PDA

View Full Version : EMD's looking more like GE's

Joe
01-26-2004, 02:20 AM
If you've seen the SD70ACE photos...you know what I'm talking about. EMD widecabs have started look more and more like GE widecabs. The SD60's,70's, and 90's all have the flared-out radiators like GE, and the SD70ACE now has the rectangular windows like the Dash-9's. Soon, you might not be able to tell the difference between the two companies' freight locomotives. :roll: :wink:

J
01-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Locomotive sales are pretty competitive! The new EMD design may be less expensive to fabricate as it looses its rolled edges and flared windshields.

If lost, you can always look at the fuel tanks. EMD's remain rolled while GE has creased edges.

Guilford350
01-27-2004, 12:07 AM
I totally agree, especially with the whole flared radiator thing going on. Another way to tell is by the trucks.

Robert28
02-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Yeah, but the EMD flare is more like what they used to have on the SD45's than a GE flare. The GE tail flares then goes straight out. Plus the nose profile is still pretty distinctive between the two. EMD's looks similar to what they were using on the three window SD60M's. Of course out East here the scene is dominated by NS blackened Catfish and CSX AC4400's, BUT when I do see the ocasional EMD I don't have any trouble picking them out.

Robert

Joe
07-16-2004, 05:30 PM
I said looks more like. You can still tell them apart, there will always be some differences. Also, the SD70ACe's have creased fuel tanks, though the creases are a little less sharp than on GEs.

Mike Kroth
07-22-2004, 02:29 PM
I think EMD is hurting for business. Here is what I know from working at BNSF.

We are buying over 300 new GE's this year.

The machinist tell me that parts support for the EMD's is terrible, and that they are hard to maintain. It cost the company too much money for this reason.

I don't know what UP, CSX, and NS are buying, but I do know that CSX and NS use the Dash-9 as there main road power, like we do.

inkycavz24
11-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Check out the nose of the SD70ACe...looks like someone molded a standard-cab nose into the wide cab.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=69493

psa188
01-12-2005, 04:17 PM
The new EMD's look much worse than new GEs. When EMD restyled the front end, they basterdized the appearance. I guess nobody cares about aesthetics anymore. Too bad, I like the appearance of UP SD70Ms.