READ THEM"I could careless what you think me i would like to be informed and i think some other people would like to be informed to and i thank you need to lose your attitude cause i didnt do nothing to you.

NSFan14
09-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Yes but when you see a photo of a derailment or a Amtrak that hit a truck, tractor, ect, they do seem to get alot of views.
If you wish to view photos of death and distruction there are places to do that on the internet. I never really thought that this place was a place for that or discussing such things.
As you get older NSFan14 and experience what really happens when a human gets hit by a train and you see what it does to the people that are involved with the accident and to the family, it tends to lose its luster and you will understand why some of us react the way we do.
Yes Warren I understand but i never said i was happy that the person got killed I just think some people would like to be informed about something like that.

jaanfo
09-11-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm making this statement from neutral ground here...

Everybody: This is a railroad discussion forum, and any railroad discussion and news is welcome NSFan14 feels the need to share some news with everybody in case someone is interested in hearing it. I see no major problem with that personally, but I also feel the comment below holds true.

NSFan: This is a railroad discussion Forum, and many people who have posted are afraid that the discussion will become one-sided. So many forums have three or four members who post a whole new thread about every tiny piece of information they find. The result is they can have hundreds of new threads every day, but little discussion as nobody is able to keep up with all of it, nor do they care about all of it. People here are afraid that if more people start posting random tidbits like this this forum will become like those.

Just a for instance: A forum I participate in has had very few threads on fatalities or grade crossing accidents despite the fact the area covered has at least one a week, but last week we had two threads: One event was at Fullerton, where a lot of members hang out and was familiar with the group of hooligans involved, and the other was at Leucadia boulevard crossing, a rather infamously dangerous intersection where Amtrak and Coaster (and eventually Metrolink) fly down essentially a raised median between two busy roads, and across a third busy road, at 85+ MPH. We had a huge discussion on why the intersection was dangerous, and how it could be improved.

With that said though, a good Compromise may be needed to keep threads like this from exploding as this has... having one thread just for minor news events people may want to watch, or something similar.

just my two cents.