PDA

View Full Version : Anybody running a Nikon D100?

csxdave
01-30-2004, 02:29 AM
Anybody on the group running a Nikon D100. Thinking about getting one to go with my other Nikon glass and just wanting a little feedback (that is getting one if I don't get caught up in these management cuts).

CSXDave
JAX Florida

wurstm
01-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Dave,

I'm using one. If you have a lot of Nikon lenses, then I suggest going ahead with the purchase. If your lens investment is minimal, however, my personal suggestion would be to possibly consider going to the Canon side of the digital world. Here's why:

1. CMOS sensors in Canons do much better with night photography. The CCD sensor in the Nikons generate a lot of noise over the image during the duration of the exposure. I have found that I'm okay with the D100 if I keep the exposure under 30 seconds - above that, it'll be several hours of Photoshop cleaning the image up. The D100 has a noise-reduction function, but its process shuts off the sensor at brief intervals, leaving possible breaks in "headlight streaks" - you would only want to use it for still life.

2. The D100 is set up to shoot a bit on the dark side. You can set the exposure compensation to somewhat accomodate this, but to really adjust the profile of the camera (including histogram adjustments), you need the Nikon Capture software, sold separately.

I realize that the above two points are advanced nit-picks, and I do not regret purchasing this D100 at all (I have five Nikon lenses myself, two of which are AF-S). In fact, I haven't shot with my F5 in over a month now (and I love that camera!) I guess what I'm getting at is that digital photography is a whole different ball of wax than slide shootin', and it just seems to me that Canon has made it a slight bit easier to get your feet wet into this medium than Nikon, based on the conversations that I have had with Mr. Starnes (who shoots a Canon D60).

Canon and Nikon are generally going after different digital photographic markets right now with their D-SLR's - Canon seems to be going more after the quality professional (larger image files), whereas Nikon seems to be targeting the press and sports photographers (smaller files, but faster performing cameras).

Here's several examples off of my D100:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?ids=47607,47605,44746,40259,37192,3 6483,35088,35087,35085,34442,34441,34439,34290

Overall, the D100 makes a great entry into the digital field for a photographer already equipped with Nikon gear. I hope that helps.

--Mark
wurstm@comcast.net
www.mswphoto.com
www.idiotrailfan.com

csxdave
01-31-2004, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the info Mark.

Sounds like the tech problems aren't so much a big deal for my style. I have been using a Sony Machiva at work this fall photographing my construction project. The biggest problem with that camera is that it is not mine and you really only get one shot at a time since it takes so long for the photo to download into the disk to let you go to the next frame.

From what I read, the Nikon would fit my style a little better anyway. Need the quicker "reset" to get frames of the baby and some action.

I'll keep an eye on prices for the D100, especially as the D70 hits the market. Right now I am seeing from $850 to 2000 (what a difference).

Regards,
CSXDave

csxdave
01-31-2004, 02:18 AM

wurstm
01-31-2004, 03:57 AM
This website may provide some great unbiased insight into Nikon's digital world. I purchased his E-book "Complete Guide to the Nikon D100".

http://www.bythom.com/

--Mark
wurstm@comcast.net
www.mswphoto.com
www.idiotrailfan.com

02-22-2004, 03:47 PM
VERY interesting comments about the D100 taking a little 'dark'. I use a Nikon D1X and this tends to shoot everything with a slight red cast. Its been back to Nikon here in the UK twice for the same problem, and only last week Nikon changed the entire driving software. It still takes on the red side.

I know I can get this colour shift sorted in Photoshop, but frankly the camera should operate with perfect colour, after all in UK prices the camera body alone costs 3500. Recetly I used a D100 and the results were just a little dark, but with perfect colour balance.

Colin Marsden