PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak train derailed in delaware

NSFan14
09-26-2006, 09:23 PM
For more info. Click Here (http://www.nbc4.com/news/9933924/detail.html?rss=dc&psp=news)

fuente1
09-26-2006, 11:13 PM
For more info. Click Here (http://www.nbc4.com/news/9933924/detail.html?rss=dc&psp=news)

Amtrak derailing is not news by any means.....happens all too often. Budget must be rough for the Nationals if they have resorted to Amtrak for transporation.....as arriving on time is a rare occasion.

jaanfo
09-27-2006, 09:23 AM
*rolls eyes*

It happens on freight companies much more then it happens on passenger lines... They just don't have people onboard who pick up their cell phones and call the local news station. As for the Nationals, is there a problem with taking Amtrak? They chartered a train which had a large amount of slush scheduled, to take them overnight from New York to DC after the game. unfortunately a switch malfunctioned and the locomotive derailed. It's unfortunate, yes, but I'm sure they'll book another charter train soon enough, these things do happen.

When you fly on an airplane and they suffer mechanical problems, forcing you to land at the wrong airport, disruption your entire plans, do you say "Oh, they always do that" "they're always late" "nobody should take them!" Or do you go along for the ride, call your family, explain you'll be late, and accept it as a fact of life before booking your next plane flight?

Geez

I'm stepping off my soap box and leaving this thread alone, but the above mentality is why LD passenger rail is dying a slow, tortured death.

cmherndon
09-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Budget must be rough for the Nationals if they have resorted to Amtrak for transporation.

It was probably quicker than taking the bus or flying from New York. Apparently, the derailment didn't affect their play as the Nationals beat the Phillies 4-3 last night.

Ru1056
09-28-2006, 12:06 AM
It was probably quicker than taking the bus or flying from New York. Apparently, the derailment didn't affect their play as the Nationals beat the Phillies 4-3 last night.

Or Jim Bowden's way of saving money.

cmherndon
09-28-2006, 03:08 AM
And, of course, humor has come from this situation...

http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugout/archive/nick78.htm

fuente1
09-28-2006, 03:52 AM
When you fly on an airplane and they suffer mechanical problems, forcing you to land at the wrong airport, disruption your entire plans, do you say "Oh, they always do that" "they're always late" "nobody should take them!" Or do you go along for the ride, call your family, explain you'll be late, and accept it as a fact of life before booking your next plane flight?

Geez

I'm stepping off my soap box and leaving this thread alone, but the above mentality is why LD passenger rail is dying a slow, tortured death.

I agree with you that air travel is nowhere near perfect. However, when I fly I generally get to my destination within an hour of the scheduled time. Amtrak, at least the Carolinian, is generally two-three hours late at best arriving here. Everytime I go to the depot to take photos all I hear from riders getting off the train is "Jeez, Im never riding this thing again" and "My God, Ive been on that train for what seems like days" I love passenger rail, but Amtrak isnt where its at. In my experience booking travel, air is generally competative if not cheaper than amtrak for cross country trips and in our time sensative world taking 7 days to get across the country isnt acceptable.

hoydie17
09-28-2006, 03:59 AM
in our time sensative world taking 7 days to get across the country isnt acceptable.

Except when you're willing to take the time to enjoy that kind of trip. A cross country trip by train is something every American should try once in their life.

I'd wager to say if everyone did it, they'd have a different purview on long distance passenger rail. Maybe not enough to restore it to it's former glory, but enough to preserve what we have left.

Sean <----- Road ATK #4 and ATK #30 cross country in 2005.

fuente1
09-28-2006, 04:02 AM
Except when you're willing to take the time to enjoy that kind of trip. A cross country trip by train is something every American should try once in their life.

I'd wager to say if everyone did it, they'd have a different purview on long distance passenger rail. Maybe not enough to restore it to it's former glory, but enough to preserve what we have left.

Sean <----- Road ATK #4 and ATK #30 cross country in 2005.

Sean,
Ill give ya that. Id love to take the American Orient Express across the country one day. Its probably pretty close to being what the real glory days were like.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
09-29-2006, 05:38 AM
Sean,
Ill give ya that. Id love to take the American Orient Express across the country one day. Its probably pretty close to being what the real glory days were like.
Too bad it doesn't exsist anymore :-P

fuente1
09-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Too bad it doesn't exsist anymore :-P

Ya know, that is a good point. So there are no more real passenger trains left. Its over!