PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Amtrak Locomotives

aem7demon
12-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Well, I've seen a lot of pictures for Amtrak and I have come up with a list of my top ten locs.

10. SW1500- may not be the best, but is the most improtant. I love the Phase IV paint.
9. C40-9W- I love to drive this train on MSTS. Plus, the standard of American freight.
8. EMD E Series, (E7, E8, E9) and the FL9. Love the look and design. Plus, they were great for passenger service and still are. The FL9 looks great as well. The movie Silver Streak inspired my liking of the E and F series.
7. Rohr Turboliner- I like the design of this train. The pre-Acela high-speed area. Thank God for geniuses in the 70's. Can't wait for the 7 to be refurbished and running along the NEC. (May become the next Metroliners)
6. GP40WH-2- MARC has some of these trains and I love the sound of these in push-pull service. Plus, they make me like the GP38s.
5. GG-1- Too bad I was born 5 years after they were retired. I would have loved them. The desgin was nice. Good people with good minds in the 30's. Long live the PRR.
4. E-44- These have to have been the most powerful electirc used for freight (well, it might have been the GG-1). Plus, the first time I've seen electric freight trains on the NEC. I wonder what the trains had to do if they were traveling south of D.C.
3. ALP-46- I love the design and I hope Amtrak buys some from Bombardier.
2. HHP-8/Acela trainset- The HHp-8 is the greastes looking electric I've ever seen. If you compare it to the GG-1, you might tell if the HHP-8 is the cousin of the GG-1. Plus, the Acela trainsets are the most luxurious trians ever. A big thanks to Amtrak for buying these. I wonder if they'll get the JetTrains.
1. AEM-7- I love the "Toasters". Best locs ABB ever made. These will survive longer than any other electric.

Oh, and I like the F59PHI's and the GE P Series.

iCe
12-03-2003, 09:43 PM
3. GE P42DC
2. HHP-8
1. Acela Trainset

Guilford350
12-04-2003, 12:00 AM
Here are mine:

3. AEM-7
2. HHP-8
1. Acela :)

Himphill
12-06-2003, 01:54 PM
All of this modern passenger power is just uninspired junk. Non of it will have the staying power of the biggest, baddest Amtrak (and PRR, and PC, and Conjob) juice jack of the all, the GG1. And lets not be hasty to neglect the E60 as well. They where ugly, rakeish, fast, dependable and got millions and millions of poeple where they needed to go.

A AEM7 has no soul, The acelas are a passing fad, and the P40s well, thats not the locomotive, just box it came in.

iCe
12-06-2003, 05:44 PM
On the contrary, I think American passenger rail modernized too slow. Only now, are we catching up with Europe and Japan.

iCe
12-06-2003, 05:44 PM
On the contrary, I think American passenger rail modernized too slow. Only now, are we catching up with Europe and Japan.

E.M. Bell
12-06-2003, 09:17 PM
I cant say I Care much for the looks of the Amtrak GE's,(P40s and kin) I Have ran them, rode on them, and photographed them, and they just dont cut it in any form....or looks. But then again, even the older passenger engines that GE produced like the E60 or the "Pooch" didnt have great astetic form. I was Never a fan of electric power, but the GG1 is just a classic american icon.

The EMD's are a differnt breed (with the exception of the F59s)... The F40 looked as great as it sounded...to bad there arent many of those left around.

iCe
12-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Yeah, the F59 is really the ugliest thing out there...

mojo628
12-07-2003, 03:27 AM
I'd say the ones that were on time...... but there's not very many of those around. :P

nsrayman
12-08-2003, 11:34 AM
my favorite is the EMD F40PH

here is a view of them pulling freight for NS.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=40602

milepost 48.1
12-10-2003, 04:11 PM
aem7demon, I think you mean P32BHW, not a C40-9W.

milepost 48.1
12-10-2003, 04:11 PM
<post deleted>

battalion51
12-11-2003, 08:11 PM
While the P-40's run best, and the P-32-8 is the best old schoolish engine Amtrak owns, I'm going to have to go with the P-42. The controls are set up well (bail in a good location comapred to a P-40 or P-32-8), the computers while retarted at times, to provide good information older engines don't, and the cab is very comfortable in my humble opinion.

E3429
12-17-2003, 09:18 AM
While I'm sure the newer locomotives are more fuel efficient and all than the older ones, in my opinion they're all getting a little boring. Between the wide cab C44's on up, SD---Macs, and Amtrak's P40 Dust-Busters, if I was getting started in this hobby today, I doubt I'd stay with it very long. It's about at the point where I won't even shoot a wide cab unless there's something extremely out of the ordinary about it. How many shots of an NS C44 do I really need?

Don't even get me started on the ever decreasing amount of actual roads (with the exception of Union Pacific as a class 1). How long before they all merge to one? Yeah, I know-business is business. Just doesn't do much for the hobby in my opinion.

Rant over.

ddavies
12-22-2003, 02:52 PM
Best Amtrak owned engine, GG1 of course.

