PDA

View Full Version : Artsy Fartsy Volume 2

Dave Brook
03-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Trying for one of those dramatic coming out of the sunset shots. Can it be done?
http://www.railpictures.net:80/viewreject.php?id=351921
It would be a lot easier if the train was into the sun. Any ideas on an overhaul? I don't want to crop too tight and loose the heat effects.

Cheers

JRMDC
03-22-2007, 03:38 PM
A quick thought: redo as a vertical, keeping the heat effects just above and to the left of the train, and keeping the really cool looking code lines on the right, but getting rid of the uninteresting stuff on the left. Might need to redo the format as 4:3 instead of 3:2 or, for that matter, a non-standard ratio.

To my mind, this one would be very nice in a squarish format. Squarish doesn't do very well on RP, but is appropriate (to my eye!) in a number of cases, and I think this is one.

a231pacific
03-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Dave,

Can you post your original, uncropped shot? It might help in giving advice as to how to crop it. I really like the heat effects and the glint on the code lines. The back lighting is the whole point of this shot and if you can improve the framing, you'll probably get past the back light rejection. I'm thinking maybe you need to increase the contrast a bit, possibly using local area contrast enhancement (use an Unsharp Mask setting of 20%, 60 pixels and 0 threshold).

I think there's a really nice photo in there with the proper cropping.

Michael Allen

Ween
03-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Is that a weed or an errant light ray on the viewer's left side of the plow/pilot? That thing's where my eye went first...

BNSF4682
03-22-2007, 08:58 PM
I'd say just crop of the left: you would not loose anything interesting. It is too side heavy like that.

BNSF4682
03-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey, sorry about posting twice, but I might have a solution. I cropped it a bit in Photoshop, and It might just work! Right Size and everything. Nothing (important) was cut off. ENJOY!

Ween
03-22-2007, 09:49 PM
BNSF4682, yours is too square. See the Submission Guidlines:

Size Requirements:

Photos must be at least 800 pixels in width x 600 pixels in height for horizontal images, or at least 750 pixels in height for verticals. Photos not meeting these requirements will be rejected. Optimal size for uploaded images is 1024 pixels wide x 650 pixels high and at a similiar ratio.

JRMDC
03-22-2007, 10:01 PM
A 4x3 horizontal will meet RP guidelines. Not sure it makes the best picture, thougt, decide for yourselves!

Bill
03-23-2007, 01:44 AM
Typically I agree with vertical crop suggestions...they're usually very dynamic...but in this case I think that severely blown sky is a detriment.
Here's my suggested crop - 8x10 dimension.

Dave Brook
03-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Here's the original, slightly shrunken to fit the upload rules. If CP could have held the train for 15 more minutes to get the sun lower, I suspect that would have helped, but they're selfish about that sort of thing.

Cheers

John West
03-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I like code lines. Here's my version with more poles. But yes a more dramatic sunset might help. And I would have shifted the composition more to the right to get more of the poles. Pole lines are becoming scarce. Not a bad original picture to play around with. I would have reduced the amount of "dead" sky area but couldn't do that without loosing the top of the nearest pole (not sure that would be a real problem), but it might make the picture a bit too panoramic for RP, but maybe not.

John

Switched out
03-24-2007, 03:50 AM
Here's my attempt. The biggest problem is the over exposed sky there is just no recoverable detail unfortunately. The glint of the pole line however does work well and as JW said pole lines are becoming an endangered species.

Have a look at this thread you will find some good tips on exposures for Artsy Fartsy :) type shots

Cheers,

Christine

P.S. Example is for cropping only.

Frederick
03-24-2007, 04:21 AM
Here's my version.

John West
03-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Another succcess story. Congrats. I really like the crop on the accepted version, you improved on all the suggestions above.

Dave Brook
03-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Thank you all very much for the input. You guys are far more creative than I.

Cheers