PDA

View Full Version : Scanner comparisons

Fotaugrafee, Ink.
02-13-2007, 04:51 AM
Evening folks,

My Nikon LS-40 film scanner took a huge dump about 2 weeks ago, and I'm at a loss without something to fill the void of spare time (and ebay auctions).

Unfortunately, my current financial situation doesn't allow for the upgraded Nikon LS-50 model at the moment (aside the fact most places it appears to be out-of-stock). So I'm pursuing other avenues for scanning my slides.

- Canon CanoScan 8600F ($169 @ B&H)
- Epson Perfection 4490 ($199 @ B&H)

Both of these seem to be top of the line consumer flatbed scanner models. I viewed a photo scanned from the Epson model this week, and I quite impressed by the output quality. I've been referred to the Epson products many times - by both retailers & users. However, I'm kind of partial to the Canon model, because I've been shooting Canon for 10 years now (yet, know diddly squat about their imaging hardware).

Any advice? If not these particular scanners, any alternatives?

Many thanks in advance!

SD70MACMAN
02-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Having used flatbed scanners as well a Nikon LS-40-like device (damn, I cant remember the name for the life of me) to scan negatives, I recommend staying away from flatbed scanners for negatives. I used a Canon scanner that had a "35mm setting" (again, I cant remember the name...) and came to the conclusion FBS are more ment for a large sheet of paper than a 35mm, highly-detailed negative. The images were too soft even for Photoshopping. None of my FBS scanned negatives were good enough to put onto RP.net. At least this has been my experience. HOWEVER, this knowledge is about 1.5 years old and technology has changed since then.

If possible, save up for a while to get the negative scanner. I think they're worth it over a flatbed for 35's. Hope this helps!

alan-crotty
02-13-2007, 09:45 AM
I have a Nikon LS30, still going strong (it'll fail now I've said that) that I use for 35mm. I also have an Epson Perfection 4990 flatbed which has slide/neg scanning capability. I got it to scan my 120 B&W negs, which it does reasonably. I tried doing some 35mm slides with it (using Epson and Silverfast software) and compared to the LS30, there is no comparison! The LS30 wins hands down.

I'd wait until I had the funds to buy the NIkon.

Alan