PDA

View Full Version : Input welcome on reject

Northern Limits
01-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Rejected for being blurry. This is an early morning picture with fog, and blowing snow from the train.
The subjects don't look blurry - should I appeal?

If Andrew reads this: How is the rule of thirds?
BTW I don't think CN would like it if I took down the derail sign.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=329332

Ween
01-20-2007, 11:46 PM
The Noodle looks a little blurry, but even if it was tack sharp, that derail sign is a killer for this shot...

JRMDC
01-20-2007, 11:50 PM
In my opinion, it's not blurry in a bad way. It appears that the stuff very close to the camera is in focus, and the train, being a bit farther away, and I am guessing you have a large aperture with shallow depth of field, ends up a bit blurry. If anything, in this situation I wouldn't mind seeing the train a bit blurrier. Except that the plow is a bit too cut off from whatever it is mounted on to really serve as a primary element. So I am thinking that the screener says the train should be sharper. You could appeal and say you had a choice, given light conditions, of having either the plow or the train in focus, and you chose the foreground element.

I might nail it for bad angle, however, as I wonder whether the shot would be much better if you were a bit to the right and the derail sign was not a problem, and also the plow is a bit of a confusing element. What's the gray thing extreme lower right corner - a plow on the side, a shield, what? I'd like to see a bit more of the entity on the right. Or maybe step left and back, getting more of a side-on view. But all of that is a matter of taste, and I would suggest first an appeal with an explanation.

Northern Limits
01-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Here is the rest of my tale - I fell on my butt climbing the snow bank to get that rejected pic. Snow on the other side of the bank was well up past my knees.
So the photo op turned into a panic situation. I'm sure all this gave the train crew a chuckle :lol:

The gray thing? It is part of the spreader. Here is a low rez copy of a pic looking the other way. Is this one worth submitting?

Mark Rosnick
01-21-2007, 01:56 AM
Jim I'd try to submit. It's a nice shot of an unusual piece of equipment.

Northern Limits
01-21-2007, 05:04 AM
To the original reject - I agree with Ween; that derail sign is a killer.
For the spreader, I did the white balance thing (technical term) which brightened it way up. I'm going to submit that one.

Northern Limits
01-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Well that didn't work. Got dinged for poor technical quality. Maybe the sun will shine again tomorrow and I can try again.
I'll try a different angle from more of a distance.
Happy Sunday all. :smile:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=329514