PDA

View Full Version : Rejection Help

sawblade5
12-06-2003, 10:26 PM
I had upload an image of an SD-9043MAC and they claim that it is taken at a bad angle. The picture is at http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=17736 . My Questions are:

What are they expecting in my Angle?

Do you have to be a profesional photgrapher to have photos acepted?

busyEMT
12-06-2003, 10:45 PM
I am nowhere near a proffessional photographer. So, no.

My thought would be that the engine appears to be falling; the horizon is angled down towards the righthand side.

E.M. Bell
12-06-2003, 11:35 PM
No, you dont have to be a professional to have your pictures here, most "profesional photographers" have their own website :) and you will find very few folks here at RP that get thier income from shooting trains.

I reviewed your rejections, and can offer a few pointers. Most of your rejected shots are "Roster shots"..ie, pics of just locomitves,, not in action, and in rather unscenic views. There is a place here at RP for rosters, but only under certain conditions. They should be well lit, not front coupled, and not have any obstructions in the frame..ie, guard rails ect

we had a lengthy discussion here in the forums a while back on this subject, feel free to check it out at

http://www.railpictures.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=383

sawblade5
12-06-2003, 11:54 PM
The problem with taking those roster shots it that the well lit side is in the busy rail yard, If I were to try to take a picture from that side I would be arrested for Trespassing on RR Property.

E.M. Bell
12-06-2003, 11:57 PM
The problem with taking those roster shots it that the well lit side is in the busy rail yard, If I were to try to take a picture from that side I would be arrested for Trespassing on RR Property.

I know where you are coming from...I have had to pass on many roster of odd ball power that I would have liked to have had because I couldnt get toi it. You will find many more chances for great shots outside of the yards and urban areas. With as many trains as you have in the KC area, try your luck out in the county or from other vantage points.

Curtis Wininger
12-07-2003, 12:35 AM
I don't think it's fair to say that your shot should be accepted because you weren't able to get the good one you wanted. If you don't get the shot, you just don't get it. The story doesn't really matter.

Try to work on getting a good, unobstructed, view of the subject and put it with some nice scenery. Also remember, the best power isn't always leading and there's nothing you can do about that.

Don't forget about the appeals process either. The forum probably will give you few results as far as the photo being accepted. It will let you know what other people think, though.

sawblade5
12-07-2003, 02:30 AM
Now about the reason why, I am still wondering about prfessionalisim is becasue I don't understand what certain rejections mean.

The photo at http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=17844 was rejected for "Too much compression". Can someone explain what that means?

I wish there was a page explaining these reasons a little further and how to fix them.

mojo628
12-07-2003, 04:25 AM
I wish there was a page explaining these reasons a little further and how to fix them.

Now doesn't that seem like a good idea?? :)

I'm still itching to get the definition of 'bad motive'. :wink:

mojo628
12-07-2003, 05:23 AM
I am nowhere near a proffessional photographer. So, no.

My thought would be that the engine appears to be falling; the horizon is angled down towards the righthand side.

A little edit in photoshop can straighten the angle.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mojo628/images/up8160.jpg

The photo is still a bit fuzzy/blurry though. I think that has to do with the high compression. Someone else will have to explain how to correct that.

sawblade5
12-07-2003, 06:26 AM
The photo is still a bit fuzzy/blurry though. I think that has to do with the high compression. Someone else will have to explain how to correct that.

They still won't accept the UP-8160 photo because having it front coupled and being a roster shot automaticallys disqualifies it for submission. I kinda think that is a silly rule but I guess its to keep the site from being overwhelmed with uploads. I did however redid the UP-919 Photo and uploaded it 2 different formats one with compresion and one without. Do you think they have any other reasons to reject it?

For now I make a rejection joke in my signature, I think you guys might like it.

Ken Carr
12-07-2003, 11:33 AM
Since becoming a member of this site I have received a number of rejection notices. I'm sure for the 100 plus photos I have on this site, I have another 30 plus rejection notices. Some I under stand others I'm not to clear on. I'm not pleased to received them. But each time I make a better effort at taking a photo.
As that train rushes towards me I strived to keep the camera level, be on the right side of the sun, frame the whole engine etc. Some times I get it right other times I don't, sometimes I submit a photo, lots of times after reviewing a roll of film I wonder what happen and do not submit anything since there is nothing good enough to submit.
So you may not get the answer you are looking for, you may not even understand it completely. But keep taking pictures, remmeber what your subject is and sooner or later your photos will be accepted. I'm sure most of us in this forum and on this site have received the rejection of our pictures. It did n't make us happy, even I have some down times involving rejection and I've voiced it in this forum. Just keep at it your pictures if not on site already will be.

sawblade5
12-07-2003, 02:38 PM
UP 919 was rejected for bad croping ( http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=17924 ). Is this a fixable problem?

BTW wish me luck on the KCS Christmas Train. I will be at Union Station to see it. It will Arrive at 5:30 tonight local time.

