PDA

View Full Version : Screeners - hate 'em, love 'em

Northern Limits
12-29-2006, 01:42 AM
What a day. It took 4 trys to get this photo accepted. I thought it was good enough to start with - but not for the Screeners :cry: . At the end of the day, even after a lot of muttering, I appreciate the Screeners for pushing me to make the picture just a little better. Being a 35mm user, I don't always see the digital editing posibilities.

[photoid=169747]

alan-crotty
12-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Hi Jim,

Well done for your perseverance !

I love the screeners because they keep up the standards :-D

Alan

becker
12-29-2006, 02:57 PM
I love the screeners because they keep up the standards :-D

I agree 100%. I might be cursing them when they reject an image :lol:, but when I pull it into photoshop, re-work it, resubmit it, and get it accepted, I realize that the second result was much better than the first. :)

~Louis Becker

Mark Rosnick
12-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Nice shot Jim. I'd still be shooting w/ 35mm if "Uncle George" still made Kodachrome and Polycontrast paper. I'm still getting used to the new technology, but you can teach an old dog new tricks.

J. E. Landrum
12-31-2006, 12:36 AM
You can always spot a screener by our burned off ears :-) Nice photo!

WisconsinCentral
12-31-2006, 03:30 AM
Hahaha! Ya, the thing that really makes me mad, is when Ive been trying a photo a few times with a screener and they keep telling me what I can do. So i end up doing that, and a new screener takes a look and its rejected for something totally different than the original screener was looking for... Oh well,

Alec

John West
01-01-2007, 03:54 AM
I was thinking about the screeners when today's backlog of submissions got to something like 151. Thankless job, but it is what makes this place better than most. You can accuse them of all kinds of sins, but the fact is that without them this place could not exist.....somebody has to set a standard, even if that standard is inherently judgemental and not always totally consistent. Like everyone else I can get really pissed when something gets rejected, but most of the time it leads to a better submission later on. Thanks screeners!

But no less important than the screeners are the folks who take the time to comment on "rejections" and similar subjects in the forum. There is a lot to be learned from carefully following some of the discussion there. The stuff I'm submitting now is a lot better than the stuff that I was submitting six months ago.....because I've learned a lot from just listening to some of the sage advice offered about how to use Photoshop better.

Anyway, here in San Francisco it is 8:44 p.m. New Years Eve, so time to hit the bottle(s) and wish everyone a happy and prosperous New Year. The pix may be a bit blurry for me tomorrow morning.

John West

socalrailfan
01-01-2007, 05:07 PM
What I like, but doesn't always happen, is when they reject a photo they giove you a comment on what can be done to improve it. That little personal touch goes a long way with me.

Northern Limits
01-02-2007, 03:16 AM
What I like, but doesn't always happen, is when they reject a photo they giove you a comment on what can be done to improve it. That little personal touch goes a long way with me.

Oh do I agree with you on that one. Especially as a newbee, I am still learning what the parameters are for acceptable shots, so a little clarification goes a long way in improving the quality of my shots.
As with the shot that started this thread. I had used unsharp mask, but it apparently wasn't enough. The screener on my third rejection suggested I sharpen the picture more. That surprised me, but I tried it and voila - a much better picture!