PDA

View Full Version : Current Photo of the Week

rpalmer
12-22-2003, 06:59 PM
I'd like to hear some opinions of the current Photo fo the Week. This one surprised me a bit. I like the blue Santa Fe leader (although the image is a bit soft), and I like the snow capped mountains in the background. However, I think the thick cloud of black smoke really ruins the shot.

Rob

E.M. Bell
12-22-2003, 08:58 PM
I can see your point Rob..leave it to a GE to belch a cloud and clutter a shot :)

Personally, I think the smoke gives you a real sense of the grade the train is on there, and if anything adds to it. There is still plenty of the snow capped mountains showing...but then again, that is just my opinion..

busyEMT
12-23-2003, 02:17 AM
Maybe it is my monitor, but I think the foreground is very dark.

...is it my monitor?

Guilford350
12-23-2003, 12:18 PM
The snow covered tips of the mountains in the background is what really dresses that photo up. It gives a real sense of contrast and depth.

oltmannd
12-23-2003, 01:09 PM
The black smoke is dramatic, but the Mechanical Engr in me hates it because it means the unit isn't working right. When you see black smoke like that (except for a roots blower engine at high altitudes or a train exiting a tunnel) you're dealing with a sick puppy. Low on HP and lots of wasted fuel. Reminds me of what's wrong with railroading, not what's right, and that's depressing.

willie6622
12-23-2003, 09:44 PM
I don't mind "smokey" shots. I think it adds a little something to the shot. The trailing unit in this photo is a Conrail B36-7, and they always belched fire & smoke.

Guilford350
12-24-2003, 12:07 AM
I don't mind "smokey" shots. I think it adds a little something to the shot. The trailing unit in this photo is a Conrail B36-7, and they always belched fire & smoke.

A slight correction here, the unit is a B40-8. But still, its a GE and they are notorious for those types of things.

oltmannd
01-05-2004, 01:10 PM
A Dash 7 or Dash 8 should NEVER make that much black smoke. Something's wrong with it.

willie6622
01-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Then there must have been something frequently wrong with most of the dash-7's I've been around. I know in an ideal setting(ie:new) they are not supposed to belch fire & smoke, but those old dash-7's sure did it alot.