PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Suggestions please

BR549
02-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Had the oppurtunity to take a shot from atop the Hudson River swingbridge in Albany, NY at CSX's Lab Tower. The shot was rejected account needed sharpening. I attemtped to sharpen the image the best I could and got rejected again. Any ideas or suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=332701 <-- 1st attempt

www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=332805 <-- 2nd attempt

JRMDC
02-01-2007, 02:14 AM
Tough one. The screener may have said both blur and sharpening because the source of the problem is unclear. You may have some motion blur on the engine - the knuckle and front look a bit soft - in that case nothing to be done but reshoot. It's not bad, it's just not quite there. I'd play around with it some more if you can. And see what others say.

BR549
02-02-2007, 01:26 AM
I was afraid you were going to say that. But you're right. I just don't know when I'll ever get the chance to get to that vantage point again. Thanks for the reply anyhow. I'll keep trying.

bah
02-02-2007, 07:56 PM
I can't notice a difference between the two after sharpening. Different angle than what we normally see.

JRMDC
02-02-2007, 08:21 PM
I was afraid you were going to say that. But you're right. I just don't know when I'll ever get the chance to get to that vantage point again.

That is always so frustrating! :( I've got more than a few like that in my collection.

Save The Wave
02-02-2007, 09:22 PM
It appears to me the camera mis-focused,or you used too long of an exposure, leaving the engine slightly blurry. Even if it were spot on though, don't see that angle getting accepted. Too much of the engine covered up.

EdM
02-02-2007, 10:40 PM
my best guess is camera shake .. One of the few times when only a higher shutter speed, not a tripod, will fix the problem (bet the bridge was shaking).. rule of thumb as I stated elsewhere, shutter speed should be at least as fast as the lens focal length.. Looking at the photo, one cannot find one area, foreground or background that is sharp, hence either camera shake or dirty lens. Again, a guess, but I suspect, a good one. EdM :roll: Might also be an inexpensive camera (low pixel count), in that case it is the best that can be done.. btw, I would KILL to get up there...great location, shot framed by bridge, etc etc.. great shot..