PDA

View Full Version : I don't hear anything...

Mike B.
05-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Noise.
I had this shot rejected for "Too Much Noise."
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=367732
I've never had this problem before and to me, it looks to OK for the most part. I don't have much experience with shooting in cloudy weather either so maybe my expectation are lower than they should be.
Is there too much noise?

Drewster
05-01-2007, 10:20 AM
i dont see any grainyness either. but maybe to reduce whatever the screener sees, you could crop it a little tighter get some of that extra sky out of there

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
05-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Noise.
I had this shot rejected for "Too Much Noise."
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=367732
I've never had this problem before and to me, it looks to OK for the most part. I don't have much experience with shooting in cloudy weather either so maybe my expectation are lower than they should be.
Is there too much noise?
The monitors at school suck for lack of a better word and the photo is crystal clear here so at home it is probably flawless. No noise to my ears..err..eyes.

JRMDC
05-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Well, chipping in my two cents... I don't see any noise, but...

The color/light looks unnatural. It looks wierd to me. Now, I understand the units are brand new. Nonetheless, there is something about the light, the sky is hazy, the ground looks bland, which suggests overcast, yet the units look brilliant. Again, I understand the units are brand new.

Maybe all it needs is an increase in contrast. Or maybe the local contrast enhancement procedure - do an unsharp mask but with values like 20/60/0 instead of the typical sharpening values which are more like 75/0.6/0.

I'd mess around with it for a few minutes, but I need to head to work. :)

Joe the Photog
05-01-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm surprised it didn't get cloudy day/common power.

Joe

Mike B.
05-01-2007, 05:44 PM
The light is very odd, but thats actually what it looked like. The sun was being blocked by clouds but I think it was bright enough to light up the engines a bit. A storm was also developing in the background so that just adds to the weirdness (is that a word?) of the lighting.

JRMDC
05-01-2007, 06:00 PM
It could also be another one of those (alleged) screener mis-clicks. You may want to simply appeal. If you do so, you may want to mention in your comment that you believe the wrong reason was given but also explain the unusual lighting conditions, so they don't reject you anyway.

Mike B.
05-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I shot it in manual mode at F63. at 500 with an ISO of 250. I used a tripod as well.
All I did in processing was crop it a bit and add a touch of sharpening.
The only reason I shot the train was because these were the first 7500-series to arrive and they were on their first round trip. Normally, I would have stayed home in that type of weather!
Thanks for the kind words Andrew.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
05-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Just for everyone's information, just because a shot was taken on a cloudy doesn't make it unacceptable. I've been trying to tell everyone who says "don't bother uploading a cloudy shot" that it is possible to get it accepted. The most important thing that nearly everyone messes up on is exposing a shot on cloudy days. If you shoot on Auto and you know your sensor is a P.O.S. then don't bother cause it will be too dark. Hint: Look at the coupler or trucks for detail!!! When cloudy you also want to get some texture in the clouds and avoid washing it out. Also look at your composition and how your photo pops. Let me use Mike B.'s shot as an example:

1.) I don't know whether he took the photo on manual mode or auto, but either way the exposure is dead on for the lighting conditions.
2.) He included the rest of the train and cropped it well in a way that is pleasing to the eye.
3.) For me the effect of the exhaust on the power poles in the distance is great.
4.) The light shining off the side of the locomotives is another plus from me.

It may be cloudy and common power, but it is a good shot nonetheless, it just simply works.

Bill
05-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Just for everyone's information, just because a shot was taken on a cloudy doesn't make it unacceptable. I've been trying to tell everyone who says "don't bother uploading a cloudy shot" that it is possible to get it accepted. The most important thing that nearly everyone messes up on is exposing a shot on cloudy days.

Couldn't agree more...it's my favorite time to go out shooting, I love that even light distribution. I probably only have about 4 or 5 sunny-day shots in my RP image gallery, the rest are cloudy, rainy or night-time.

socalrailfan
05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
I don't see any noise either, but it looks blurry to me, the front number boards are not as clear as they should be.

goremirebob
05-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Scotland (and indeed the UK as a whole) welcomes cloudy weather photographers! (Actually its been beautiful for much of 2007 - so far anyway!)

Bob

John West
05-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Wall to wall blue skies are boring!

Mike B.
05-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one not seeing any noise but I don't think I'm going to appeal it. I think I'll hang onto it in case I want to use it for something else.