PDA

View Full Version : Poor lighting (backlit)?

acifuent
12-16-2003, 10:32 PM
Hi to all:

My first submited photo was rejected because of "poor lighting"... but I think that the photo look really good... can anyone give some more advice?

Here is the picture:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=19745

Thanks in advance!

Alejandro

iCe
12-17-2003, 12:21 AM
The shadowy side of the train is showing. But quite frankly, I think that's a great photo. The backlight actually gives it an interesting effect. It's just my opinion. :)

Chris Starnes
12-17-2003, 01:07 AM
Alejandro,

This looks like a good place to shoot stuff but I would suggest going back at a different time of the day when the sun would illuminate the subject more directly (instead of from behind the subject).

Chris

Guilford350
12-17-2003, 01:44 AM
Another good idea might be to stand on the other side of the tracks so that way the sun is facing your back. This way your subject will be well lit.

Oh, and nice photo :) Interesting looking locomotive there!

oltmannd
12-18-2003, 04:08 PM
It is backlit - or more accurately - sidelit - the lighting appears about 90 deg to the camera angle, but not fatally so. What ususally makes a backlit shot bad it that the subject is so dark you can't make out details in the shadows. That isn't the case here as you can see the details on the trucks, for example, just fine.

This shot has a lot going for it. It is well composed, properly exposed, althought the foreground is a bit washed out, and of a really interesting subject - a converted GP40 in South America. I think the dark rock background is also interesting. That and the cacti and brush in the shot set the scene nicely.

If you had shot this 8 hours earlier, you'd have had "perfect" over the shoulder lighting, but I'm not certain you'd have had a better shot. The foreground exposure would have been better, but the rock background would have been bright and you'd have lost the exhaust plume.

The screeners on this site don't generally like backlit shots unless they are of the "dramatic, high contrast" variety, ala http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=16455