PDA

View Full Version : Cab questions

bownasterm
12-04-2006, 03:25 AM
Do all train cabs have toilets in them? If so are they like airplane toilets and do they also use fresh water? Any pictures?

Also, do switchers have toilet? ive noticed on the green goat road switchers theres a toilet drain on the side.

Studogg120
12-04-2006, 04:49 AM
I think most of them have one. One time I rode on a locomotive that had one but it didn't work.

Tåg
12-05-2006, 05:56 AM
Most engines have toilets except some old Southern Railroad units, and yard goats. The new green goats do have toilets. They look kind of like airplane toilets, but are more like portajohns with that wierd blue water. They are usually pretty disgusting. I made a point of using the toilet in the UP 1996 when it was here a few weeks ago. :P

J
12-05-2006, 01:52 PM
49 CFR 229.137 lays out all the requirements for locomotive toilets. Members of the FRA Rail Safety Advisory Committee worked on this issue for several years. (Care to debate the definition of clean as it pertains to a locomotive toilet compartment?)

In short, new locomotives have them and all lead units on road trains must have a functioning toilet at the originating terminal. Defects must be corrected or another unit placed in the lead at the next calendar day inspection. Existing short wheelbase (switcher) units are exempt as are some equipment on short lines.

Not that you would want to, but you can read all about it here.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/05dec20031700/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/octqtr/49cfr229.137.htm

bownasterm
12-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Most engines have toilets except some old Southern Railroad units, and yard goats. The new green goats do have toilets. They look kind of like airplane toilets, but are more like portajohns with that wierd blue water. They are usually pretty disgusting. I made a point of using the toilet in the UP 1996 when it was here a few weeks ago. :P

i would have guessed that the heritage units have clean bathrooms :D

and the GEVO's too probably!

alan-crotty
12-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Here in the UK there are no toilets on the motive power, oddly some old (now mostly withdraw) units did have urinals.

I guess the poor driver just has to cross his/her legs :confused: , or stop at a station.

Alan

medic_pilot
12-08-2006, 05:07 AM
Am I mistaken, or didn't the early toilets on trains empty directly onto the tracks?

J
12-08-2006, 05:14 AM
Am I mistaken, or didn't the early toilets on trains empty directly onto the tracks?
You are correct - coaches and locomotives used to dump directly on the tracks. The urban legend is that it all came to an end when some senator was fishing underneath a bridge and was flushed upon by an Amtrak train in the early 1970's.

Tåg
12-08-2006, 07:13 AM
I have heard that Southern RR was too cheep to put toilets in its power so crews had to go in plastic bags. Initially the crews would just toss the bags along the route. Then the company decided that they didnt like this practice, and the bags were marked with the engines number, so the crews had to have that bag with them for their whole tour of duty.

J
12-09-2006, 02:09 AM
I have heard that Southern RR was too cheep to put toilets in its power so crews had to go in plastic bags. . . .
NS units had the dry hopper system whereby a plastic bag would be draped over a holder. After use it would be closed up and stored in a covered bucket for removal during locomotive servicing. While controversial, it did stand up in court cases brought by labor. Probably a major impetus for the regulation described above was their desire to ban this sytem. I have heard that some bags did find themselves flung into lineside wires or into the stomachs of wayside cattle. The railroad responded by having serial numbes printed on the bags for record keeping. Crews, of course, are resourceful and either brought their own bags or turned the company bags inside out before using. Happily this is all behind us now and NS units have standard flush toilets.

Rod Williams
12-15-2006, 11:47 AM
I remember when we first raised the issue of toilets on locomotives here in Australia. Management were strongly opposed as they argued it would result in loco down time for servicing and loss of power due to a defective toilet.
20 odd years later I would have to agree with them. It is not unusual to take over a unit in running with a foul smelling crap box that you wouldn't go in to throw up. And locos do get pulled out of running for toilet issues.
It all seems pointless to me to have them. Regulations forbid leaving the cab whilst moving so why not just stop at a lineside convenience placed at a passing loop or at some other suitable location. Simply notify the controller/dispatcher that you require a toilet stop. Ground based toilets have got to be easier to maintain than chemical units in fact if the user cleans up after themself there basically is no maintenance.
As for drop throughs, I think that the EPA might have had a hand in their demise in most civilised countries.

