PDA

View Full Version : Bad angle rejection

andy buckley
12-09-2006, 07:47 AM
...at least it's not for 'poor quality' this time. But I had another similar photo accepted before (although different loco), so.... any advice/comments appreciated - thanks, Andy

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=314414

becker
12-09-2006, 11:56 PM
...at least it's not for 'poor quality' this time. But I had another similar photo accepted before (although different loco), so.... any advice/comments appreciated - thanks, Andy

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=314414

I like the pic, but I think it would have been better had you shown the whole locomotive. The pic also looks slightly unlevel.

Do you have other photos similar to these besides the one that was already accepted? Those might have a better chance of getting in. :-)

~Louis Becker

Switched out
12-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Hi Andy,

You could also try cropping the bottom and left side of the image to tighten up on the worker assisting with the coaling.

Also was this taken with the same camera you where having problems with in another thread recently?

Cheers,

Christine

a231pacific
12-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Andy,

I took a couple of cracks at your photo. One using Christine's suggestion of focusing on the worker, but unless your original photo resolution was fairly high, this degree of crop may not leave you enough image quality.

The second version is a tighter horizontal crop, keeping the cab so you know which engine it is. I also corrected the perspective a bit on both versions. If you look at your original shot, the two poles on either side of the photo are both angling out towards the edge. This is due to your position looking down and it being a wide angle shot. If you have photo shop, it's an easy fix. I also cropped the left one out, which I think improves the shot.

I also increased your saturation a bit to brighten up the colours and also sharpened it a bit.

Michael Allen

alan-crotty
12-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Andy,

I was just about to crop your shot when Michael beat me to it, They're fast in Michigan ! I would have cropped it about the same. There's a bit too much in the original phot so the viewer has a problem latching onto the subject.

Always ensure your phots have straight horizons/verticals that's probably one of the major reasons for rejection on this database.

Alan

andy buckley
12-10-2006, 08:21 PM
I was having a go at an alternative crop before I read your responses (thanks) - it's attached below. I wanted to try and portray a busy loco yard at the end of the day with engines arriving and being got ready for the next days working. That's why I had tried to include 'Bodmin' - the light pacific in the background.

Here's a general panning shot of the yard so you can see how busy it was (wmv format taken with my s602 (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andy.buckley/images/ropley.wmv) - and 'Yes', Christine, - these were with the same camera I was having problems with in the other thread recently :( ).
If you look at the film you can see that, unfortunately, from my vantage point, it isn't possible to include a whole loco whilst being coaled - I don't have a wide enough lens. I've gone for a slightly different crop from the one's Alan and Michael suggested.

btw am I right in thinking that 800x600 is an accepted size for rp.net?

andyb

Switched out
12-11-2006, 02:20 AM
Andy, attached is my suggestion for cropping.

In regard to the image quality of the photo I see significant improvement from the HST photo posted in the other thread. In my cropped suggestion I also increased the colour saturation and the contrast slightly and sharpened.

800x600 is an accepted resolution I believe.

Cheers,

Christine.

a231pacific
12-12-2006, 02:44 AM
Andy,

As usual, I think Christine has the better crop! The BR logo on the tender is a slightly out of focus and on your tighter horizontal crop it becomes a bit too obvious. Backing off helps. Her version still keeps the focus on the worker and less on the engine.

As to acceptable photo sizes for RP, 800 X 600 is the minimum. 1024 X 683 is the preferred size.

Michael Allen

andy buckley
12-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Yay!! - I emulated Christine's crop and 'tweaks' as best I could in PSP and it was accepted!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=168197

with a 'Fine Work!' comment from The Screener (many thanks!)

Thanks for your help and advice folks - especially Christine!

btw how do you reference RP.net images so they appear in the text?

andyb

CG_F45
12-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Excelent shot! :-)

To make it appear in text, follow this format,

[photoid=xxxxxx]

The X's are the photo's 6 digit ID Number, so...

[photoid=168197]

Or just quote me to see it done, hope this helps! :-)

Again, nice shot :-)

andy buckley
12-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks Chris - easy when you know how! ;-)

Andy