PDA

View Full Version : help w/ some more rejections

B.Erdmann
01-09-2007, 12:05 AM
hello,

i took some more photos in stevens point & they got rejected i revised some a bit & got rejected again. i took these on 2M for quality a better quality that i learned in my camera manual. the part where it says cloudy day shots aint accepted well i see cludy day shots on here & it wasnt my fault it was cloudy. any help please help me

links

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325619

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325630

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325637

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325837

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325838

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325840

Ween
01-09-2007, 12:19 AM
the part where it says cloudy day shots aint accepted well i see cludy day shots on here & it wasnt my fault it was cloudy.

This sounds like a 14-year old here. Of course it's not your fault, but that's no justification for having your photos accepted.

Clouds are the least of your worries on these shots. The big two problems are composition and backlighting.

For composition: at least 3 (maybe 4) have the subject (the locomotive) cutoff of the frame. The front pilot on one, the rear pilot on the other, and the wheels/trucks on another. Make sure your subjuect is fully in the frame.

For backlighting: especially on the GTW/CN unit, the subject is between you and the sun: a no-no in most situations. Shoot with the sun to your back (I know it's cloudy, but that's not the point). And I know it's a yard and you couldn't get to the other side of the train. No problem, but if you choose to take a pictures under those circumstances, don't try and upload it here.

Comparison is your biggest friend here. Look through the database and see what routinely gets accepted here. There will always, ALWAYS, be exceptions to the rules like backlit shots and the like, but look at the majority of photos that get accepted. That should give you a clear indication of whether your stuff will pass muster or not. Good luck!

socalrailfan
01-09-2007, 01:46 AM
They all seem to be backlit, poor lighting and fuzzy to me. Try on a better day. None are salvageable.

Switched out
01-09-2007, 10:02 AM
hello,

i took these on 2M for quality a better quality that i learned in my camera manual. the part where it says cloudy day shots aint accepted well i see cludy day shots on here & it wasnt my fault it was cloudy. any help please help me

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325838

Hi B,

Cloudy shots are very hard to get accepted here at the best of times, everything has to be spot on. Exposure and framing of the photo have to be top notch. Now lets take Weens advise and have a look at the photo below (Just happens to be the same loco as in one of your shots :) )

[photoid=31992]

Have a look at the way the photographer as positioned the loco within the frame, look around the edges of the shot make sure you haven't chopped something important off like the end of the loco. This front 3/4 shot is considered a standard roster shot and this is the sort of thing you should try first until you become better with the camera. By now you are probably saying this was taken on a cloudy day, true it was but have a look at the sky, there is detail in the clouds something that is not in your shots.

[photoid=36150]

Here we are again, same loco in the same yard as your shot. This is a good starting point for yard shots as it's similar to a roster shot plus the damn things aren't moving so you have got a bit time to line up your shot.

I hope this gives you an idea of whats required so go out there and give it another go and most important have some fun while your at it.

Cheers

Christine.

scottychaos
01-09-2007, 02:04 PM
What kind of camera are you using?
you said its a 4 megapixel, but im not seeing it..

are you perhaps shooting from far away and then cropping the pics?
something about the image quality is still off..very low resolution.
maybe the camera quality setting still isnt right.

Scot

scottychaos
01-09-2007, 02:14 PM
I see the "what kind of camera are you using" has already been answered in another thread:

I just downloaded your phot and checked out the file info.

Seems you have a Fuji Finepix A345 which has a 4Mp capability.

http://www.cameras.co.uk/details/fuji-finepix-a345.cfm

http://www.cameras.co.uk/specs/fuji-finepix-a345.cfm

The links above give a review of your camera, you will see that the shutter lag is around 1/2 sec don't expect too much if you try for moving subjects.

You chose to use the lowest quality that your camera can produce 03M.

Produces only a 640x480 image, the top setting would give you a 2,304 x 1,728 image.

