PDA

View Full Version : Great American Train Store??

slackaction
12-02-2003, 05:01 PM
We used to have a "Great American Train Store" near here, but it has closed or moved. It was a great place to pick up RR vids, books, ect, and I was planning on do a little christmas shopping there this weekend. Does anyone know if this chain is still in buisness?? I did a search on the web for them, but didnt find anything.

Thanks

E.M. Bell
12-02-2003, 07:17 PM
I cant say for sure, but I am pretty sure they are out of Buisness. We had one Up in Louisville (KY), and it closed up a year or so ago. I always found the prices to be very high, compared to hobby shops and the internet, but the selection was decent. It seemed that most of the stuff was Thomas the tank Engine related...perfect for the yuppies :D

Guilford350
12-02-2003, 08:55 PM
They must be closing down. About two years ago we had one up here in a mall and next thing ya know, they're gone! :( Actually I've had 3 hobby shops up around my area close and move to an internet based business. Thing is though, I don't like to shop online, mainly because you don't get to see what your buying. Oh well, that's e-commerce for ya! :roll:

Chessie4033
12-02-2003, 11:31 PM
I think I remember reading the chain was closing back when the one in Pittsburgh closed. Something about the overhead from being in upscale malls being to much.

Railfanwindow.com
12-03-2003, 04:20 AM
The one in the Mall at Steamtown closed several years ago. I liked browsing that store, but the prices were way too high to buy anything.