PDA

View Full Version : Approaching RailPictures.Net's 1 year anniversary!

Chris Kilroy
12-10-2003, 04:47 AM
In two days, we'll be celebrating the one year anniversary of the first photo being added to RailPictures.Net!

In anticipation of this milestone, I would just like to thank everyone who's made it possible.

First, Chris Starnes, who's done so much to keep this site running on a day-to-day basis. It's very much appreciated, and the site wouldn't be here without you!

Also, to the screening crew... no matter what some people may say, I believe you guys do an outstanding job. You're never going to please all of the people all of the time, but the tremendous growth this site has seen over the past year shows that you guys are indeed doing a manificent job!

And above all, to the 750+ photographers who have included photos in our database over the past year. Without you, this site is nothing. I've spent countless hours enjoying the breathtaking and stunning photos uploaded here, and have had my eyes opened to different railroading genres, locations, and photography styles which I would never have otherwise had the chance to experience. So, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

--

I can't begin to describe how proud I am to be associated with everyone who makes RailPictures.Net what it is today, and indeed with the website itself.

In under a year, this site has gone from nothing but a bunch of code, and two determined administrators, to the largest and most visited railroad interest website on the web!

We're busier than TrainOrders.Com, and busier than Trains.Com -- two of the most widely regarded 'official' railroad information sites. Our photo database greatly surpasses the others out there, in terms of both quantity and quality of photos.

Yes, we have stringent upload standards -- and yes, that has alienated some people. But my goal, and the goal of the RP.net team, is to make this site appealing for everyone, from the casual viewer, to the die-hard train fan, to the railroad magazine editor looking for that particular shot for publication. A site like this must have standards to work, and unfortunately, sometimes those standards are unable to be met.

I do guarantee, though, that this entire team is commited to doing our absolute best to make a fair assessment of every photo, and to make what would be unanimously regarded amongst the team as the 'right decision.' We're human, and sometimes this doesn't happen -- but that's our goal.

I guess that's about it from my end.. but in closing, I'd like to just say HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAILPICTURES.NET! This first year has been an amazing ride, and it can only get better.

All the best,

Guilford350
12-10-2003, 12:05 PM
:) Happy Birthday Railpictures.net! :) Let's hope for many more to come!

busyEMT
12-10-2003, 03:06 PM
... and many moooooore!

E.M. Bell
12-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Well said Chirs, and Thanks. I have enjoyed being a part of the team, and look forward to many more fun years here. We have a great group of photographers here, and the stats speak volumes for the success of the site....58,270 Unique (counted once per day) visitors last week alone, and a average of 129,192 unique visitors per month!! 775 contributers, 32,621 (and growing) images in the data base....wow..

Happy Birthday RP!!

iCe
12-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Happy birthday and congratulations RP.Net!

I think this site is great! The standards are not too high and not too low, and the screening is consistent 99% of the time. This site has sparked my interest and taught me a lot! Very nice forums, too. Very well organized and moderated.

Good Job Chris & Chris, and all the screeners.

I wish RP.Net all the best and many many more members and contributors! :D

K.J.
12-10-2003, 11:55 PM
What more can be said.
RP is a godsend...May it reign superior forever.
And thanks to all those photographers and screeners for making my late nights bearable.

Ben Chapman
12-11-2003, 04:06 AM
CONGRADULATIONS RP.NET!!!!!!

I am glad to be apart of such an awesome site!!!! Looking forward to many more years and lots and lots of great photography!

S.C. Vermillion
12-11-2003, 04:40 AM
Whew a year already! Man time flies when watching trains! Happy B- Day RailPictures.net :) :wink:

bitburger
12-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Happy birthday from me too...

:D

Go for another few

petertenthije
12-11-2003, 09:48 PM
Congrats!

Keep up all the good work: webmasters, screeners and photographers alike!

dsktc
12-11-2003, 10:18 PM
Sincere congratulations to Chris Kilroy on the first anniversary
of RailPictures.Net. Because of his vision and the support
of his talented screeners, Chris Starnes, Curtis Wininger,
and E.M. Bell, RP.Net has become the premier rail photography
website.

I know it hasn't always been easy dealing with 700+ sometimes
temperamental photographers, but Chris and crew have persevered,
and created a great resource not only for us but for a public
that needs to be reminded that this industry with its roots in
the early 19th century is still a powerful economic and transportation
force in the 21st century as well.

If we can sometimes elevate rail photography to art - as is
frequently done on these pages - then we can all share the
pride of a photo well taken and strive to become better
photographers ourselves.

So, I would like to thank Chris Kilroy for creating this
extraordinary website and wish him and RailPictures.Net
great success in the future.

