PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Amtrak Trip

OH58
01-17-2004, 12:25 AM
Back in December I decided to take a trip to BOS on Amtrak (for $24 each way from Upstate NY, I couldn't resist). Turns out, the only thing halfway decent about the trip was the price; and it turns out even that may have been a ripoff.

I get to the station about an hour before scheduled departure, only to find out that the train is running 2 hours late. I wasn't pleased, but since there was nothing that I could do about it, I decided to keep my plans and wait for the train. Finally, the train arrives and I choose a seat next to a window. The seats are very spacious, and I like the leg rest that can be pulled out.

We start moving. Hours fly by, and I am expecting to be in Boston at about 5 PM. Everything seems to be going great until about 4 PM, when we suddenly stopped (next to a seemingly mile-long freighter). I had no reason to think anything unusual had happened; the train had made short stops before on the trip. However, this wasn't a short stop. Minutes flew by. Finally, about an hour later we learned the true reason for our stop: the train next to us had hit a person, evidently in a murder.

The crew of the train could tell us nothing more. So we sat, and sat, and sat. Finally, at 10:30 pm (6 and 1/2 hours later!!!) movement. Only, we were going backwards. Then we stopped again, for another half hour. We ended up arriving in Boston at 1 am, 8 hours late!

The trip was enjoyable, for the first few hours. But 8 hours stopped and not moving tended to ruin the experience for me. Next time, I may take the plane... :evil: [/i]

Ween
01-17-2004, 01:28 AM
Well, think of it this way:

Be glad you were only 8 hours late and not the murdered guy who got run over by that other train.

When you put it in that perspective, well, I guess your trip wasn't so bad after all... :shock:

OH58
01-17-2004, 12:43 PM
Well, think of it this way:

Be glad you were only 8 hours late and not the murdered guy who got run over by that other train.

When you put it in that perspective, well, I guess your trip wasn't so bad after all... :shock:

Well, when you put it that way....lol

Word is that he was shot first, and then laid out on the tracks.

Chessie4033
01-18-2004, 02:29 AM
Well, that's worse than my last Amtrak trip. Coming back from Pittsburgh on the Capitol Limited, the train was actually early arriving at Pittsburgh. About a half hour out of Cleveland, still running on time, there was this crunch and scrape sound, much like a cup of ice spilling. Well, seems we hit a deer, and the dead critter got a little revenge on the train by knocking some air hoses loose. Not bad, only a ten minute delay, arriving in Cleveland 16 minutes late. Then came the Lake Shore Limited...
First off, the Lake Shore arrived in Cleveland two hours late (I had called ahead, and had got to the station about 15 minutes before the train). This is about 5 A.M. In order to get onto the car, you had to squeeze through a half open door, since the car has no power and the electronically controlled door is stuck. So we sit in Cleveland for about two hours or so, mind you it was about 30 degrees or so and having no power also meant no heat, and finally the train moves forward. Power has yet to be restored. We pull forward about a half mile or so, and stop. A minute or two later the westbound Capitol Limited, which had been waiting on us since 6 (it is now about 7) to use Cleveland's one platform, passes us headed into the station. After about a ten minute wait, our train then proceedes to back back into Cleveland's station. After about another hour, the power finally comes on and the train departs Cleveland for real at 7:57 A.M. (according to the clock on the huge sign on Cleveland Browns Stadium). Arrival at Utica (scheduled for 8:50 A.M.) occured at 3:30 P.M., six hours and forty minutes late.
This is actually the second defective Lake Shore I've gotten on in Cleveland. The first was in February, and was pretty impressive when in malfunctioned. Something went wrong in the battery box (I suppose) beneath the car directly back from where we were just about to board. A whole mess of sparks came shooting out from below the car (making the Conductor, who was about to start taking our tickets with his back to that car, jump). It was quite the fireworks display. They continued boarding the train (I was somewhat relieved to be put on the car ahead of the sparking car, rather than on it like the people ahead of me). They shut of power to the train, and we sat in Cleveland about an hour before the problem was solved.
Maybe I should stop getting on the Lake Shore Limited at Cleveland.

Chessie4033
01-18-2004, 02:30 AM
Well, that's worse than my last Amtrak trip. Coming back from Pittsburgh on the Capitol Limited, the train was actually early arriving at Pittsburgh. About a half hour out of Cleveland, still running on time, there was this crunch and scrape sound, much like a cup of ice spilling. Well, seems we hit a deer, and the dead critter got a little revenge on the train by knocking some air hoses loose. Not bad, only a ten minute delay, arriving in Cleveland 16 minutes late. Then came the Lake Shore Limited...
First off, the Lake Shore arrived in Cleveland two hours late (I had called ahead, and had got to the station about 15 minutes before the train). This is about 5 A.M. In order to get onto the car, you had to squeeze through a half open door, since the car has no power and the electronically controlled door is stuck. So we sit in Cleveland for about two hours or so, mind you it was about 30 degrees or so and having no power also meant no heat, and finally the train moves forward. Power has yet to be restored. We pull forward about a half mile or so, and stop. A minute or two later the westbound Capitol Limited, which had been waiting on us since 6 (it is now about 7) to use Cleveland's one platform, passes us headed into the station. After about a ten minute wait, our train then proceedes to back back into Cleveland's station. After about another hour, the power finally comes on and the train departs Cleveland for real at 7:57 A.M. (according to the clock on the huge sign on Cleveland Browns Stadium). Arrival at Utica (scheduled for 8:50 A.M.) occured at 3:30 P.M., six hours and forty minutes late.
This is actually the second defective Lake Shore I've gotten on in Cleveland. The first was in February, and was pretty impressive when in malfunctioned. Something went wrong in the battery box (I suppose) beneath the car directly back from where we were just about to board. A whole mess of sparks came shooting out from below the car (making the Conductor, who was about to start taking our tickets with his back to that car, jump). It was quite the fireworks display. They continued boarding the train (I was somewhat relieved to be put on the car ahead of the sparking car, rather than on it like the people ahead of me). They shut of power to the train, and we sat in Cleveland about an hour before the problem was solved.

Chessie4033
01-18-2004, 02:30 AM

Chessie4033
01-18-2004, 02:34 AM
I must appologize for that post coming up three times. I had a problem with my browser, and did not realize it came up already. Sorry.

Gregory Wallace
01-21-2004, 07:15 AM
Well, that's worse than my last Amtrak trip .. (stop me if you've heard this one...) :)

Just teasing ya, Chessie!

Bob
01-22-2004, 01:15 AM
When I first read this post about a "bad trip on Amtrak" I thought I'd reply. Then I thought again and decided not to. Then I re-thought and here goes ...
Having grown up in a railroad household (my dad retired from UP in 1971 after 30+ years with Uncle Pete) I will be the first to admit Amtrak doesn't know how to run a railroad. However, when a "bad trip" is clearly not the fault of anyone at any railroad I cannot justify blaming any one company for the "bad trip". Amtrak definitely has it's problem, but blaming a "bad trip" on someone's murder is not in fine form.
Thanks for the vent ...