PDA

View Full Version : Rockslide closes Ft. Wayne Line up to a week; NS reroutes on CSX

jdirelan87
09-22-2006, 08:21 AM
A huge rock slide (up to 1.2 million cubic yards) from a construction site has blocked the NS Ft. Wayne Line between Conway and Pittsburgh at MP 14.0. As of tonight, PennDot estimated clean up could take upto a week.

So far, NS has already started rerouting some trains over CSX's Chicago & River Lines along with NS/NJT's Southern Teir to reach New Jeresy. All rerouted trains so far are hotshot TOFC or COFC trains, no word on other trains yet.

Wade H. Massie
09-22-2006, 03:44 PM
A few of the non-intermodal trains have been re-routed on the W&LE via the Clairton Branch.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
09-22-2006, 06:58 PM
There are detours running on almost every line between western PA & NY and NJ & eastern NY. NS is rerouting over the Southern Tier, Buffalo Line and even sections of CSX track. One track is open through the site of the landslide but if rains come through the area, I doubt NS would take the chance of running past with fears of more dirt to fall. It should be an interesting weekend for NS operations.

hoydie17
09-22-2006, 11:55 PM
I've got a good friend that works for RJC and he's been on site there since last night. USGS is involved now, and the rumors are that this is going to take at least a week, if not longer to get the tracks and PA 65 open again.

PENNDOT has already been advising motorists to plan on "significant detours" for at least the next week.

As I understood, he says they have been getting one track open, and the fill just collapses back over it again from the top of the hill.

WALMART, or it's contractor isn't gonna like the feeling of this lawsuit when it's over.

Sean

trainmonster
09-23-2006, 06:31 AM
WALMART, or it's contractor isn't gonna like the feeling of this lawsuit when it's over.

Sean

I hope both get a real hurtin' lawsuit.

Rich

Devil 505
09-23-2006, 09:38 AM
does anyone know if their are going to be more reroutes on the southern tier?

skphillips
09-24-2006, 07:22 PM
I saw M1J and 27A In Virginias Christiansburg District yesterday.

golden_spike
09-25-2006, 02:08 AM
i hope NS owns walmart when this is over

photogeek88
09-25-2006, 04:23 AM
Hey, I wonder, if NS does take over, will their employees organize? Wonder if it will be the UTU or BLET? :D:-P Anyways, joking aside, is this on the NS portion of the Cap Limited's side of Pittsburgh? And if so, what's Amtrak doing about that?

Wade H. Massie
09-26-2006, 07:00 AM
Yes, the slide is on the segment of the Fort Wayne Line used by Amtrak. I'm not sure what they did with #29 and #30. It's possible that buses were used, as a reroute over the P&LE would involve a long backup move from Downtown to Rankin.