PDA

View Full Version : Help required converting raw files from D80

jason15c
02-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I wondered if anyone could assist.

I have upgraded from a Nikon D50 to a Nikon D80. With the D50, I was using Raw Shooter Premium 2006 to convert the RAW files. However, for some reason, this will not recognise the files from the D80 even though they have the same file extension as those from the D50 (.NEF).

Can anyone offer any assistance or advise on other software to read the files from the D80, as the software that came with the camera is rubbish. I really need something that will offer full control of white balance, exposure, shadow / highlights etc....

Thanks in advance

Switched out
02-12-2007, 01:03 AM
From the Pixmantec (http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter.asp) site

Adobe Systems Inc has acquired the assets of Pixmantec ApS. RawShooter | Essentials will no longer be updated but will be available for download until shortly after Adobe Lightroom 1.0 is released as a shipping product. For information regarding the sale of Pixmantec assets please check our newsletter (http://www.pixmantec.com/newsletter/19/index.html) or the FAQ (http://www.pixmantec.com/pdf/FAQ_Pixmantec.pdf).

A check of the support area for updates reveals the last update for RawShooter Essentials does not support the Nikon D80 :sad:

Christine

alan-crotty
02-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Hi Jason,

I use Phaseone's Capture One LE to convert Canon CR2 files, does a very good job, especially on detail extraction.

If you use either Photoshop or Elements then Adobe Camera Raw come in a close second, it is included in PS and Elements and is continually updated as new cameras hit the market.

Send me an RAW of yours and I'll convert is (standard settings) for you. :D

See your personal email for address.

Alan

jason15c
02-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks to Christine and Alan for their responses.

I also had another response from another forum that I thought some may find of interest. Adobe have released a Beta version of their new stand alone RAW converter called Adobe Lightroom. This is currently available to download for free from their website, and after having a bit of a play with it last night, I must say that my first impressions of it are very positive.

JRMDC
02-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks to Christine and Alan for their responses.

I also had another response from another forum that I thought some may find of interest. Adobe have released a Beta version of their new stand alone RAW converter called Adobe Lightroom. This is currently available to download for free from their website, and after having a bit of a play with it last night, I must say that my first impressions of it are very positive.

That is much more than a RAW converter - it's an entire photo management system! And expensive, $150 intro, $200 regular, if I remember correctely. Personally, I'm not going to commit to a beta that will never be updated - it has been superceded by the for-pay product already, I believe - as I would rather learn one piece of software and stick to it for as long as possible.

alan-crotty
02-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Hi Jason and Janusz,

Yes light room is a complete management system and not just an RAW converter. I agree Janusz, its expensive.

The good news is that the conversion engine used by LR will eventually be available as Adobe Camera Raw 4. You can already try it with the beta of PhotoShop CS3.

I have tried Light Room; Captureone; Bibble; RAW shooter; Canon DPP; CS3/ACR4 and of course ACR3.6 part of CS2.

My conclusions are that for overall quality of output, especially detail extraction PhaseOne's Capture One is still the best. The LE version is available for $99.00 and can be tried free for 30 days.

Each of the converters have something to offer, but for me detail rendition is the most important, as colour, levels, contrast etc. can be tweaked later in PS or what ever your image editor is.

Alan