PDA

View Full Version : Let's be safe when driving!!!!

stevehoskins
01-06-2004, 01:58 AM
This past weekend, my wife and I were up on Cajon Pass. It didn't take much to notice how one particular railfan was driving like a total idiot....someone who posts photos here on this site!!!

There is NO need to come screaming down a dirt/gravel road raising all kinds of dust, as though in a mad race to get to the tracks (especially when there wasn't anything moving....it was all stopped east of us).

And then, further down the line, this same railfan did the same sort of driving trying to beat a train to a crossing. He almost ran ME over as he wasn't even looking forward when approaching where I was standing near my vehicle; he was too busy looking over his shoulder trying to figure if he could beat the train to the crossing!!! I had to jump out of the way to keep from getting hit. And what's more is that the train DID stop short of the crossing, and the engineer came down and asked me if I happened to know who that driver/railfan was, and commented on how much he looked like an idiot driving the way he was!!! (As I have seen this character on a couple other occasions on Cajon Pass, next time I WILL make note of his license plate number and gladly give it to anyone who asks, such as the train engineer.

And just HOW do I know it's someone who posts here? Timing of the photos, the unit numbers and locations. It didn't take a rocket scientist.

There is NO need to be driving like a total idiot, especially on dirt/gravel roads, where there are other people around, sometimes kids with their railfan parents, etc. And definitely NO need to be racing across the crossing in front of the train, no matter how slow that train is going.

We're not in the hobby to see who can post the most photos here on this site by driving like imbeciles, endangering our own lives, the lives of others, and possible causing involvement by train crews.

mu23
01-06-2004, 06:13 AM
I hate to say it, but when I see other railfans, I move on to another location.

stevehoskins
01-06-2004, 03:00 PM
I hate to say it, but when I see other railfans, I move on to another location.

You're not alone...I usually do too. But this past weekend, this particular yutz seemed to be following me wherever I tried to find some solitude.

Ken Carr
01-09-2004, 05:23 AM
Well if my scanner is quiet and I see another railfan I might ask if they heard anything. But out here that pretty rare.
With an upcoming weather change I was thinking of finally going out to the pass. But if there's a idiot out on those dirt roads I'll stick to my own spots along the BNSF trans com between Barstow and Needles and Daggett to Vegas.
Hopefully one of the local law enforcement units (Rangers, Sheriff or RR police) will stop this idiot before he harms himself or someone else.

Ken

Gregory Wallace
01-09-2004, 04:36 PM
And just HOW do I know it's someone who posts here? Timing of the photos, the unit numbers and locations. It didn't take a rocket scientist.

Likewise, it's not too hard to figure out who it probably was -- just by entering "Cajon" in the search field and looking at the dates.

Y'all be more careful out there.

fleetwood
04-26-2004, 04:11 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if the train crews are noticing irresponsible behaviour, then some areas may be closed to access. This happened in St. Paul during the 1999 NMRA convention. A bunch of us were at a great spot when some jerk walked onto the triple track to check the signals. Guess what? Next day there were concrete barriers across the access.