As I said above try using the best quality, then re size down for railpics

Also I see you used an ISO of 64, the conditions appear a little dull for such a low setting, this will have caused you to use a wide aperture f3.8, results in lower quality, and a low shutter speed 1/100 second, may allow a bit of camera shake?

I see, unfortunately that the A345 gives you no control over shooting apertures and/or shutter speeds, except that one of the modes is 'Sport', I suspect that this will give you the benefit of the camera choosing a higher shutter speed for you. Setting a higher ISO, say 200 will also encourage the camera to set a higher shutter speed smaller aperture combination. The downside is that the image quality will suffer if too higher ISO (400) is used?

As I have already said, experiment at different settings by snapping cars or lorries in various conditions near home, get to know what gives you best results before you go out taking rail phots again.

That will give you the opportunity for success! :-D

Alan

You are still using too low of a quality setting.
Go to the 4M F setting.

Scot

alan-crotty
01-10-2007, 08:04 AM
HI BE,

Looks like a few folk are trying to help you out here, however if you don't reply to suggestions your not going to get further help.

There are a lot of very good photters on this forum who will help, but you need to keep up the correspondence.

Alan

B.Erdmann
01-10-2007, 10:44 PM
hey,

sorry ive been busy latley.

thanks for some help but i think whatever i try the next time the screeners are gonna give me some other crap. ill show you the originals compared to what i had to re do. the problem wa w/ the originals i had to shrink beacuse the photo was large for the requirements so that means i have to shrink it more for when i take them on 4M F. i couldt that time bacuse i had no pics for that quality. my mom has so many pics on the camera & its taking up space.

so thanks for some help & i could use some more help

Warren
01-10-2007, 11:02 PM
thanks for some help but i think whatever i try the next time the screeners are gonna give me some other crap.
Dude I think your the one giving the screeners crap! :wink:

PLEzero
01-10-2007, 11:12 PM
the problem wa w/ the originals i had to shrink beacuse the photo was large for the requirements so that means i have to shrink it more for when i take them on 4M F. i couldt that time bacuse i had no pics for that quality. my mom has so many pics on the camera & its taking up space.

Take your photos at the highest setting possible. Then resize them in photoshop. I do not understand how photos are taking up space on the camera? Do you not save your photos to the computer???

Frederick
01-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Some advice:
-Hold the camera as steady as possible, or mount it on a tripod to prevent blur.

-Shoot at the highest resolution.

-When downsizing (especially on a mass scale), use the sharpen/unsharp mask feature, as it improves detail that is already there. Oversharpening can make image noise more visible.

-Don't go on 100% cloudy days (with some exceptions), as it sucks the color and life out of your photos.

-Use manual mode, if your camera has it. Many point and shoot cameras overexpose photos in automatic mode, making areas of light and dark bleed into each other.

B.Erdmann
01-10-2007, 11:41 PM
sorry dont have enoguh room for all the originals go to this link to view them

http://brenterdmann.proboards80.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=share&thread=1168475879

JRMDC
01-10-2007, 11:46 PM
-Don't go on 100% cloudy days (with some exceptions), as it sucks the color and life out of your photos.

Let's back up on this just a bit! Don't expect shots taken on 100% cloudy days to get into RP! But by all means enjoy the trackside time, and use that time to practice composition and so forth. Take pictures, and examine them at home with a very critical eye, that self-awareness is an important skill.

And please down size any picture you post here; it makes it easier to help you. The one you posted, it's so big that it is hard to assess. Two problems I see (other than 100% cloudy and common power which means no hope of an RP acceptance).
1) there is a post in the middle bottom of the shot. Next time, if you can, reposition yourself to avoid such distractions.
2) It looks like the engine is a little tight against the left border, not enough space to do what sometimes is referred to as "breathing".

