PDA

View Full Version : Roster Shot?????

Robert28
01-18-2004, 11:58 PM
Can some one help me out with this.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=26969

I submited this yesterday and got it rejected initially for not enough of the engine filling the frame. I appealed and explained that my framing was to show the whole scene and not just the engine. In the reply they explained that most shots of lite engines end up looking like a roster shot. Also that it would be better if the unit was closer to the MOW truck or shot at a different angle. Now if I'm not mistaken isn't a roster shot supposed to be of a single or rear coupled engine shot pretty much straight on to the side filling the frame, more often than not parked in a yard at ground level. This was shot dead on straight and from an overpass to an engine moving down a main line at track speed. If your going to shoot a single engine and not make it look like a roster shot or a wedgie for that matter I don't see how I could have done it any differently. As far as angle goes there is no where else to shoot this location from and not tresspass. Sorry I'm at a loss to figure this one out. I do have another two frames where the unit is closer to the truck, guess I'll try one of those.

Bryan Jones
01-19-2004, 06:39 AM
While I can't help with the photo being rejected, but your shot is definitely not even close to being a roster shot. A roster shot of a locomotive consists of an angled view showing part of the front of the locomotive as well as the side facing the camera. Some refer to it as a 3/4 wedgie or wedgie but it focuses strictly on the locomotive and fills the frame. Full broadsides are also considered roster shots as long as they meet the criteria of filling the frame with the locomotive as the subject.

Bryan Jones

Ken Carr
01-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Have to agree with Brian not a roster shot, if you cropped the bottom of the shot you might one to include it on your submittal. Otherwise you got me.

urslow
01-19-2004, 12:42 PM
I agree with everyone here. If they are rejecting it because it isn't filling the frame, then they had better look at other photo's where the entire train appears to be miles away.

I have been in contact with one of the screeners, and they have tightened up the conditions of acceptance, and will be rejecting more and more shots.
Personally, I disagree with the way things are going here, but I'm not going to complain. Because you know, it's Chris Kilroy's site, and he can do with it as he wants.

Al 8)

Guilford350
01-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Nice photo but it would be better if the locomotive was in the foreground more. The scenery is nice with snow laying on the branches and all. If you have a couple other photos were the locomotive is in the foreground more, I would send those in.

Good luck! :)

Curtis Wininger
01-19-2004, 07:49 PM
I would start with the cropping issue. There is blank space along the left side of the frame. That's an automatic reject.

Try to work on framing the shot a little better. Maybe going in a little farther and waiting a little longer would help.

Ween
01-19-2004, 09:54 PM
they have tightened up the conditions of acceptance, and will be rejecting more and more shots.

That sucks, especially for those of us with simple, low end point and shoot digitals. It's tough competing with the 'pros' and their SLRs, but what are you gonna do? I'll keep trying though...

busyEMT
01-20-2004, 03:12 AM
My first impression was that the piece of equipment along the bottom was bothersome. I would crop that out of the pic. Recently I too learned a lot about "roster shots" [http://www.railpictures.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=565]. Maybe a taller than wider crop/shot would fit the bill.

Robert28
01-20-2004, 09:40 AM
I would start with the cropping issue. There is blank space along the left side of the frame. That's an automatic reject.

Try to work on framing the shot a little better. Maybe going in a little farther and waiting a little longer would help.

Thanks for pointing that out Curtis. I didn't see it. That I can fix. Part of the problem though is that it was never rejected for the blank space. Framing and what to include and what to cut is one of those areas that is extremely subjective. I've seen everything on here from extreme close ups on the cab of a unit out to where you really have to look for the train. Really the only reason I shot this as a wide shot was because of the snow. You see more snow up there in VA Curtis than I do down here(I know because I grew up in Johnson City, TN :) This is the first snow of this winter down here South of Knoxville. One other thing to point out is that this location has never appeared on the DB, to the best of my knowledge. I do have a frame where the engine is right next to the MOW truck that I can crop down.

Robert

BartY
02-08-2004, 06:41 AM
they have tightened up the conditions of acceptance, and will be rejecting more and more shots.

That sucks, especially for those of us with simple, low end point and shoot digitals. It's tough competing with the 'pros' and their SLRs, but what are you gonna do? I'll keep trying though...

The camera you have in hand has little or nothing to do with the picture, provided it is sufficent the photo you're making, of course. Obviously a pinhole camera requiring a 1 minute exposure isn't going to work for shooting a coal drag passing at 50 mph. :)

Today alone I rattled off ~25-30 shots on my D100, and had maybe 8-9 that I considered "keepers".

I do tend to agree that I have had more and more of my shots rejected for what I feel are subjective opinions of the screener, and not technically flawed shots. I haven't had one rejected for being "too dark" in quite a while that wasn't accepted later on with no edits because I don't submit underexposed shots. I haven't had any for being "unlevel" or the like that haven't been a result of something in the picture (usually crooked crossbucks at rural crossings) that makes it look unlevel.

Granted, there is only so much server space, and this isn't my site...but if they're going to crack down on photo submissions a bit more, go after the real junk and not someone trying to break free from the mold a bit.

Bart

VRE Man
02-12-2004, 05:59 AM

A great portion of you guys make considerable more Money then I do & I still could afford to use the same Camera the Chris Kilroy does, The Sony F717 Digital which cost Almost $1000 when I bought it new.

That was over a year ago though but now you can get some really great shots from a 4 or 5 Mega Pixel Camera at better then Half the price a lot of us paid even just a year ago!

Heck and as far as the tightened of the shots I uploaded 10 shots yesterday & only had this one accepted.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=49679

I find Shooting Black & White Digital gives a rather nestalgic look. <Sorry my spelling needs work>

Take Care,

Jason Breakiron
Manassas, Va

Ken Carr
04-09-2004, 04:05 AM
So what is a roster shot? a single engine sitting on a track? A engine during a crew change? A picture of a point engine as it departs a station? This picture was rejected because it's considered a roster shot.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=3741
So I guess my definitation of a roster shot is a bit off, any help here?

oltmannd
04-14-2004, 03:07 PM
This suprised me. A telephoto roster shot getting accepted. It's nicely lit, but I won't have thought the screeners would approve of telephoto roster shots.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=57523

Curtis Wininger
04-14-2004, 03:22 PM
There's nothing wrong with a telephoto roster shot as long as it would be acceptable under the same conditions as a normal or wide angle shot. Plus, it's kind of rare on the database.