PDA

View Full Version : Someone has to have a clue?

socalrailfan
11-06-2006, 03:13 PM
I thought after posting this photo someone would comment on what this actually is. I think most who looked at the photo probably didn't notice the weathervane on the front of the engine or the instrument car.

[photoid=163778]

Switched out
11-07-2006, 12:12 AM
The only thing I can think of is they are are measuring cross winds, possible the kind that blow high sided box cars of the tracks.

Islander
11-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Hi Dave

I know that from time to time railroads have looked into wind resistance and it's effect on fuel ecconomy. The weather station on the lead unit makes sense for that.

Some time back they found that coal trains could be built for better ecconomy (due to solid consistent consists). Where as trailers on flatcars presented problems due to the inconsistent hight and length of the trailers. Creating gaps in the train that broke up the airflow.

Have you seen this lashup here before or with other trains?

MH

socalrailfan
11-07-2006, 03:06 AM
No, but surprisingly I caught the same lead engine and instrument car in the Cajon Pass again today. Once again though the Santa Ana Winds were blowing pretty well out here today.

Have you seen this lashup here before or with other trains?
MH

Ween
11-07-2006, 03:24 AM
The only thing I can think of is they are are measuring cross winds, possible the kind that blow high sided box cars of the tracks.

There was an accident like this on the BNSF main between Fargo and Minot this summer as a stack train crossed a tressle. The wind was being funneled through the valley (hard to believe, but yes, there is topography in central/western ND) and caught the train just right and dumped a few containers into the valley below...

socalrailfan
11-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Didn't the covers of some coilcars recently get blown off on the coast of Central California? I remember reading something about it.

But yes I think they're doing a crosswind or headwind study during Santa Ana condition in the Cajon Pass. Both times I've seen it has been on those days.