PDA

View Full Version : change photo quality w/out retaking picture

B.Erdmann
12-19-2006, 12:09 AM
help me please,

the screeners rejected 3 of my photos for having poor quality? i think its ok but if they think its bad i guess it is. can some one help me heres a photo that was rejected.

becker
12-19-2006, 01:22 AM
help me please,

the screeners rejected 3 of my photos for having poor quality? i think its ok but if they think its bad i guess it is. can some one help me heres a photo that was rejected.

It really should have been hit for poor lighting/cloudy rather than poor quality. It also looks a tad bit unlevel. Try taking the picture again on the sun side and it should work a bit better.

Note too that it looks like you have sized the image down since submitting it so that makes it difficult to determine whether or not the quality is poor.

~Louis Becker

B.Erdmann
12-27-2006, 11:28 PM
well i did makei t larger but shrunk it down,

who knows if i will se these units again i live a hour from stevens point & dont have time to go their eveyrday so thats why i want to know if i can change the quality w/out retaking it

Frederick
12-27-2006, 11:41 PM
It isn't possible to add detail to photos.

WembYard
12-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Always take pictures on the maximum quality setting on your camera (RAW files are preferable if your camera has the facility). Also never adjust the original, make a copy and work from that.

B.Erdmann
01-02-2007, 08:59 PM
what would be the best quality for my camera

i have a 4.1 mega pixel

qualities

4M F

4M N

3:2

2M

1M

03M

i used 03M for them pics

Ween
01-03-2007, 12:23 AM
For a start, read the owner's manual. That'll give you an idea on which of those options will give you the maximum image size/resolution...

alan-crotty
01-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Best quality is best,

I don't know which camera you have but...

4M F, means 4 mega pixels Fine quality, that's the best your camera will produce, unless there's a RAW setting you haven't mentioned.

As Ween has said, read the manual, become familiar with your camera so that using it is second nature, experiment, see which setting give you the results you like.

But most importantly get out there and take some phots.

Alan

alan-crotty
01-03-2007, 10:12 AM
I just downloaded your phot and checked out the file info.

Seems you have a Fuji Finepix A345 which has a 4Mp capability.

http://www.cameras.co.uk/details/fuji-finepix-a345.cfm

http://www.cameras.co.uk/specs/fuji-finepix-a345.cfm

The links above give a review of your camera, you will see that the shutter lag is around 1/2 sec don't expect too much if you try for moving subjects.

You chose to use the lowest quality that your camera can produce 03M.

Produces only a 640x480 image, the top setting would give you a 2,304 x 1,728 image.

As I said above try using the best quality, then re size down for railpics

Also I see you used an ISO of 64, the conditions appear a little dull for such a low setting, this will have caused you to use a wide aperture f3.8, results in lower quality, and a low shutter speed 1/100 second, may allow a bit of camera shake?

I see, unfortunately that the A345 gives you no control over shooting apertures and/or shutter speeds, except that one of the modes is 'Sport', I suspect that this will give you the benefit of the camera choosing a higher shutter speed for you. Setting a higher ISO, say 200 will also encourage the camera to set a higher shutter speed smaller aperture combination. The downside is that the image quality will suffer if too higher ISO (400) is used?

As I have already said, experiment at different settings by snapping cars or lorries in various conditions near home, get to know what gives you best results before you go out taking rail phots again.

That will give you the opportunity for success! :-D

Alan

alan-crotty
01-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Do you use any type of image editor after taking your shots?

Whilst your shot will never be a great railphot it can be improved.

First the camera must be held straight so the loco is square in the phot.

I've left a white edge to show how far out of square you were.

Next adjust the levels and saturation.

Then a touch of sharpening.

BTW I looked at some of your other rejections, there appears to be a problem with your lens, grease spot or finger print on the glass.

Needs a clean (carefully) that alone will improve you image quality.

I think Andrew advised you to look at the thousands of shots on this site and learn.

That's sound advice, from this you will get a much better idea of good composition.

Also, checkout other reject threads on this forum, there are a lot of very good snappers out there always happy to give advice, we only learn from seeking out solutions to problems.

Alan