Best engine to pull an Amtrak train ... C&O 614 :D

C40dash8
01-01-2004, 04:03 PM
5. E60 electric. Awesome pulling power, but unreliable and scary above 80 mph.
4. Genesis engines. Not much to look at, but more comfortable for the crew. Plus I'm told they actually accelerate a heavy train to speed better than the F40's. (I wouldn't have believed it).
3. GG1. An American classic, and the engine I grew up photographing. Many old heads would tell you this is the best engine they ever ran. Hard on the crew, though--hot in the summer, cold in the winter and noisy all the time.
2. F40. Practically bulletproof, in spite of Amtrak's "maintenance". The HEP made the unit run wide open all the time making it noisy inside but it sounded restless and ready at station stops. I'm glad CSX has two, even if they could have the ex-CR E8's instead
And the winner is.......
1. AEM7. Fast, reliable and comfortable. I rode a lot of miles on these during my career with Amtrak and the memories will make it my all time favorite of any locomotive.

I left Amtrak before the HHP's and Acelas showed up. But I would love to ride 'em both.

J
01-25-2004, 02:57 AM
Regarding the P40/42's ability to out-accelerate an F40, not too surprising if you consider the increased horse power.

As for the Acelas and HHP-8's, they've been plagued with problems. Just a few:

- Well-publicized cracking on the yaw damper brackets
- Decorative grilles along the roofs were in danger of falling off and had to be removed for re-engineering
- Traction motor ducts problems
Read the other day that more than 50% of the Acela train sets were out of service. Amtrak mechanical folks will tell you they wish the company had bought the ABB X-2000 design.

http://www.utu.org/worksite/detail_news.cfm?ArticleID=3532

BALTIMORERAILFAN42
02-09-2004, 02:36 PM
JUST AFTER AMTRAK WAS FORMED THEY RAN SOME OF THE OLD PENN CENTRAL GG-1'S STILL PAINTED BLACK WITH WHITE AMTRAK WRITING ON THEM. THESE WERE SOME WELL WORN BUT SWEET LOCOS

J
02-09-2004, 03:31 PM
March Trains Magazine shows final E60's being scrapped at Wilmington.

C40dash8
02-09-2004, 11:50 PM
That picture of Amtrak scrapping E60's is ironic considering that in the same magazine there is a mention of a shortage of electric engines! They actually lasted a lot longer than I thought they would.

Anonymous
05-01-2004, 06:13 PM
I really don't care for the looks of any of the Amtrash engines... best "looking" engines that I liked were the D&H's PA-1's

Gregory Wallace
05-15-2004, 04:22 AM
<<...like desperados waiting for a train...>>

I can't believe it -- somebody here actually quoted that classic Guy Clark song.

Way to go!

~Gregory

Chessie4033
05-18-2004, 02:08 PM
While I'm sure the newer locomotives are more fuel efficient and all than the older ones, in my opinion they're all getting a little boring. Between the wide cab C44's on up, SD---Macs, and Amtrak's P40 Dust-Busters, if I was getting started in this hobby today, I doubt I'd stay with it very long.

Boring? Come see the Water Level Route around Utica, NY. Granted there are more than our fair share of CW44-6's and AC4400CW's and the like, it also can be enormously colorful. In the past week or so, I've seen Union Pacific, Canadian National, BNSF (Heritage II, Heritage I, and blue bonnet), Norfolk Southern, and several leased locomotives (HLCX, GCFX, CEFX). Cascade Green is relatively common, be it HLCX or BNSF. Several older CSX units have also made appearences, including GP38-2s, a GP40-2, B40-8, B30-7 (I'm told, didn't actully see this one), C36-7, and a B23-7R. Conrail blue is still around and former LMS Dash 8s. They add a touch of color, despite being CSX. And, CSX itself has two paint schemes that are pretty common. Stealth colors show up occasionally, too. Amtrak also runs eight trains a day, usually running P42s or P32AC-DMs depending on the train. The other day a P40 came through. It is also not all that uncommon for all three of Amtrak's locomotive paint schemes to show up on a given day.
With all this, I never know what is going to show up, and it keeps me going back out there. It is not boring in the least.

E3429
05-19-2004, 12:05 AM
I still think it was more interesting years ago. Back before everything was 'X'ed. BNSF is the only one out there who seems to have put any thought into the paint scheme of their power. Sorry, the NS 'Horse Head' doesn't do that much for me or the others I hang out with here. The new CSX blue is ok, but CSX still doesn't sound like a railroad. We get a variety of mixed lease units here, too. First Union bank and Helm Leasing don't exactly conjure up images of a railroad either. Union Pacific still makes appearences. Usually in the form of a wide cab C-something or an SD70M. They're ok, but still. My opinion is that it was more interesting when the majority wasn't equipt with wide cabbed 6 axels and ditch lights and quick patched lease engines. Give me a shot of a string of Chessie or Southern units over a colorful mixture of black,grey,green,silver,maroon,
and what ever other color they come in now. If that's what people like, that's fine. Just not what I'm looking for. I see it kind of like when steam was replaced with diesel. You have to wonder how many fans lost interest
at that point. Just an opinion!