JRMDC
01-10-2007, 11:53 PM
thanks for some help but i think whatever i try the next time the screeners are gonna give me some other crap....

so thanks for some help & i could use some more help

Seriously, one important thing you need is an attitude change. Taking good pictures is harder than you thought, maybe you are slowly realizing that, maybe not yet. It's not the screeners, it's you. But that is fixable, we have ALL been there. Hopefully the last sentence is true and the first a dreadful mistake.

a231pacific
01-11-2007, 04:06 AM
When I first started watching these forums last year, there was a lot of whining about the how the screeners were rejecting shots. Most of the shots were crap and there was a lot of attitude on the part of the posters. I nearly quit paying attention, but then I got a shot rejected and asked politely for some help in fixing it. Several posters chimed in with suggestions and I really appreciated it.

I don't know if I started something, but more people started posting suggestions on how to improve rejected shots and over a couple of months, most of the whining died out and there was a lot of useful information posted. I helped some as I got better and I learned even more in the process.

I discovered that there are a lot of young shooters here, some of whom are very good, but that some others needed help. If you are patient, ask for help and listen, you may get to be as good as Andrew, who is 18, and a better photographer than I am at three times his age!

The most common mistakes that new photographers seem to make is in using point and shoot cameras, set at low quality settings, probably to maximize the number of shots. You need to set your camera to shoot at two to three times the resolution you will be posting at on RP.

The next most common mistake seems to be submitting the shot to RP directly out of the camera, with no post processing. Often the excuse has been that image processing software was too expensive, but there are several pretty good freeware programs out there. You should level, crop, correct exposure, enhance contrast, color correct and sharpen your images before you try to submit them to RP.

The third thing you need to learn about is composition. You should read the guidlines for submitting photos and then look at enough shots already on RP to get some feel for what gets accepted here. As others have said, cloudy day shots are almost never accepted. Shots like your shot of WS 6005, where parts of the engine are cut off, are generally not accepted. Shots where poles look like they are growing out of the engine, or where foreground objects stick up into the engine are generally not accepted. Photos that are not sharp are not accepted either. Look carefully at your WS 6005 shot and you will see that it is four for four on reasons to reject it.

If you are serious about wanting to improve your photography, try some more shots and see if you can make them better than your current batch. Then bring them to the forum, but please, reduce them in size to about 700 pixels wide. It makes them easier to see and it doesn't mess up the text formatting. I hate having to scroll across to read a post!

Michael Allen

Ween
01-11-2007, 04:18 AM
Type all you want, Michael...some people just don't want to listen to the help/advice that's provided to them. Unfortunately, I think this is one of those cases...

alan-crotty
01-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Michael,

I'm afraid I have to agree with Ween on this one. It's a shame that a photographer just starting out and with so much opportunity to learn from some of the worlds top snappers has such a poor attitude.

Alan

JRMDC
01-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Michael,

I'm afraid I have to agree with Ween on this one. It's a shame that a photographer just starting out and with so much opportunity to learn from some of the worlds top snappers has such a poor attitude.

Alan

Well, gosh, that is the first time, and most certainly the last time, that anyone has called me one of the world's top snappers!!!! :shock: You must have meant everyone else who contributed. :wink:

alan-crotty
01-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Must be your 15 minutes of fame Janusz :-D

Bask in the glory!!

Alan

a231pacific
01-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Alan,

You said "snappers." Is that anything like a photographer? ;-)

Michael

alan-crotty
01-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Michael

Snappers is a well used term for professional photographers in the UK, it is not a derogatory term :D

Found any N scale vehicles yet?

Alan

a231pacific
01-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Woops! Forgot! My Bad! Will get back to you ASAP!

Michael

rlfranz
01-13-2007, 10:28 PM
I think that there are many things amiss with your photos:

1. Poor image quality. My guess is that your camera is not capable of the quality required for RP. Your photos are dark, grainy, and lack 'snap'

2. Poor composition and lighting. Your photos that I have seen are back-lit and have no interesting composition.

Mark Rosnick
01-13-2007, 10:47 PM
I agree with Michael. Some people need to stop their b******g and pay attention to what the more expierenced photographers are saying. The whole idea of the forums are to ask for assistance, and seek feedback for your photos. I've questioned rejections, and gotten great feedback on how to correct my image, and by listening to the feedback, the picture was accepted. I've been into photography for 35 years, and shot professionaly for 11 years, but still I'm always looking for ideas and inspiration. I'm also pretty new to digital imaging, so I'm always looking for feedback. So my advice to new shooters is to find a mentor ( Mine was the late Paul Vathis of AP) who can help you with your photography. If not that, use the forums for your advantage

