PDA

View Full Version : Conrail C39-8

scottychaos
11-08-2006, 03:25 PM
This pic was just rejected, for "cloudy/common power"..
I appealed, agreeing with "cloudy" but arguing that you cant get much more UNcommon than a C39-8 in 2006! :)
Only 13 of the class are still operating, making it one of the rarest types of loco operating on a Class 1 today.
My appeal was also rejected..oh well, cant win them all.

But I am a huge fan of the old Conrail "humpbacks" and im glad I got to see one again before they are extinct for good.
I used to photograph the CR C32-8's and C39-8's back in the mid 80's..they are old friends.
All of the C32-8's are retired (only 10 ever existed, all bought by conrail)
only one survives, in Mexico.

The C39-8 is fading fast..13 operating, a few more sitting around in scrap lines..(161 were built..probably less than 20 remain.)
soon it may be just a memory.

just wanted to share what I consider "quite a find"! :)
thanks,
Scot

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/743/c398jpg10647rl6.jpg

JRMDC
11-08-2006, 10:35 PM
That certainly is rare power. Nice!

You can't reargue the rejection, but maybe you can reprocess the shot and resubmit. I think if you got rid of most of the clouds through a healthy crop form the top, you would reduce the "clouds" problem, which is significant in my view. Then, in the Remarks section of the submission, make a statement about the rarity of the engine.

I'd crop a bit from the right edge also, not much there of interest. Maybe play with the noise reduction also.

scottychaos
11-08-2006, 10:51 PM
thanks,
but I dont think I will bother to resubmit it..
besides, I just discovered the C39-8 isnt quite as rare as I thought!

turns out that "13 remaining units" statement refers to 13 remaining Conrail units on NS!
I thought it was 13 total on NS.
from another forum:

latest report from Chris Toth, the NS locomotive guru, there are a total of 67 C39-8's still operating on the NS. 13 of those are former Conrail units while the remaining 54 are original NS units.
and for what its worth, the Savage Alberta RR in Canada has a fleet of 11 C39-8's, 2 of which are former NS units and the remaining 9 former CSX (originally Conrail units).

Bryan Jones

im glad to hear there are more than I thought! :)

Scot

Studogg120
11-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Yeah. Those units look strange to me... but thats why I like them!!!

JRMDC
11-09-2006, 02:42 AM
im glad to hear there are more than I thought! :)

Scot

Good to know. I spend my time looking at CSX, but I like the way NS has such a cool mix of power, GP60s, these units, etc. CSX can get boring on power.

tomt
11-10-2006, 05:30 AM
perhaps a 'rejected photo' section should be added

and thanks for this pic...

some of my favorite photos are 'cloudy'

JRMDC
11-10-2006, 04:04 PM
some of my favorite photos are 'cloudy'

Certainly true! And your second pic is very nice, but the first one would be better if you could bring up the shadows a bit or, alternatively, go darker and make it more of a shilouette. Just my opinion.

tomt
11-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Certainly true!
Just my opinion.

you know, i'd like to, but their not mine!

http://www.midwinter.com/~koreth/russia/peter-churches/

more stuff, what's not mine,

looks good anyway-

http://members.chello.nl/e.stroetinga/

willie6622
12-25-2006, 08:44 PM
I always liked the Dash 7 & Early Dash 8 looks on the GE locomotives. I'm glad I was able to catch an ExCon C39-8 on a 2005 trip to the "rathole".

[photoid=102772]

scottychaos
04-24-2007, 06:53 PM
imageshack deleted the pic in the original post,
here is the picture again:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/scottychaos/C39-8.jpg

Scot

Joe the Photog
04-26-2007, 02:38 PM
I was viewing this page yesterday at work and thinking too myself how much I'd like to see a humpback C39-8. A few minutes later on my way home, yep, you guessed it, I saw not only an ex-Con C39-8, but actually saw the 8202! It was second unit out of two behind an NS Dash 9 heading out of Columbia, SC toward Augusta, GA. Unfortunately, the sun was high and my composition lacked, so I won't be sharing that shot with anyone.

But it got me thinking, Scotty, do you have any other rejected shots of rare units? Perhaps I could put in a request.

Or two.

:grin:

Joe

Amo de trenes
04-27-2007, 02:30 AM
Good to know. I spend my time looking at CSX, but I like the way NS has such a cool mix of power, GP60s, these units, etc. CSX can get boring on power.

I agree, I live near CSX, and most trains are led by two, maybe three, CSX dark future dash-9's. Some manifest's are SD40-2's and such, but barely. Nice power barely shows, with HLCX here and there. The other my nicest lashup came, a CSX SD40-2, HLCX, and a BNSF SD70M. That BNSF was 9799, creme and green I think it is called.