PDA

View Full Version : Aborted Railfan Outing

TonytheTiger
10-01-2006, 01:16 AM
For almost two years I have been trying to get all of my new train buds here in Harrisburg together for a railfan outing. Something has always come up in the past to make it necessary to postpone the get together. Finally, Saturday, September 30, 2006, was set, and everyone was on board. We were to meet at a central location and load up in two vans. I had the route mapped, the walkie talkies charged, the scanner set up with an external antenna and routed through my van’s stereo, a clean 512meg memory card for the camera, and food and drink packed in the cooler. I picked up one of our group and headed for the rendezvous point.

Upon arrival (a local church parking lot), one of my friends asked if we could take a few moments and help his wife by setting up a few tables for the women’s bible group luncheon. Trying to keep things moving, I headed for the front doors in order to finish the task as quickly as possible. I opened the doors, stepped in, and . . . .

S U R P R I S E ! ! !

There was my wife, my in-laws, one of my daughter’s from college, some coworkers, church friends, and my pastor – along with yards and yards of black bunting and crepe paper with Happy 50th Birthday and Over the Hill prominently displayed.

Yes, I was so thoroughly absorbed in the planning and execution of our railfan trip that I was completely surprised. Thank God for good wives.

LAHDPOP
10-01-2006, 01:23 AM
LMAO! Happy Birthday, anyway. Maybe you can railfan next Saturday.

NicTrain35
10-01-2006, 04:54 AM
Happy birthday, Rob! I hope that your day is great! :)

Nick

hoydie17
10-01-2006, 01:09 PM
DOHHH! Ruined a perfectly good day of foamin'!

LOL, just kidding, Happy Birthday Rob, there will most certainly be other times.

Sean

dodi4200
10-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Happy birthday Rob.And hope to see more and more from your great work.

Switched out
10-02-2006, 01:24 AM
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/fsc/happy%20birthday1.gif I guess there's always next year http://smilies.sofrayt.com/fsc/smile2.gif

Christine.

John West
10-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Only 50? Just a young whippersnapper. Lotsa time for more railfan outings.
Happy birthday.

John West

Mgoldman
10-02-2006, 07:55 PM
DOHHH! Ruined a perfectly good day of foamin'!

Sean

Good one!
Hey, atleast the party wasn't a day when Ross Rowland decided to run the #614 over Sandpatch!

Happy Birthday Rob.

/Mitch