Dave

iCe
12-11-2003, 11:45 PM
Dave...very nicely put! :)

jdrtrainwatcher
12-12-2003, 03:51 AM
:D Would anyone mind puting the link to the first photo on this post,I would like to see it :wink:

Chris Starnes
12-12-2003, 05:33 AM
First photo....uploaded 12.12.02:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=1

CTS

Jonathan Guy
12-13-2003, 05:07 AM
I'd like to say thanks for a great year. I've really enjoyed the ability to take a railfan trip, upload a few selected photos and include them when telling the story on a few of the yahoogroups.

RP is making better photographers of us all. Sure, we may have photos rejected here and there, but I bet alot of us stop and 'compose' a shot before we just press the shutter release more often than before.

Thanks to all those behind the scenes that keep the site running, and thanks to all those submitting great photos from all over the world.

Jonathan

tbookout82
12-14-2003, 04:22 AM
Yes, well said to all. I have really enjoyed looking at the beautiful photos on this site, and sharing a little of my own work as well. I think the site has helped us all to become better photographers due to constructive criticism and the forums. I am still shooting slides and prints. I used to shoot 400 and 800 speed film most of the time, I have now switched to 200 or less most of the time. I am better at composing photographs and put more thought into composition than before. The only thing that I am still lagging is that I don't have a really good software yet. Hope to get Photoshop or Photoshop Light sometime. Scans of slides have generally been low quality, and I have a grain problem with a lot of the 400 and 800 prints when scanned. All who use scans feel free to join in the forums on that subject. Thanks to those who have shared already. This is a great site for the railfan and photographer! Happy Birthday RP.net!

KCSRailfan119
12-15-2003, 07:10 AM
I've only been in the hobby for about 6 months now and have already made many friends and contacts after posting my photos on your site. Keep up the great work and lets keep it going for many, many years to come.

Thanks to ALL the photographers for the shots not everyone gets to see. Keep it up !!!

nsrayman
12-16-2003, 11:30 PM
Congradulations Guys ! & HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAILPICTURES.NET !!

psa188
12-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Congratulations on completing your first year. I'm certainly glad that this site has grown so fast.

If I could offer a bit of constructive criticism, the upload menus need to be modified to make it easier to upload photos not taken in USA or Canada. I suggest you use the location upload menus at jetphotos.net as a template.

busyEMT
02-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Now that the first anniversary has past, the next milestone quickly approaches: 50,000 photos.

dns860
06-17-2004, 07:39 PM
My name is David. I've had just 3 out of I think 30 photos accepted, but I don't mind. Because Railpictures has high standards, I am very proud of the three photos you did accept. I'm new to rail photography, and I'm definitely learning from the rejections. My camera, a Minolta DiMAGE S-414, isn't top of the line, but I intend push it to its limits and get the best pictures I can from it. I have a tripod, I have image editing software, and I have a busy railroad right behind my apartment building. I hope you won't mind if I keep trying to impress you. Maybe one day I'll have more photos accepted than rejected. Gotta start somewhere, right?

Great site, great pictures! Keep up the good work!

David
Mt. Vernon, New York :wink:

Guilford350
06-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Now that the first anniversary has past, the next milestone quickly approaches: 50,000 photos.

Looks like we've reached that - now we're at 55,000 photos! Next stop, 100,000!

mr_bnsf
09-23-2004, 05:46 PM
hi every body iam mohamed from egypt .... as i think every one will read this will be angry cuz iam egyptian but i will see one thing dat railroads and trains r my life .trains are like the air and the water according to me i think dat the trains modelers and the trains photographers are some ppl who have creative mind .after this talking about my self at first (happy birthday railpictures.net) iam very happy of dat great site iam every day visit dat cool site i think dat that site is biggest website of rail pics data bases and i will say some thing i love trains for 16 years so i did every thing dat any one can imagine in trains i also drive agreat loco here in egypt called (henschel) its agreat feeling dat u can move ahuge thing like amountain by pressing in abutton so i wanna to say another importanat thing as i say day ilove trains for16 years here in egypt this hobby of trains is very rare hobby so i wanna any brother of my brothers to help me to be better in dat great feild and iam waiting for yur replay iam feeling sleepy i will go now and happy birthday railpictures.net oh i will forget my e mail (railroad4ever@yahoo.com) bye brothers :)

VRE Man
10-09-2004, 02:48 AM

Looks like we've reached that - now we're at 55,000 photos! Next stop, 100,000!

It must take a HUGE..........Amount of space to store all these photos on RP not to mention the 300,000+ in Jet Photos!

How do you do it?

Best Wishes for the upcoming Second Birthday for RP.net!

JB