PDA

View Full Version : Holly Springs, Mississippi

Gregory Wallace
01-20-2004, 06:08 PM
So my fiancee and I are in the little town of Holly Springs, MS (45 mins S. of Memphis) and I see the old train-station on the hill. Not much going on there, so I'm snooping around the old GP-20s, empty cabooses and other rusty equipment. So she asks "What's that thing?", pointing to the weirdest-looking thing I'd ever seen on rails... almost monster-like, with a huge, steel, gaping maw that ended with a sharp pointed edge.

Of course, it was a snowplow... the first I'd ever seen. (I'm from the South.) I can't help but wonder what a snowplow of that size was doing in a deep Southern town (besides rusting away). Do they still use those things?

Oh, and if anyone ever goes to Holly Springs, make absolutely sure you eat lunch at Phillips Grocery, right next to the old depot. The best hamburger I've ever eaten -- anywhere.)

C40dash8
01-21-2004, 07:52 AM
It sounds like it may be a Jordan Spreader. These are used for right of way clean up projects. If you have a picture, we could confirm that.

Gregory Wallace
01-21-2004, 02:54 PM
It sounds like it may be a Jordan Spreader. These are used for right of way clean up projects. If you have a picture, we could confirm that.

I'm not a photographer.... yet. But I entered a few keywords in the search engine here, and decided that the thing looks similar to one of these (not sure which, my memory fails me):

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=40891

or

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=5882

Anyway, thanks!

J
01-22-2004, 02:03 AM
Those are Jordan Spreaders. Used for a variety of tasks such as profiling earth adjacent to the tracks to provide drainage. SP (and now UP) frequently use the Spreaders in the Sierras to clear snow up to several feet deep. They hold off using the rotary snow plows as much as possible as once they're used, you're pretty much committed to continuing with them through the snow season due to the deep trenches they'll make, especially in cuts. These are too deep for the Spreaders to handle.