Chessie4033
07-28-2004, 09:37 PM
My opinion is that it was more interesting when the majority wasn't equipt with wide cabbed 6 axels and ditch lights and quick patched lease engines.

I can see where you're coming from, but I like the variety I see here. I grew up along Conrail's Fort Wayne line between Pittsburgh and Conway, where I knew all too well what was going to come down the tracks (yet more Conrail blue). The few Amtraks we had (the Capitol Limited and the Broadway Limited) came through between midnight and dawn. Also, back then there was plenty of standard cab SDs and GPs running around. Not a whole lot of variety, but I still wish I could go back and see it again.

I fell in love with wide nosed Dash 8s the first time I saw one (I know I'll get a lot of ridicule for that). Maybe it was because they looked radically different from anything else that was running on Conrail at the time. Aside from the SD80MAC, I don't think EMD's wide nosed locomotives look as sharp as GE's. They seem unbalanced to me, with the wide cab and thin rear. I also personally like the look of ditch lights on the locomotives. It adds a little something that is hard to place.

Give me a shot of a string of Chessie or Southern units over a colorful mixture of black,grey,green,silver,maroon,
and what ever other color they come in now.

I would love if Chessie were still around. I would trade all of this variety for solid Chessie trains again. They ran across the river from where I grew up, so I was never able to get over there and get some shots of Chessie (I was six when CSX paint started showing up). I remember them with fondness, though. But since Chessie is gone (but very much missed) I welcome the color that UP, CN, BNSF, CP, SOO, HLCX, FURX, GCFX, CEFX, etc. provide here on this ex-CR stretch of CSX.

LIRR04
08-27-2004, 12:45 AM
Personally I like the Genesis and the Acela HHP-8

dns860
08-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Even if they weren't all that reliable as was public opinion at the time (was it official opinion too?), I like the diesel locos Amtrak used in the early 70's. I am not 'Mr. Locomotive' and I suppose I could look it up, but I believe they were E9's, and they were painted silver with black noses and roofs and had their road numbers and the 'broken arrow' logo on their sides. To me, they were Amtrak's best-looking locomotives, though I suppose not their best performing, and not by a long shot.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=3953

I also like the F40PH. It's hard to believe I lived through their entire service life with Amtrak. Weren't they supposed to have lasted longer?

I generally don't have anything negative to say about locomotive appearances, but among the ugliest I would say are the Genesis type and the old New York Central boxcabs. What are the merits of the Genesis type's boxy design? I'm sure their designers had good reason for giving them their bulky, unappealing look, but whatever those reasons are isn't readily apparent to me.

The Acela Express is sleek and impressive, but I usually see them shuffling along through New Rochelle Station at slow speeds due to the 15-mph speed limit at Shell Interlocking. It irks me that they don't travel as fast as they could go if the tracks could handle them. I think the difference in travel time between an Acela Regional and an Acela Express between New York and Boston is 40 minutes, comparing trains #190 and #2190, for example. It seems the fare is the most noticeable difference!

I would have to say the NYO&W, Lehigh Valley and the Santa Fe Railroads had the best looking passenger locos, even though I've only seen pictures of them. The New Haven RR paint scheme on some of Metro-North locomotives also is very appealing.

Has anyone else had difficulty choosing the right exposure for their photos of Genesis locos? The angle of the nose seems to catch glare and ruin many of my otherwise properly exposed photos.

Dave

bnsf sammy
03-04-2007, 03:22 AM
Its a hard decision for me between the F59PHI and the Dash 8-32BHW.
[photoid=176069]
[photoid=133186]

Mark Rosnick
03-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Best looking...no doubt about it GG1's...followed by E8's. I know they weren't very reliable, but I still liked the SDP40Fs

Mgoldman
03-05-2007, 03:11 AM
You all couldn't help it....
How could you make an accurate list without knowledge of THE engine which belongs at #1 on any Amtrak list?

[photoid=69561]

I always like the E-60's, too. Lean and mean (and wobbly over 100 mph).
The Genesis units (which I didn't like at all) have grown on me. Modern F's with a menacing face. The fading stripes were cool.

/Mitch
Stop, look and comment!
<A HREF="http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11960">Click Here</A> to take a look at my photos on RP.

nwrails
03-05-2007, 03:50 AM
The best you say? You can't top the EMD F40PH and the SDP40F... :-D Of course, I have a little preference of the SDP40F's... :p ;)

I know they weren't very reliable, but I still liked the SDP40Fs

The SDP40F's could have been made reliable very easily. Simple modifications to the rear car body water tank would have solved most problems.

Once the locomotive were sold to ATSF, the locomotives had their steam generator equipment removed and operated for years with no problems on the ATSF and later on the BNSF.

At one point, Amtrak was even considering installing HEP generators into the units, but later chose to purchase the F40PH's from EMD.

Daniel
- SDP40F Restoration Project Crew member