J
12-15-2006, 01:45 PM
* * *As for drop throughs, I think that the EPA might have had a hand in their demise in most civilised countries.
They're not found here in FRA-regulated roads in the US.

Tåg
12-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Its railroad etiquite not to set out a bad order in the lead unit. Most of the time we grab a yellow zone when we get off the power for roll bys, and use the trailing units in emergencies.

Truth be told I have bad ordered more power because of toilet issues than anything else.

bownasterm
12-16-2006, 02:49 AM
If there is a no dumping law then why are there pipes on the left side of the sd70ace's that say "Toilet drain" above them

J
12-16-2006, 03:23 AM
If there is a no dumping law then why are there pipes on the left side of the sd70ace's that say "Toilet drain" above them
They are dumped at service tracks.

bownasterm
12-17-2006, 02:13 AM
They are dumped at service tracks.

What is a service track, and are there any pictures on RP.net?

I have never seen these before lol!

Studogg120
12-17-2006, 04:03 AM
What is a service track, and are there any pictures on RP.net?

I have never seen these before lol!

You usually see them in yards where they keep the locomotives at.

J
12-17-2006, 02:53 PM
CSX
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=166102

Amtrak
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=100277

Tåg
01-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Here are some picts of some locomotive toilets:

http://www.csx-sucks.com/pictures/?br2.jpg

http://www.csx-sucks.com/pictures/?br1.jpg

medic_pilot
01-11-2007, 12:51 AM
errr... thanks Tag.

I'm pretty sure that my grandmother would NOT approve using this bathroom.

mst145
01-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Here's a pic I took of the toilet in a GP9.

http://mst145.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=544701

M.T.

J
01-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Here are some picts of some locomotive toilets:

Those are photographs of the Bogan toilet system (similiar to a "portajohn," they have a waste holding tank beneath the seat that is treated with chemicals. A baffle plate was installed to prevent people getting blue stains on their private parts. Based on the color of the seat, the baffle is missing or not properly installed. This system was found on older units and remains acceptable in the federal rule under a grandfather clause. The system has to be phased out as the units are sold / retired.

It is depressing to consider that I know so much about this stuff.

mst145
01-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Here's the toilet of a GE E44:

http://mst145.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1020262

M.T.

medic_pilot
01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
So the hand wheel next to the toilet... just in case you happen to be sitting down when you need to stop that train?

Burner50
01-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Its railroad etiquite not to set out a bad order in the lead unit. Most of the time we grab a yellow zone when we get off the power for roll bys, and use the trailing units in emergencies.

Truth be told I have bad ordered more power because of toilet issues than anything else.

WTF is a yellow Zone?

EMTRailfan
01-18-2008, 12:28 AM
WTF is a yellow Zone?

Only a guess, but to find a bush and make a stream.

CODE YELLOW, CODE BROWN.

In my profession in my area at least, it is Signal 100 or Signal 200.

medic_pilot
01-18-2008, 03:53 AM
In my profession in my area at least, it is Signal 100 or Signal 200.

Oooh, that's a good one. I've been hesitant to use Code Yellow/Brown around my patients and their family for fear they could put 1 and 2 together (no pun intended) :D

But Signal 200. Ha, I don't think they'll catch that. Can't wait to use it tomorrow (hopefully won't have to). Hehe.

bigbassloyd
01-18-2008, 04:05 AM
We used to have code yellow and code brown where I work, but when 9/11 hit the fan, code brown became an official code, meaning a shooting situation. Suddenly yelling code brown in the men's restroom in a 210,000 sqft store full of people was not the best idea...

