PDA

View Full Version : Help with Poor Lighting (backlit).

busyEMT
01-07-2004, 12:08 AM
I appealed this photo based on the backlit rejection and asked for advice. None was given except see original rejection.

Can anyone explain how this is backlit or in poor lighting? Or what can be done to make it RP.net quality?

http://busyemt.com/GIFs/BNSF%204015a.jpg[/img]

Thanks in advance.

E.M. Bell
01-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Personally, i dont see a backlit problem...the lighting is decent for a roster shot, BUT, as a roaster shot, the background is a bit cluttered and it has a noticable lean to left...

you did good catching a punkin that is CLEAN...:) All we see around here are the ones covered in road grime...that paint is horriable to begin with....dirt dont help any :)

tomh
01-07-2004, 08:02 PM
My sense is that for roster shots like this, screeners want near-perfect images. Yours would be closer to that category if the nose of the short hood was directly illuminated by the sun. In your photo the nose is technically in shadow, though it isn't dark enough so that any detail has been lost.

Guilford350
01-07-2004, 08:10 PM
I think its the bridge in the background that really hurts this photo, not the lighting.

tomh
01-07-2004, 09:44 PM
I agree Guilford, the bridge is more of a problem, but unfortunately the photographer is trying to figure out a "backlit" rejection. Though I prefer front illumination, some of my better shots have been backlit. When the subject is a train in motion, you can accentuate the dynamics of the shot with careful backlighting. Blowing snow often looks better (more voluminous) backlit, and even the newest of diesels produce a noticeable exhaust when backlit. I'm sure the screeners know this and judge action shots accordingly.

Hobo0628
01-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Seems like there is a lot of "clutter" for a roster shot. It could also use a slight clockwise rotation to even the unit vertically.

busyEMT
01-07-2004, 10:23 PM
I knew I would get some great feedback. It really shed some light [pun intended] on my photography. I took the pic of a rolling train; therefore, roster shot wasn't what I was thinking of.

Additionally, with my history of rejections, I cropped this pic tightly due to the clutter. That probably lends to a roster shot feel to this picture.

oltmannd
01-08-2004, 06:18 PM
I appealed this photo based on the backlit rejection and asked for advice. None was given except see original rejection.

Can anyone explain how this is backlit or in poor lighting? Or what can be done to make it RP.net quality?

Thanks in advance.

By composition, it's a roster shot. The nose is in a shadow, so lighting isn't as good as it could be. Loco is very common BNSF GE, so you probably won't get "special dispensation" because of the subject. Screeners are very, very picky about roster shots of common locomotives.

If the subject is the train, then compose shot to get whole train (or as much as possible) in the shot, particularly if it's a "wedge" shot of a train on tangent track. My pet peeve is wedge shots where you don't see the tracks taper off to the horizon. (Good thing I'm not a screener, huh? :) )