B.Erdmann
01-15-2007, 02:24 AM
Dude I think your the one giving the screeners crap! :wink:

you think my photos are crap? well i worked very hard to get out to the train yards & get these pics & i fit time into my schedule to do this.

i appricate the help but if any of my next photos are rejected i am OFFICIALY Leaving RP & share my photos w/ other website that actualy take them.

IC 6071
01-15-2007, 03:21 AM
you think my photos are crap? well i worked very hard to get out to the train yards & get these pics & i fit time into my schedule to do this. I think you took his comment out of context. The ;) after that was the first indication.

i appricate the help but if any of my next photos are rejected i am OFFICIALY Leaving RP & share my photos w/ other website that actualy take them.
Sorry Brent, but so far, I havent seen anything that is even close to RP standards. I think that you have some potential, but you need to keep listening to these experieced guys/gals as I have. Also, take a few minuts, and look at other photos in the database. A new camera would also help your cause, but money doesen't grow on trees.

-Adam

Ween
01-15-2007, 03:25 AM
you think my photos are crap?

You are mis-reading the intent behind that statement. It meant you are giving the screeners a hard time. It didn't mean your shots are crap. In fact, it's used in the same vein as your statement with the word 'crap' in it:
whatever i try the next time the screeners are gonna give me some other crap.

I'm pretty sure you weren't referring to the screener's physically giving you actual crap. But I digress...

but if any of my next photos are rejected i am OFFICIALY Leaving RP & share my photos w/ other website that actualy take them.

Sorry you chose this route to handle the situation, but let me be the first to say, "Bye!"

Frederick
01-15-2007, 05:20 AM
you think my photos are crap? well i worked very hard to get out to the train yards & get these pics & i fit time into my schedule to do this.

With a defeatist attitude like that, you are not going to get any photos accepted. I probably had 50 photos rejected before I got my first photo accepted. Now, I have 71 photos with an acceptance rate of about 1 in 2.

Learn to take the rejections as advice, and not something that's just there to piss you off. It will truly make you a better photographer.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
01-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Learn to take the rejections as advice, and not something that's just there to piss you off. It will truly make you a better photographer. Listen to him, he knows what he speaks of, just look at that kick --- avatar. Sweeeeet shot, Frederick! To add to what has been said. Its not a threat to the site to take your photos elsewhere as there are still plenty of contributors out there. I have to thank Michael Allen for the wonderful compliment about my work, but I truely have to give a lot of credit to the screeners here who pushed me to first work out the flaws in exposure and lighting and then improve my compostion and thinking "outside the box".

My original name still has 10 VERY BAD photos under it which makes me shudder to that of what I uploaded and got rejected before that. I had hundreds of rejects before I got my first lousy shot on and now I'm up to 812, granted it took me three years. This site and especially these forums are to get a second, third, fourth, etc. opinion on your shots whether they are accepted or rejected. Someone will always point out something you did not see because you never look at YOUR OWN photo the way someone else does. Sometimes it works in your favor or you get the aggravating "personal collection" comment, which still annoys me, but I can improve on that.

I had the same outlook of I spent all this time getting to this location and taking these photos, why are you rejecting them? I thought I'd never get a chance to go back even though that is an extremely oolish thought. You don't even have a license yet so naturally your freedom is limited. No, WC engines won't be around forever, but finding them when you can drive yourself will be even more fun! Hey, I'm an optimist ;). Good luck, Brent, with whatever decision you make.

Hopefully there are more "newbies" reading and soaking up some of these useful tips from all these top "snappers". I hadda use it once! ;-)

JRMDC
01-15-2007, 12:51 PM
My original name still has 10 VERY BAD photos under it which makes me shudder to that of what I uploaded and got rejected before that.

