PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Help

chauncey87
10-15-2006, 01:36 AM
I got this one rejected for Poor Lighting-Backlit. I appealed and it was again rejected.
I thought backlighting was when the sun is behind or off to the side of the subject and only ambient light (as opposed to direct sunlight) is hitting the train?

Is this really backlit? If not, is there anything else bad about the lighting? Maybe the shadow being cast on the tracks by the train going the other way? Or the shadow cast on the signal on the left? Something else? Help me out here.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=297786

dodi4200
10-15-2006, 01:54 PM
There isnot any backlit in the face of the train but maybe the screener mean that you catch the pic from the dark side of the train.I canot see any well lightened part of the shot but the face of the train and asmall part of it.Alot of shodowed areas in the shot that maybe the shot couldnot be accepted because of it.

a231pacific
10-17-2006, 02:11 AM
If the screeners rejected your appeal, I'm not sure there is much you can do. I can't see anyway to rework the shot, either you like it or you don't. I think it's interesting, but maybe the dark side of the adjacent train was what they didn't like. Certainly there was light on the front of the car.

My two suggestions would be, try shooting with the train a bit further back, so the lighted side of the train isn't cut off by the lead car. The second would be, try shooting from 10 feet further back and let the cab car come around the curve just a bit further so there would be full sun on the nose. The light does trail of on the left side.

Michael Allen