PDA

View Full Version : Artsy Fartsy at Sunrise. Any ideas?

Dave Brook
03-08-2007, 09:08 PM
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=346607

Just an experiment, but any ideas's how to fix

Cheers

JRMDC
03-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Well, it's overexposed! :)

I take it you are not reducing the exposure or brightness because you think it should not be darker overall. One solution is to greatly increase contrast, then bring the overall brightness down. This will get the shades around the red signals closer to black instead of the gray they are now. You need more black in the picture, it seems you have little. Or, take a look at levels and move the black point. I don't have software here so I can't say which is better.

You also seem to have a bunch of haze. Maybe intended. If not, and your software allows it, try a local contrast enhancement, in PS use unsharp mask at a 20/60/0 (instead of a sharpening 75/0.6/0). The tool does something completely different at those completely different values, and it may help here.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
03-08-2007, 09:42 PM
One solution is to [greatly] increase contrast, then bring the overall brightness down. This will get the shades around the red signals closer to black instead of the gray they are now. You need more black in the picture, it seems you have [too] little.
I think, J nailed this one. An increase in contrast would darken the photo as well as make the haze, which I see as a key component of the shot stand out more. I love the composition and the idea. It was well executed and just needs a slight tweak. Nice work!

a231pacific
03-09-2007, 01:30 AM
Before reading anyone else's comments I said "overexposed" and "I wonder if local contrast enhancement will work?"

In tricky lighting situations, bracket, bracket, bracket. Those pixels are essentially free and even slides don't cost that much.

Michael Allen

trainmonster
03-09-2007, 01:34 AM
Just some curves and contrast adjustment. Nice shot!

Rich

Dave Brook
03-09-2007, 05:11 AM
Thank you all for this. I am the first to admit that I have poor skills at judging my own shots, so I submit stuff like this to learn. I didn't want to mess with the haze or the soft light, but will have a go with the suggestions.

Cheers

Bill
03-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Just playing around.

Note - I do not endorse the use of Photoshop filters on RP photos. Not even the free Graduated Orange color efex filter available from NIK Software. ;)

Dave Brook
03-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Thank you all again!
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=178578
Cheers