Curtis Wininger
12-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Which was it, bad cropping or too much compression? You said earlier that it was too much compression. To fix that problem, you should use a higher quality setting on either your camera or when you save them with your photo editor. I could see how that photo would have been rejected for too much compression, but not bad cropping.

Let's see if we can clear up some more ongoing confusion.

Bad: adj. More inferior, as in quality, condition, or effect.

Motive: n. An impulse that acts as an incitement to action.

Bad Motive: An incitement to action that produces an effect that is inferior to what is expected.

mojo628
12-07-2003, 04:58 PM
Which was it, bad cropping or too much compression? You said earlier that it was too much compression. To fix that problem, you should use a higher quality setting on either your camera or when you save them with your photo editor. I could see how that photo would have been rejected for too much compression, but not bad cropping.

Now here's where you have to pay attention to what the man wrote.

The first time he uploaded the photo it was rejected for bad compression.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=17844

When he re-uploaded it the rejection was for bad cropping.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=17924

All he appears to have changed is the compression. Same size photo and train positioning.

Perhaps if there is more than one thing wrong with the picture that should be stated in the rejection. This way an individual doesn't waste their time fixing the one problem they thought they had when there may be several things wrong with the photo.

Let's see if we can clear up some more ongoing confusion.

Bad: adj. More inferior, as in quality, condition, or effect.

Motive: n. An impulse that acts as an incitement to action.

Bad Motive: An incitement to action that produces an effect that is inferior to what is expected.

Well, how do you know what's expected when you didn't take the photo? It seems to me that this is all in the eyes of the photographer. What some find interesting or 'good motive' others don't. It's all about personal opinion. That's why there is some variety in the photos here. Some like shots with an old small engine junkyard and a hint of a train in the background others don't. To me that's "an incitement to action that produces an effect that is inferior to what is expected". But that's all in the eye of the photographer. Only the photographer knew what his 'motive' was at that time. I don't.

I'm sure there are photos in the database that one screener may approve while another would reject it. It's all about personal preference but I've drifted from what this thread is all about.

It seems all sawblade5 is looking for here is what the rules are and how to play the game. He can't get his photos online the way he's playing it now so he's looking for some guidence from the umps/screeners not more criticism. The suggestions and link that Mr. Bell gave should be quite helpful for sawblade5.

I still say sawblade5 has a good idea with having a page listing the rejections, explaining them and what to do to fix the rejections.

Guilford350
12-07-2003, 05:16 PM
UP 919 was rejected for bad croping ( http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=17924 ). Is this a fixable problem?

If you ask me, I think there seems to be alot of "headroom" in this photo. There's quite a bit of empty space in front of the locomotive. The only way I can think of fixing it is by cropping most of the space in front of the locomotive.

About the compression thing, what camera are you using? If you are using digital do you use the digital zoom at all?

Curtis Wininger
12-07-2003, 05:31 PM
I could reply, but I'm not going to. It seems that every time we have someone questioning a rejection, you have to bring up the bad motive subject and then pick on a photo that couple of screeners have submitted. It's always the same photo, too. You've made your point. I don't feel I can do anymore to help with your question.

Getting back to the subject of the forum:

Guilford is right. What camera, quality setting, scanner, etc. are you using? Message me through MSN, ICQ, or send me a PM with your AOL screen name if you would like. You could still post here to get the opinion of other people. It would be a faster conversation for me, though. I don't claim to be an expert, but I could at least maybe give you some hints on getting one accepted.

ddavies
12-07-2003, 05:36 PM
When I take a digital pic, the camera saves it in high resolution jpg format. If I work with it at all, it is saved in tif mode. When I upload an image to the web, it is resized and compressed depending on the image size needed. If I need to change anything in the image, I go back to the original tif file. Never work with a jpg file and resave it a number of times, because each time you save a file as a jpg, it gets recompressed again.

busyEMT
12-08-2003, 01:49 AM
Perhaps if there is more than one thing wrong with the picture that should be stated in the rejection. This way an individual doesn't waste their time fixing the one problem they thought they had when there may be several things wrong with the photo.

I wrestled with that exact thought as I submitted my first 50+ rejections. And what I decided was that, with the amount of photos submitted per day, the screeners find major faults with a single photo and reject it for that. I imagined how much time a screener could take to scrutinize a single photo - and realized it to be impossible. Not too mention, trying to fix one problem may create a whole new rejectable effect.

Although I do like the idea of a laundry list of "wrongs" with a submitted pic, I think it may not be a complete solution.

slackaction
12-08-2003, 03:34 AM
The UP shot appears to have a lot of grain, is washed out and has black specks on it, or at least thats my take on it. Dont be discouraged, I take it that you must be fairly new to the hobby, so give it time.

One tip I would give (Once again, just one persons opinion), get rid of that smart ass signature. It doesnt do anything for you, much like certain others on here that seem to be "stuck" on little things like no Motive.

sawblade5
12-09-2003, 02:59 AM
Well I'm now starting to get a hang of what they're looking for and many of my photos are now being accepted. Thank You guys and gals for your help on getting me started here. :)