PDA

View Full Version : Watermarks for Digital Photographs

MichaelJ
09-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Another Website that I contribute photographs to has the provision for adding a watermark to your upload. I'm not sure that I like the effect it ads to the photograph.

Would you use a watermark or identification band like RP.Net?

How big should the band be?

Cheers

Joe the Photog
10-01-2006, 02:34 PM
I used to put copyrights on my photographs, but that's a lot of time to spend on them, I think. The odd thing is that I did have some people "borrow" my shots without telling me or asking me for their web site when I did this. Usually they would crop or clone the copyright out. Since I stopped putting the markon my shots, I have not found any of my shots being used without me kowing about. Probably a coicidence, truth be known, but kinda kinda interesting.

Joe

Joe the Photog
10-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Although I know there was at least one time someone used a RP picture of mine without asking. They took it off the web site, although they used the copyright. I e-mailed Mr. Starnes and he kindly asked the web master in question not to do that anymore.

Joe

MichaelJ
10-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks for that Joe, I'm starting to think a band may be less intrusive on the actual photo.

Here's the site I was talking about ...
http://gallery.qrig.org/main.php/v/users/MichaelJ/

It is a Queensland Focused Railway Interest Group run by a friend of mine. He's sure put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it.

jfusaro
10-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Although I know there was at least one time someone used a RP picture of mine without asking. They took it off the web site, although they used the copyright. I e-mailed Mr. Starnes and he kindly asked the web master in question not to do that anymore.

Joe

how did you ever find out that someone was using your photo if they never asked?

Ween
10-06-2006, 05:01 PM
how did you ever find out that someone was using your photo if they never asked?

Someone who knows your work (or style) will see it somewhere, send you the link, and ask, "Hey, isn't this your photo?"

Joe the Photog
10-06-2006, 08:17 PM
I have had what Ween said happen, but I think most times I just stumble across it. I like to do web searches for shortlines that I frequent just to see who else is shooting them. One time I did a specific search on one Carolina Southern engine and came across my own shot with someone else's name under it.

It should actually be easier to prove it's yours with digital EXIF data.

Joe

MichaelJ
10-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Someone who knows your work (or style) will see it somewhere, send you the link, and ask, "Hey, isn't this your photo?"

That's exactly right! I've got emails from people who I don't know very well giving me the heads up that a particular person is altering my photos and then presenting them as their own.