mojo628
12-11-2003, 08:36 PM
There just some people in this world that aren't right. :x

Thursday, December 11, 2003

Retriever tied to track survives neglect, train

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/121103/new_20031211049.shtml

By Sharon K. Wolfe
swolfe@pantagraph.com

BLOOMINGTON, IL -- A neglected golden retriever survived someone's attempt to kill him by way of locomotive Wednesday.
The dog -- about 10 years old and now nicknamed Amtrak -- was tied to railroad tracks somewhere along a one-mile stretch from Bloomington's Six Points Road to Miller Street, said Dave Severino, president of the Humane Society of Central Illinois.

It seems the dog avoided being struck by the 3 a.m. train by staying in the middle of the tracks, Severino said.

"He was tied so he could be killed," he said. "You can see the train wheels have damaged the (leash)."

A man brought the dog to the Humane Society of Central Illinois' shelter on Tuesday afternoon. The dog's owner had not been identified Wednesday.

The golden retriever had suffered a long time before the attempt to kill him, Severino said.

The dog has seven tumors, 3-inch toenails and bald spots over almost half his body. He had been tied up so long the hair on his neck was gone.

And he has a "terrible thyroid problem," said Severino, who added the dog had not been starved.

The dog is in a veterinarian's care as authorities seek the owner and volunteers look for a new home for Amtrak.

The dog's survival doesn't lessen Severino's anger at the person who treated him so poorly.

"We're going to flog him at high noon in the courtyard," he said of the person.

Aggravated cruelty to animals is a felony punishable by up to three years in prison.

Perhaps most amazing, the dog is still friendly. Severino said if he were a dog and had been mistreated to that degree, "The first son of a gun who came up to me, I'd bite him in the a- -."

Three people already have volunteered a reward totaling $1,500 for information in the case.

E.M. Bell
12-11-2003, 09:28 PM
Former dog owner should receive the same treatment....

iCe
12-12-2003, 12:10 AM
That should be treated the same way as attempted murder... :x

Guilford350
12-12-2003, 12:41 AM
How cruel :evil: :x

S.C. Vermillion
12-14-2003, 03:41 AM
:( This makes me mad. I have a 3 year old Golden Retriever named Phoenix. They make great pets. Very smart. To the guy who did this I hope he gets what he deserves! That is to be tied to a intermodal train and draged down the tracks.

urslow
12-14-2003, 04:13 AM
I hate people that do that crap to animals. :x :x :x :x :x

TJ Mahan
12-15-2003, 12:34 AM
It is very upsetting the way people treat dogs. Proof by seeing 4 little white puppies between the rails the other day...amazing how bad people can neglect their animals. :cry:

Save The Wave
12-15-2003, 01:54 AM
Former dog owner should receive the same treatment....

I'll gladly help tie the knot. What a scumbag.