PDA

View Full Version : Slide scanner

willie6622
12-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Does anyone have a good suggestion on a slide scanner? I have a few slides I would like to post, but don't have a way to do it.

Jonathan Guy
12-24-2003, 08:24 AM
I don't own a slide scanner yet, but I've heard alot of good things about the Nikon units with the ICE software. ICE is good for removing scratches and other blemishes in the scan. Canon uses FARE software, that while I've read good things about the Canon/FARE, the Nikon/ICE is reported to be the better of the two.

Check out your local bookstore for photography magazines and you'll probably find one that has an article on scanners.

S.C. Vermillion
12-27-2003, 03:51 AM
I myself have been thinking about buying one and have been doing a great deal of research on them also.

A good slide camera with 100 speed film is equal to that of a 6 Megapixel camera. Keep that in mind!!

A film scanner that scans at 1800dpi will produce a image equal to that of a 4 megapixel camera. But will only cost $150 to $250.

A film scanner that scans at 2400dpi, will produce an image size of 3400 x 2200 pixels and 22MB for each photo at the highest resolution. It would be equal to more than 6 megapixels. These will generally cost more than $250 but well worth it.

The film scanner I plan to buy is a Minolta Dimage scan dual III It scans at 2820dpi and will produce images up to 10 megapixels. B&H Photo has it for $289. Well worth the money.

I would not see the need to purchase a scanner with over 3000dpi as no film camera is capable of producing images that would even come close to 11 meagpixels they are capable of.

Lord Vader
12-27-2003, 05:00 AM
I'm using a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5470c with XPA adapter for my slide scanning needs. It does a decent job IMHO. You can judge for yourself with the scans I've posted: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=184

tomh
01-07-2004, 07:16 PM
If you intend to continue shooting film (neg or slide) you are likely to want to get a slide/film scanner. So many models are available I hesitate to recommend a particular one, but I do think you will spend somewhere in the $400-$600 range.

If you just have "a few" slides, with little likelyhood of shooting more negs or slides in the future, then I suggest you get them put on a PhotoCD (in PCD file format). That'll run about $2/image.

Be advised the ICE feature that was mentioned does not work on Kodachrome slide film or B&W films.

arnstg
02-25-2004, 10:33 PM
I am on the fence of going from 35mm slides to digital. Thanks for the postings to help me in my search.

Regards, Jerry

rpalmer
02-27-2004, 02:17 PM
[quote="S.C. Vermillion"]

The film scanner I plan to buy is a Minolta Dimage scan dual III It scans at 2820dpi and will produce images up to 10 megapixels. B&H Photo has it for $289. Well worth the money.

Just an FYI - The Dual III is no longer available - except on Ebay. The Dual IV is now out. I just received one about a week ago, but haven't had time to even take it out of the box yet :)

S.C. Vermillion
02-28-2004, 03:13 AM
Yep I just got a new catalog from B&H Photo. They have the new one listed for $299. I am now even considering the Pacific Image PrimeFilm 3600 Pro. Either one would be perfect for me.