B.Erdmann
01-02-2007, 09:07 PM
these photos were rejected again

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=321672

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=321492

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=321485

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=321483

if you cant see them after a while ill put them on

i dont get why the screeners keep rejecting my photos. how am i suppose to know right angles & stuff im only 14.

Christopher Muller
01-02-2007, 11:09 PM
All are poor quality. The caboose you are on the wrong side, the light is in front of you. The last shot you can't even read the writing on the logo. They aren't only your photos that are rejected. I'm not going to tell you how to compose your shots, but if you want them on this site, take a look at the other accepted photos. You have one thing going in your shots though, they are level. My biggest pet peeve is seeing unlevel photos and there are a lot that are accepted here. Keep working on them, are you using digital zoom at all?

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
01-02-2007, 11:24 PM
these photos were rejected again

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=321672

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=321492

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=321485

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=321483

if you cant see them after a while ill put them on

i dont get why the screeners keep rejecting my photos. how am i suppose to know right angles & stuff im only 14.
Not meaning to sound like a smarta$$, but there are over 146,000 photos on the site so that may give you some idea of what they accept. I started putting photos on RP in 2003, I am now 18, that means I was 15 back then which isn't that far from 14. The only difference is that my rejection numbers were 100 times higher than my acceptions. Like many other "newcomers" it took me a goo dnumber of months to get my first shot added. After I started paying attention to what they accepted I started uploading my best stuff not all of it. Since you posted these in the forums I will evaluate what the screener(s) failed to say.

Photo 1. It got canned for poor image quality which isn't really the first thing I noticed. It looks like this is straight out of the camera and is soft meaning the details seem blurry. Sharpening in a photo editing program is almost always necessary as in this case. The next thing I notice is the cropping. There is too much "dead space" on the left and top sides of the photo. Since there isn't much of a subject or scenery in the photo you can chop off the area around the locomotive. Not too much or the photo has no breathing room. Looking at photos in the database will give you an idea of how much room to leave. Looking deeper into the photo I notice two things that turn me off to the shot. The first thing is the lack of nose light. You did a good job taking a "side angle" but I still notice the darkness up front and without an interesting scene it really stands out. The second thing I notice and actually just learned to notice this past year is the pole sticking out of the engine. It's just not pleasing to look at and it makes it look like its growing telephone poles! Taking the photo a few seconds later would have partially solved the lighting issue as well as the pole issue.

Photo 2. Very cool power in this shot but again you need to sharpen it in some program. The idea is to make the words and numbers clearly legible. Some might consider this a "bad angle" because it is a side view and slightly "going away" but I think the wacky power makes up for it but thats my personal taste. Once again you got a pole sticking up out of the loco which could have been prevented had you taken the shot a second or two earlier.

Photo 3. Too many ideas in one shot. To me it looks like you wanted a pic of th caboose but you chopped of the ends, but then I read the caption and think yuo wanted to emphasize the WC lettering. The way you set the shot up, you didn't really accomplish either for RP's standards. The photo was taken directly into the sun which is a big no-no for photography unless it is used creatively or artistically. This would fit into the roster shot of a caboose and would need the sun to be at your back.

Photo 4. I don't exactly get the screeners rejection reasons, but I do agree with the bad angle part. Once again the pole is a killer as well as the side angle. I guess there should be a "poor composition" reason but that would get too many negative reactions but a shot of just a loco sitting in the yard has been done before. If this happened to be a rare loco such as an SD45 or something I think it'd be a different story.

Most importantly if you didn't read any of that read this: Shoot what you want to shoot, how you want to shoot. Take pictures for yourself not to get them on RP. Ultimately, learning the "standards" of the site has made me (as well as a few others)[a] much better photographer(s). I don't go trackside thinking okay now what kind of shot would be accepted, but rather what will I enjoy looking at when I get home, in a week, in 5 years, etc. HAVE FUN! Its a hobby to enjoy for yourself, it shouldn't be stressful, its not a job.

