PDA

View Full Version : a little help, please!

jfusaro
11-14-2006, 07:16 PM
ok... i need some opinions on this one.

here is the original, unedited image, staright from the camera (DSC03519 original). lot's of foreground junk in the way.

i cropped it all out to get to this image (DSC03519 first attempt).

this image was rejected for being too soft/not sharpened enough.

so, i edited the image to sharpen it to look like this (DSC03519 second attempt).

this image was rejected for poor image quality.

is there any hope for this image, or should i just forget about it?

SD70MACMAN
11-14-2006, 09:28 PM
One big problem I see is that the train itself is washed out. But thanks to the mericals of technology, that can be fixed!

Here is my Photoshopped version. I kept the mirror in the corner because of the trains reflection, the top crop is the pole looks kinda cool in the middle, and the sign off to the right because it'd look awakward to chop that, and if it was cropped out of the picture, it would be too close on the side. Also the pole w/ the "60" on it gives the left side gives a nice parallel line for the left crop.
Steps I took:
-Highlight 22%
-Unsharpen mask 70% at radius of 1px
-Slight buring on the nose
-Assorted cropping

*edit* I just noticed, on the right side is a black line that travels up the shot, so it needs to be cropped a couple of pixles of the right side.

Cool shot of a cool train. I kind of like the clutter of the scene; it adds to the shot. Hope you like my hack at it!

Northern Limits
11-15-2006, 12:01 AM
I like Mike's crop. Gotta say that is an odd looking duck from the front. I think they must have taken the principal idea of a ship's bulbous bow in order to reduce wind resistance.

a231pacific
11-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Looks like a Platypus train! Mike's crop is good, my first thought on seeing the original was "keep the mirror" and keep the sign. Hope you get it in following his directions.

Michael Allen

socalrailfan
11-15-2006, 02:12 AM
Looks like a Platypus train!

That's exactly the word I was looking for regarding this, thanks!

jfusaro
11-15-2006, 11:03 AM
thanks for your effort, mike!

i like the results. your image looks much better. i will try to match what you did and resubmit.

talk about having blinders on... i never considered a portrait style crop of this image. i kept banging my head against the wall trying to make the landscape image work.

i really like this image, and the train, so i hope that i can get it accepted.

since y'all like the "ornithorhynchus anatinus" (a.k.a. platypus) train so much, here are a few more pics. i submitted them too, but they all got rejected.

Christopher Muller
11-15-2006, 03:31 PM
That's exactly the word I was looking for regarding this, thanks!

As was I. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jfusaro
11-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Looks like a Platypus train!

Michael Allen

Y'ALL STOP MAKIN' FUN OF MY CHOO-CHOO - RIGHT NOW! :)

MY CHOO-CHOO'S FASTER THAN YOUR CHOO-CHOO... :-P

a231pacific
11-15-2006, 05:58 PM
File Type: jpg DSC03530 - JR 700-1.jpg (187.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03529 - JR 700-2.jpg (258.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03520 - JR 700-3.jpg (205.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03518 - JR 700-4.jpg (240.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg JR700 prototype.jpg (121.0 KB, 3 views)
The first shot is really cool, but you can't tell it's a train, it could be a sports car!
The second shot is also pretty cool, but the railing sort of gets in the way. That's probably why it got dinged.
The third shot was also cool, but probably way too radical a crop for RP.
I'm a bit surprised the fourth shot didn't make it in, but the platform details on the left sort of clash with the modern swoopy train. Maybe cropping right at the right edge of the sign would work. Either that or the screener was frightened by an ornithorhynchus anatinus as a child! ;-)
Loved the fifth one!

From all but the front view, those are really swoopy looking trains, but from the front they are just plain goofy!

Michael Allen

SD70MACMAN
11-15-2006, 06:12 PM
No prob Jeff! ;-) You'd be shocked how many pics I have that were taken as landscapes that are now portraits.

I do see a strange resemblance between the first 4 pics and the 5th. It looks pretty strange/cool. To be that nose to be that, for lack of a better word, ugly, it really must be aerodynamic. Still doesnt look as good as the Acela, though.