Loyd L.

JimThias
01-18-2008, 11:36 PM
So the hand wheel next to the toilet... just in case you happen to be sitting down when you need to stop that train?
:lol:

The pictures posted by tag are exactly what I thought a locomotive toilet would look like. I think I'd probably do everything in my power to hold it as long as I could. Or maybe while held up in a siding, grab the TP and go find a nearby tree.

Joey Bowman
01-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Ive been inside the cabs of several locomotives but have never noticed a door that says "bathroom" or "toilet" Are they marked in any special way? Or could it be that the locomotives Ive been in are too old to have had them?

EMTRailfan
01-19-2008, 02:44 AM
I've only ever seen them in the nose. Even in a few Geep 9's.

Joey Bowman
01-19-2008, 05:21 PM
I've only ever seen them in the nose. Even in a few Geep 9's.

Even if its a low nose???

EMTRailfan
01-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Even if its a low nose???

Yep. From the cab ride in this shot.
[photoid=197366]
There are no exterior shots of this girl in the DB "yet", but look at the pic in my photog profile to see a profile nose shot of it.

Below is another shot that I took during the ride. The maroon cushioned edge is the top of the door, down into the nose and throne. The open door from the photo above is just off shot to the left.

Burner50
01-19-2008, 09:41 PM
here is a picture of where in the cab the bathroom is on a new GE

EDIT: well nevermind... i cant seem to get the site to allow me to upload it...

cfquinlan
01-19-2008, 11:15 PM
here is a picture of where in the cab the bathroom is on a new GE

EDIT: well nevermind... i cant seem to get the site to allow me to upload it...

Will you put the link in? I can't beleive all this is so interesting! Thanks!

J
01-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Some GE U-Series locomotives had a toilet compartment behind the cab - not too bad. Others had them in the (low) nose, accessible by a tiny steel door. I remember being impressed the first time I saw a Dash-2 with its stairway and handrail going down to a reasonable-sized door. EMD E and F units had porcelain toilets at the rear of the car body - pretty noisy place to sit and contemplate!

Northern Limits
01-20-2008, 04:25 AM

A trailing unit?? :o
[photoid=46265]

JimThias
01-20-2008, 04:18 PM
:lol: Good one, Jim.

Burner50
01-21-2008, 05:09 AM
I dont have a link, its just a pic i took long ago that shows where the toilet is in a widebody (if you dont know already)

noooope, still not letting me... I get a "this page cannot be displayed" message

EMTRailfan
01-21-2008, 03:48 PM
I dont have a link, its just a pic i took long ago that shows where the toilet is in a widebody (if you dont know already)

noooope, still not letting me... I get a "this page cannot be displayed" message

You have to shrink'em down for web size. Are you doing that?

Burner50
01-22-2008, 07:18 AM
<a href=http://www..com>This</a> is the page I get...

Burner50
01-22-2008, 07:29 AM
i'll just do it this way...

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj281/burner50_photos/shitter.jpg

Tåg
01-22-2008, 09:25 PM
WTF is a yellow Zone?

When trainmen need to go in between cars to lace up air hoses, tie handbrakes etc we call it going into the "Red Zone". Yellow zone is RR tounge and cheek for going down into the nose.

Burner50
01-23-2008, 07:33 PM
When trainmen need to go in between cars to lace up air hoses, tie handbrakes etc we call it going into the "Red Zone". Yellow zone is RR tounge and cheek for going down into the nose.

eh... we dont use it here

Tåg
01-23-2008, 11:05 PM
eh... we dont use it here

Red Zone? BNsf crews say "in between" on the radio, it means the same thing. Set and centered.

Burner50
01-25-2008, 01:59 AM
i meant the yellow one...

kinda weird

I do still work for the UP ;)

hoydie17
01-25-2008, 04:06 AM
CSX guys refer to it as going in between the "cut" or the "gap".