I was going to chime in on the original topic, but really what is the point now.

But I've been wondering, Andrew, what is the story with your original name and your replacement name.

And, isn't it possible to withdraw a picture? :) Anyway, standards at RP used to be lower than they are now, at least that is my impression. Maybe after a while they got their legs underneath them and felt they could upgrade. If so, I'm glad they did.

4kV
01-15-2007, 03:19 PM
"...but if any of my next photos are rejected i am OFFICIALY Leaving RP & share my photos w/ other website that actualy take them."

Sorry you chose this route to handle the situation, but let me be the first to say, "Bye!"

I'll be second after Ween to say "bye." I'm sure the screeners feel quite intimidated by your threat of leaving should they have the nerve to reject any of your pictures. Then again, why are any of us even bothering with this? We can get a more positive response talking to a stale, half eaten bag of popcorn.

Learn to take the rejections as advice, and not something that's just there to piss you off. It will truly make you a better photographer.

Sadly, Frederick, it sure doesn't seem this is his goal. A bottle of Midol may be more in order than good ole fashioned advice.

PLEzero
01-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Wulp, cya later!

Do you really think anyone here really cares if you 'officially' leave?

Mark Rosnick
01-16-2007, 12:37 AM
He still dosen't get it does he. The entire idea is to give advice and help people become better photographers, not destroy ones self confidence. As they say...If you can't stand the heat... The whole idea is not to take it personally. People are trying to help B Erdmann, not destroy him. My advice to him is just sit there, be quiet and listen to the advice people are giving you. If you pay attention, you may just become a better photographer.

scottychaos
01-16-2007, 02:19 AM
well remember, he is probably about 15 years old, and has grown up in the recent American culture of "Nothing is ever your own fault! you dont have to take responsibility for your own actions, if something goes wrong, even if its your fault, (which it never is) find someone to sue!" ;)

so naturally, if he hasn't learned good photographic techniques not, its not HIS fault! he is just a poor innocent victim of oppression..and since he knows the problem cant be with HIM, he needs to blame someone else for his problems..which he has.

sad...

Scot

a231pacific
01-16-2007, 02:51 AM
Someone much wiser than me once said "Good judgment is the product of experience, and experience is the product of bad judgement!"

In other words, we learn from our mistakes, but then, I guess some people just don't want to learn.

Michael Allen

B.Erdmann
01-16-2007, 03:01 AM
well fisrt i cant find out what the expectations are fro rp & why they want every thing to seem like you have to be a professional at it in which im not. im sure thiers alot of people who would see my pics. i really dont think the screeners are "human" . if i had a webiste i wouldnt even have screeners. i think a picture is just a god d*$@n picture. if i think the letters are visible & you can see what it is ist perfect but aperently not to rp. no clouds & all that. i think the clouds make it neat looking. i dont have time to go out somewhee ecry day beacuse i have to go to school & i work on some weekends so when i can go its when i go i dont wait ill even go if its raining out.

so i think RP is something that looks like you have to be a professional & it has to be perfect & i was always tols no one & nothing is perfect

F40PH271
01-16-2007, 03:13 AM
1) I don't think there are many professional photographers on the website, though I would say many are capable of being ones.

2) Look at all the photos on RP. The screeners are human. They help you by giving you the reasons for rejection. Just think, they could just reject the photo and not give any reason whatsoever.

3) If I've gotten 170+ photos on here with my little Nikon point and shoot camera, I think anyone can get a shot on here.

4) Were you drunk when you wrote the above?

Have a nice day.

Chris Starnes
01-16-2007, 03:20 AM
well fisrt i cant find out what the expectations are fro rp & why they want every thing to seem like you have to be a professional at it in which im not. im sure thiers alot of people who would see my pics. i really dont think the screeners are "human" . if i had a webiste i wouldnt even have screeners. i think a picture is just a god d*$@n picture. if i think the letters are visible & you can see what it is ist perfect but aperently not to rp. no clouds & all that. i think the clouds make it neat looking. i dont have time to go out somewhee ecry day beacuse i have to go to school & i work on some weekends so when i can go its when i go i dont wait ill even go if its raining out.

so i think RP is something that looks like you have to be a professional & it has to be perfect & i was always tols no one & nothing is perfect

Beautiful! You just made everyone's points for them.

