PDA

View Full Version : September 16th, 2006 - Triple headed steam in action!

NicTrain35
09-17-2006, 08:02 PM
I've been anxiously awaiting this day for a while. My family and I headed out to western Illinois to photograph the Iowa Interstate excursion. They made a trip from Rock Island to Bureau and back. Milwaukee 261 joined the team of QJ's to turn this special run into a triple header.

While looking around for a good spot to catch it on the eastbound trip, I found a nice park in Tiskilwa to photograph it at. After waiting for a while, we saw smoke appearing in the sky. The excursion rounded the corner with the crews giving all of the railfans a lot of waves and whistles.

We left Tiskilwa to head for Bureau. We were expecting to see it make the wye when we arrived at Bureau. Instead, as we pulled up to the crossing, we heard the whistle in the distance. To my surprise, the train hadn't arrived yet and was smoking it up around the corner. I hopped out of the car to snap some photos. Motorists weren't too happy about my departure from the car, as the gates hadn't lowered yet, but they soon found out why I made that move. Some even got out of their cars to admire it. Being up close and personal to a triple headed steam excursion was one of those moments that you'll always remember!

After photographing it in Bureau, we headed about four or five miles down to a country road. It was a very nice location to photograph trains at, especially a steamer! There were exactly twenty cars full of railfans waiting for the train to come. We even saw a van with its back door open pass by. Everyone shouted "foamer" as he passed by. :-D One guy came around the blind curve and stopped to ask if the train had been by yet. Another car came around the blind curve (a train chaser) and almost swerved off the road, trying to avoid the first car. About fifteen minutes after that confusion, the excursion came through on its westbound trip to Rock Island.

That ended the day for me and it's a day of train watching that I will never forget!

Pictures are available right here: http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=130399#post130399

dodi4200
09-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Great shots Nick.I saw them today at 5:00pm and really enjoyed them.those pics are really agreat addition to your nice shots.Keep up the great work and keep those nice shots coming.

NicTrain35
09-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks a lot, Mohamed! I will keep them coming.

SD70MACMAN
09-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Thats so cool! Thanks for posting and sharing!

NicTrain35
09-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks a lot, Mike! I really appreciate your compliments and am more than glad to share them.

Studogg120
09-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Those are some real cool pictures Nick.

NicTrain35
09-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks, Stuart! I really appreciate it.

a231pacific
09-21-2006, 01:23 AM
Nick,

Nice shots and a well written report. Are you sure you are 17 years old? Much better than I could have done at your age, both with the camera and the keyboard. Of course, we had to use pens and typewriters back then! ;-)

Michael Allen

NicTrain35
09-21-2006, 01:59 AM
Hi Michael,

Thank you very much! :) I really appreciate your compliments! Take care.