PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted for US visit

Rod Williams
12-15-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm an Aussie. I take the odd train pic and will be making my first visit to the US in May 07. I will have about 5 days on the North East corridor, some time in Buffalo and Toronto and would like advice on where to go for some good shots along with advice about where and when I can actually take pics without any police issues.
My pics on this site are under my name...Rod Williams
Any help or advice would be most appreciated as I don't have a lot of spare time and need to make the most of what I have available.

Ween
12-15-2006, 01:23 PM
when I can actually take pics without any police issues.

Can't speak for Toronto, but pretty much anywhere in the US you wil be free of police hassles. The incidents of police being an issue are so small and rare and the chances of it happening are infinitely small, but when they do happen, they garner alot of attention.

It's interesting to see that this would even be a concern from a foriegn visitor as I would think if it were me I would be worried about not getting stabbed or mugged or whatever in and around the cities you mentioned since it seems alot of rail action/yards tend to be in the less desirable parts of town (i.e. high crime). But, if you're worried about the cops...

Rod Williams
12-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Can't speak for Toronto, but pretty much anywhere in the US you wil be free of police hassles. The incidents of police being an issue are so small and rare and the chances of it happening are infinitely small, but when they do happen, they garner alot of attention.

It's interesting to see that this would even be a concern from a foriegn visitor as I would think if it were me I would be worried about not getting stabbed or mugged or whatever in and around the cities you mentioned since it seems alot of rail action/yards tend to be in the less desirable parts of town (i.e. high crime). But, if you're worried about the cops...

I guess what I had in mind was photographing from platforms on the North East corridor. I know of one Aussie who was roughed up quite badly by the railway police in Washington. He was photographing from a park and they waited for him to come back on the station to arrest him. Not knowing who these people were that were setting upon him he put up a struggle......big mistake.
I imagine that the only way I will be going to rail yards is if somebody volunteers their time to take me.
Naturally I would do ( and have done ) for a visitor to my home town of Melbourne.

dsktc
12-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Rod,

If you plan to visit Central PA, let me know.

There are many excellent locations in the area for rail photography.
For instance, Harrisburg is home to the Rockville Bridge and
Norfolk Southern's Enola Yard. The NS Pittsburgh line is
just minutes away.

Dave

I'm an Aussie. I take the odd train pic and will be making my first visit to the US in May 07. I will have about 5 days on the North East corridor, some time in Buffalo and Toronto and would like advice on where to go for some good shots along with advice about where and when I can actually take pics without any police issues.
My pics on this site are under my name...Rod Williams
Any help or advice would be most appreciated as I don't have a lot of spare time and need to make the most of what I have available.