PDA

View Full Version : What makes this one more popular?

CR4100
12-27-2003, 09:19 PM
I posted several pictures yesterday, including one of my favorites of all time.

Here is the better photo: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=43917 It well lit, scenic and has some interesting power. I have an

Here is the other: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=43908 It's a tight location and most of the train is hidden in the shadows. I even seem to have cut off most of the bridge.

I looked today and the CP photo received 34 views and the crappy Soo shot has 63 views. I'm baffled. What are people seeing that makes the Soo picture more popular. In the thumbnail version you cannot see the dust in the sky of the CP shot. [I plan to correct the blemishes and re-submit this one]

Guilford350
12-28-2003, 12:51 AM
Both are very good photos. I, personally, like the SOO one better mainly because of the angle. Its not too often you get see and overhead angle like that.

Lord Vader
12-28-2003, 06:11 AM
Being a CPR in New England junkie, you can pretty well guess my choice. I appreciate anyone who had the patience and tenacity to take the time to shoot the CP on its New England lines. THAT was a challenge!

Save The Wave
12-29-2003, 02:47 AM
Perhaps the name recognition of the SOO?

iCe
01-02-2004, 10:51 PM
I also think it was the unusual angle of the SOO shot.

Hobo0628
01-03-2004, 12:18 AM
I personally like the SOO shot more than the other. Even though the train is in the shadows, it adds to the picture. It is also a very "strange" angle.

arnstg
03-09-2004, 12:23 AM
This is a no brainer for me. Standing by the tracks and get a head on photo at an angle of 10-30 degrees off center from the loco, can be done by almost anyone. To get an overhead shot of the Soo requires creativity and some planning to get this kind of shot. Congrats on your 2nd shot.

There is more to rail photography than catching the front of a loco but also including the environment where the photo is taken. Look thru Trains Magazine or others and see what pictures you study and which ones you scan quickly without a second thought to give you some ideas.

Regards, Jerry

wurstm
03-09-2004, 04:02 AM
I think that the CP shot would have potentially been more attractive if it had been in color. Having that much foliage thick foliage would have made the units "jump out" more, but as b&w, the tonalities between the units and the foliage are too similar. The composition in the SOO line shot works very well, regardless of b&w or color.

Don't feel bad - I have the same problem. At the time I'm writing this, the following image (which I've had posted for a couple of months now) is just below 100 hits:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=37991
Yet any Chessie System roster shots I post almost always gets at least twice as many hits. Its hard to figure out what the typical railfan is looking for in a photo, but it seems that the more artistic I get, the less interested they are.

Mark 8)

arnstg
03-09-2004, 05:12 AM
This is a great photo. It beats all the wedge shots I see on here with no thought of composition. Unfortunately, probably not that many people
search on "Erie" so that it hasn't been viewed that much. I am guilty since I have my own preferences on what I search for. I am always glad to see any photo that catches my eye and I will stop and view instead of just clicking past it.

Keep up the good work. jerry

Robert28
03-09-2004, 08:47 AM
I can see the merits of both shots but the SOO one is definatly the more unique of the two. It is definatly an unusual angle. As to what makes one more popular than another? I've about given up trying to figure that one out with my own.

Robert

Chris Starnes
03-10-2004, 01:10 AM
I have had this conversation with quite a few people and have come to the conclusion the average railfan would rather see a wedge/roster than they would something creative or 'pretty'!

Having said that, it depends on what you want to do (or who you want to impress) with your photos....

I wouldn't think about the views as being such a big issue. The way I look at it, if someone who's opinion I respect likes a photo and takes time to view it, I am very happy. I would rather have 5 people look at a photo who are looking at it for the artistic/photographic intent than I would have 50 people just looking at it to see another "train picture."

CTS
(live from Flagstaff, AZ)

chris crook
03-11-2004, 10:32 PM
I like both pictures very much, although I think they would have been well served by color. But if it wasn't available, then such is life.

I look at a lot of pictures as thumbs. If I see something really good, I 'vote' by giving it a view. But plenty of pictures can see seen fairly well by looking at the thumbs here. Want to get a lot of page views? Put up a picture with lots of locomotives in it. That seems to get them clicking.