At this point it would be best if we wished you the best of luck as you try new photography ventures at other websites. I honestly do not see any improvement coming out of someone with an attitude like you demonstrated in the quoted text above. Good luck as you take your material elsewhere!

Slopes09
01-16-2007, 03:38 AM
Jeeze, just when I thought we were done with these kinda threads...

PLEzero
01-16-2007, 04:10 AM
Jeeze, just when I thought we were done with these kinda threads...

Actually I find these threads to be very funny. You canít get this quality of entertainment everywhere! :smile:

alan-crotty
01-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Chris,

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!

I do hope BE doesn't give up on his photography, maybe we'll see him again in a few months when he has had time to absorb the advice give and put it to good use.

All hobbies need fresh blood coming in. :D

Alan

IC 6071
01-16-2007, 08:58 PM
BE-
You asked for help and you got it. Act more mature, and quit acting like a two year old, blaming others for everything. I guess all I can say is good luck w/ future photography, and LEARN from feedback given instead of complaining about it.

WisconsinCentral
01-17-2007, 12:19 AM
B.E

Many here have been offering you help, which would really be helpful. I understand why you may think the way you do, but this is not a site that will accept stuff like that. It isnt your fault that its cloudy, but Railpics generally wont accept cloudy day shots. Even with sun there are many stipulations. So before you get all mad, understand that you need to improve or work with certain situations to get accepted here. This is one of the top notch rail photography sites that our out here, and you do need to know quite a bit to get accepted on a usual basis. Practice, but dont blame anyone but yourself (or your camera in some cases :-P ) because your the one who took the picture. Just look at other shots in the database and see what others have done. You'll notice a big difference between your shots right now and other peoples work. Keep working at it,

Alec

Frederick
01-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Listen to him, he knows what he speaks of, just look at that kick --- avatar. Sweeeeet shot, Frederick!

Thanks, Andrew. :-D

You need to look at photos in terms of shapes and colors. It should not "just" be a picture of a train. You also need to plan your shot, as opposed to just clicking the shutter button.

The key factor that determines the quality of your photo is how you compose it. What else do you want in your picture? From which angle are you going to take the shot?

The second most important thing is the lighting. Though most shots on RP.net are sunny, there can be exceptions, such as pictures taken during snowstorms.

Editing your photos is also a necessity. Almost all of the accepted photos here have been retouched in photo software. Sharpening, increasing color, etc. always adds more 'pizazz' to your shot.

Once you understand the concept of what makes a fine photo, get creative. Think outside of the box.

There are many teenagers who have photos on this site. Most of us train photographers have a job or attend school. Your age, how much free time you have or whatever doesn't matter much at all, it is just how hard you try.

Good luck. :-)

JRMDC
01-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Come on, everybody! :) If the OP hasn't already moved along, his last message and the followup by Chris S made it all clear.

Move along, move along, there is nothing to see here... (Besides the usual, a reference to a Far Side cartoon with several deer, a bear cop, and bears at a deer kill that I particularly like...)

rlfranz
01-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Brent, I'm really sorry to see you copping such a "tude" about RP. The screeners are only doing their job to make this a top-notch site. Your photos are simply not up to RP standards- save them for your private collection.

There are many people who have gone out of their way to help and advise you about what works and what doesn't, but you don't seem to want to hear it.

I'll be more than happy to send you some cheese to go with your "whine."

You could learn a lot if you would pay close attention to what is accepted here, instead of complaining how your shots don't get accepted. I probably have a 30:1 ratio of submitted to posted, but I'm not bitter about it. I read the screener's comments, look at what's been accepted, and go out and do betterl

One sign of maturity is being able to accept and appreciate constructive feedback and critique.