PDA

View Full Version : Stymied Again!!

DelmonteX
04-20-2007, 08:22 PM
The attached photo was rejected for: "Bad Color: Not enough color depth or too much color saturation."

This was rejected twice for the same reason. The first version was more vibrant, so I reduced the color saturation and it was rejected again.

Any suggestions?

I know what to do about the color saturation (or so I think), but I'm pretty much lost on the color depth part. Are these mutualy inclusive or exclusive?

Thanks,

Steve Carter

JRMDC
04-20-2007, 09:03 PM
I'll give a partial comment, because I know that there are color issues with the monitor I am now using; the evening will be different. But usually the blues and greens are unaffected. So... :) Feel free to ignore.

blue - the sky is way, way oversaturated
clouds - they are picking up some purple instead of a pure gray in the off-bright sections
green - has the bridge been recently painted?
rails/ballast - this is a color that I know my monitor has problems with, but I suspect it needs examining anyway - is that rust too rusty? way too saturated?

please contemplate until someone else chimes in :)

JRMDC
04-20-2007, 09:05 PM
The attached photo was rejected for: "Bad Color: Not enough color depth or too much color saturation."
I know what to do about the color saturation (or so I think), but I'm pretty much lost on the color depth part. Are these mutualy inclusive or exclusive?

Remember that the rejection remarks are boilerplate text and are not specific to your image. Remember also that they represent a category and one or the other or both may apply to any one image. So you may not have a color depth problem at all. Lack of color depth, to me, means somewhat the opposite of oversaturated. Anyway, I think you have too much color, but I am limited in my conclusion because of my monitor quality.

Ween
04-20-2007, 09:34 PM
The rails look waaaaaaayy to red to be normal...

ssw9662
04-20-2007, 11:25 PM
The funny thing is the green on the locomotive looks normal. However, as others said, the rails and sky look too saturated.

Ween
04-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Maybe post the original, out-of-the-camera file to compare...

DelmonteX
04-21-2007, 03:04 AM
Here's the original out of the camera file, just resized.

The bridge is new (the closer one) so the paint is in good shape. Foreground rail is very rusty and this is a rainy marine environment.

To my eye, the unmodified version is dark and dull, the one I posted above, is brighter and vibrant.

SD70MACMAN
04-21-2007, 04:14 AM
Man, what an image. Great shot of the Cascades. Try reducing the levels of red. Odd part is that the sky and the colors of the trainset are normal. Chris has a good point, the rails are WAY too red.

I love the colors. The saturation really makes the picture, especially the blue sound and sky, the green hills, and our cool looking trains. Good to see the Tacoma Narrows Bridge 2 is approaching done.

DelmonteX
04-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Thanks for all the input.

Try as I might, I can't seem to lessen the red of the rails without dulling the entire image.

Funny thing is that while I stood there waiting for the train to arrive, I was marveling at how much rust there was.

Anyway here's one more shot at it.

JRMDC
04-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Here's one take on it. The key thing I found is that if I remove a whole lot of yellow (! not red), I get an improvement in the rust color. In particular, it removes a lot of color from the ballast without affecting the rails that much. It works for me. The entire list of adjustments (in PS Elements 3, probably similar or the same for various versions of PS).

yellow saturation -50
levels 0 1.4 220
contrast +5
blue and cyan saturation both -15 (to make the sky a bit more realistic to my eye, not so jazzed up)
unshart mask 70 0.6 0

see what you think