PDA

View Full Version : Agh, your camera falls.........

socalrailfan
11-15-2006, 02:15 AM
Saturday was one of those bad days to start with. First I got the EX coming over with her family to get her stuff and a ton of other stuff going on, but as I'm getting her stuff ready I grab something on the counter and snag my camera's strap, BOOM, on the tile floor it goes! :shock:

Well the camera survived, but my Tamron 18-200mm lens went to heaven. Luckily I have my original lens to use, but nonetheless be careful with your cameras!

I'm gonna wait until January for the new Tamron 18-250mm lens! :-D

SD70MACMAN
11-15-2006, 05:05 AM
That really sucks, Dave.

I had a similar situation. After losing my camera in Decmeber while railfanning Donner Pass (and losing ALL the pictures), I finally got the money to get a new camera in Feb. 3 days after I got it, I was railfanning on a ped. bridge that spanned some tracks in Seattle. The camera was on a tripod and I was getting ready to take a time shot. As the train flew past and it was taking the pic, it blew over, with the camera attatched, crushed the built-in lense, and ruined the camera. I would have caught it had I not turned my back to watch the train. It cost me $115 to get reparied via Canon (I know its less than a lense, but it still sucked) and another month w/o a digital camera.

Ahh, so is the life of a camera.

Save The Wave
11-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Back in the dark ages when I was shooting slide and film (remember that stuff???), I was doing some lightning shots with a Pentax PZ1 and power zoom lens. I had the cable release in my left hand, and for some unexplicable reason, reached up and hit the quick release on the tripod.
It fell lens forward about 4 ft to the ground, destroying the lens and damaging the camera body. That was certainly my stupid human trick for the year.

Bill
11-16-2006, 12:41 AM
Do you guys have camera insurance? It's ridiculously cheap...I have mine as a rider on my home-owner policy, it's about $40 per year....covers everything, damage, theft, etc.

WembYard
11-16-2006, 08:18 PM
I had a mishap a few years ago when the camera strap came apart whilst I was climbling over a gate. Luckily the filter took the brunt of the impact, but both camera and lens were sent for repairs just to make sure - our household insurance paid for this, but insurance in the UK may work differently.

bcplouffe
11-16-2006, 08:44 PM
I'll second the message regarding insurance. I added a rider to my homeowner's policy that covers all my camera equipment for ~$30 a year. That covers dropping, theft, whatever.
I learned this the hard way, after I dropped my then-new D70.

Thanks

socalrailfan
11-17-2006, 04:45 PM
But what about deductible? I got home owners insurance that would cover it, but the $500 isn't worth a $400 lens. Now if the camera and everything broke! :D

John West
11-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Railfanning is rough on cameras.

I'll start with my trip to Petaluma to photograph the Cal Northern where the wind blew over my tripod and the telephoto lens did an imitation of a wide angle lens....but the camera survived.

Then there was the night shoot at Ely in the winter when I put the cable release in my pocket to keep my hands warm....and of course found some reason to walk away....and...well the camera didn't survive that one.

Then there is China in the winter. Okay, the ice is predictable but it cost my 80-200 a trip to Nikon to get the rattles fixed. The really embarrassing one was the small hill that seemed to be an attractive place to get a little rise....until I realized it was pig stuff. Ever heard the saying "slick as pig you know what"? Well it was. I was covered with it, as was my lens, which got another trip to Nikon.

Need to look into that insurance.

John

MichaelJ
11-20-2006, 01:34 PM
My Canon 350D has been hit by a car travelling at 70km/h. Luckily though, it was in my Lowepro Case! The case is now shreds, but there was not a scratch on the lenses or camera.

Mark Rosnick
12-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Back in the day (15 years ago) when I was astill a photojournalist, I had a Leica M4-2 on a tripod on an assignment, and the subjects dog knocked over the tripod and camera and 35mm lens went "smash-o". If it wasn't for the marine rider I had on my insurance, it would have cost me over $700 for repairs. My advice, play the small premiums, because it's nice to have repairs paid for when something bad happens.

a231pacific
12-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Ahhh yes, camera damage and railfanning!

Back in 1962, when I was in high school and looking to buy my first good camera, I asked a neighbor, who traveled a lot, what he would recommend. He said "get a Nikon F, they are indestructable!" I've had all sorts of things happen to my old F on five continents. It's got dents in it and although it's been retired for years, it still works.

My successor Nikons have taken a beating and I broke some ribs when I landed chest down on my N90, but the camera bodies all survived. I did have a brand new neck strap come undone and the FA and lens landed lens down on the railhead. This sent the lens in for repair, but that's it for film camera damage.

Video cameras, that's another story. Sony doesn't build them like Nikon! I had a tripod fall over in South Africa which sent my VX1000 in for repairs. I slid down a rain soaked embankment in the Ukraine and ripped the tripod mount out of the case, so back for more repairs on the same VX1000. Like John West, I fell on ice in China and found that the VX2000 does have a removeable lens! Wasn't built that way though! Thank God for duct tape in all of the above cases! The same VX2000 decided that 2 days of rain in Pennsylvania and Maryland was more than it could take, so it gave up the ghost yet again!

At this point, I'm having so much fun shooting digital stills, I haven't bothered to send the video in for repairs!

Michael Allen

CNW4404
12-19-2006, 02:28 PM
As I read on a different forum (forget which one; sorry if I'm stealing someone's quote)

"You always know the mark of a true photographer when you see a guy take a dive, then a few seconds later their bloody hand holds up the camera that they made sure missed the impact"