If you look back through the forums you will find many people have asked why their photos were rejected or how they can improve. Sometimes having another set of eyes look over a photo will make you see what's wrong about it or rather what could be better about it.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Ween
01-03-2007, 12:21 AM
how am i suppose to know right angles & stuff im only 14.<!-- / message -->

Not sure what right angles have to do with the 4 rejected photos you posted, but still, I think at 14 you should know a right angle is a 90 degree angle. Speaking of your age, don't use it as a handicap, as in, "I'm only 14..." when it comes to your photography. There are plenty of teenage photographers that contribute to this site and are quite good at it. Use this time to learn the art and the acquire the skills that you'll use later on...

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
01-03-2007, 12:59 AM
... I think at 14 you should know a right angle is a 90 degree angle.
HAHAHA! That is the funniest thing I've heard in a while, thanks I needed that.

IC 6071
01-03-2007, 01:47 AM
I started at 13 and a half, I just turned 15 in December. Not trying to be harsh, but get back out there and learn from your mistakes. It isn't easy, especially at first, but post here in the forums, and we'll do our best to help you out, and give you suggestions for what to do next time.
-Adam

B.Erdmann
01-03-2007, 03:34 AM
hey,

i have more pics of the caboose

hows these?

by the way i did take one of a sd 45 & it got rejected

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
01-03-2007, 03:42 AM
hey,

i have more pics of the caboose

hows these?

by the way i did take one of a sd 45 & it got rejected
It looks like there is a fingerprint or some kind of smudge on the lens. And its just a picture of a caboose with distracting bushes in front of it and annoying powerlines in the background. This site isn't about accepting random caboose or locomotive pics that give no sense of location or something extra.

WisconsinCentral
01-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Hey man,

First off, dont act like the screeners hate you. There are reasons those were rejected for, and a few people have already went in to detail about those. And thinking about it, 14 isnt really that young and a "handicap" as others have said, as Im 14 also. I started taking pictures when i was 11, and I'd say by the time i was 12 I really understood what to look for in terms of a shot. I used film at this time, and before that I was using a non professional film point and shoot camera. The point and shoot shots were disapointing, because they were blurry, and soft. I really regret that because I was out shooting sets and sets of WC SD45s. So what I did to help me learn even more was work my way to better camera's. The camera doesnt make the photographer, but it definately helps. Maybe for your birthday ask for a new camera, or for Christmas next your or something. And dont worry about this site, just enjoy taking pictures. Once you become more familiar with the basics of photography, you'll be much more pleased with the results. So just take a look through shots here, and think of when you could be in a similar situation. But dont get discouraged, you WILL get a shot or 2 on here if you keep trying. BTW, I do like what your shooting ;)

Alec

Ween
01-05-2007, 01:42 AM
And thinking about it, 14 isnt really that young and a "handicap" as others have said,

Just to clarify what I wrote, I was saying don't try and use the fact that you are 14 as a handicap on your abilities. I wasn't saying being 14 is a handicap, but rather don't use that as an excuse...

scottychaos
01-05-2007, 04:27 PM
the problem is clearly your camera..
it is simply too basic or too old to give good quality digital photos,
the resolution is far too low, resulting in poor quality photos.

or they are scans from a low-end film camera.

its not you, its your camera!
you need a better camera.

Scot

JRMDC
01-05-2007, 05:02 PM
A bad camera is certainly a possibility, and may be a contributing factor, but there is evidence that BE needs to improve. So let's not (perhaps unintentionally) give the impression that it's only the camera.

- BE needs to learn about shooting into the light vs with the light
- BE needs to learn some basics about post-processing, such as increasing contrast - also, the contrast setting on the camera may be ill-chosen - also, sharpening
- something is causing all those power lines to get the jaggies - maybe the camera, maybe bad processing

However, it is certainly possible that the camera is a problem ALSO. What is the camera? What software is being used to process the image after it comes out of the camera?

the problem is clearly your camera..
it is simply too basic or too old to give good quality digital photos,
the resolution is far too low, resulting in poor quality photos.

or they are scans from a low-end film camera.

its not you, its your camera!
you need a better camera.

Scot

WisconsinCentral
01-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Just to clarify what I wrote, I was saying don't try and use the fact that you are 14 as a handicap on your abilities. I wasn't saying being 14 is a handicap, but rather don't use that as an excuse...

I meant the same thing Ween, I agreed with you.

Alec