PDA

View Full Version : Railfanning in Kentucky

Slopes09
10-22-2006, 04:45 AM
<p>I know there are at least a few Kentucky guys out there, so perhaps they can help me out here.</p><p>My family and I are going on a short vacation to Kentucky in a couple of weeks. We are going to Lexington to visit the University of Kentucky there and then to Mammoth Caves National Park. What are some good areas to railfan in those two areas? I should note that lines with a higher traffic density are better, because my family isn't to big on the whole "train" thing and usually doesn't like waiting too long. Either that or someplace scenic, where they can be distracted by that while I wait for a train. :lol:</P>
Thanks,
Mike

hoydie17
10-22-2006, 10:16 PM
http://jreb.org/ns

There are tons of guys here that are experts in the Kentucky "Rat Hole" (CNO&TP) as well as the various CSX operations in the area.

Suggest you register here and ask this question.

Sean

Save The Wave
10-23-2006, 02:18 AM
Have them drop you off at Park City when they go to Mammoth Cave. You will be on the main line of the (former) L&N RR. I would think it to be fairly busy.

Slopes09
10-30-2006, 04:21 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I'll have to see what I can scrounge up down there. :grin: Of course, first my parents need to figure out where we're staying. :lol: