PDA

View Full Version : Night Shooting

VRE Man
02-12-2004, 05:14 AM
Guys,

I've been trying Night shots since I bought my Sony F717 Last Year and have had some marginal success especially when used with the Infrared Night Shot ability that the camera offers & the Night Framing but I want that classic night shot of "Manassas Train Station" which I have attempted several times without the Nightshot ability.

I have tried with the Automatic Settings & the Manual Setting of ISO 800 but it always comes out to "Grainy" or Dark. I need to find out how to do an Exposure shot with the Camera, I know it can be done I just cannot figure out how to do it <Yet>

But what would you'll recommend settings wise as far as shooting Night shots??

Also does shooting with a higher megapixel at night have a bad or damging factor on the way I might be shooting?? I'm Shooting all my Pictures at either 4 or 5 MegaPixels these days.

Thanks,

Jason Breakiron
Manassas, Va

E.M. Bell
02-12-2004, 03:42 PM
If you camera will allow you to adjust ISO ect, trying useing a lower ISO...like 200 or 400, and leave the shutter open a little longer. The higer the ISO, the grainier the image will be, more so in dark areas of the image.

Curtis Wininger
02-12-2004, 04:30 PM
E.B. is right. There is no need to go to a higher ISO for night shots when you have a tripod. I don't know much about the camera you are using, but set it to full manual if you can and experiment with different apertures and shutter speeds. Actually, you could probably set the aperture to about f8.0 to give you good depth of field and then adjust your shutter speed accordingly. If it's too dark, use a slower shutter speed. If it's too bright, use a faster shutter speed. Depending on how much light is available, you could be anywhere from 1 to 15 seconds.

The cool thing about digital is that you can see what you get right then and make adjustments.

ddavies
02-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Actually, f8 is good advice for a 35mm film camera, but not necessarily for a digital camera where the normal lens is only about 11 mm and the f stop is generally never above f11.

With the 11 mm normal lens, the depth of field is tremendous, and you can shoot at a much lower f stop.

I don't know how much light is available at Manassas, but the Lorton night VRE pic that was on my site was hand held at 1/20 sec with a wide angle lens, and it came out well. 23 mm, f3.8, but I was at least 50 feet from the nearest object (Nikon D1, normal lens, 33 mm).

Curtis Wininger
02-26-2004, 04:50 PM
The way I understand my camera works is that it doesn't really zoom more than any other 35mm. It just crops the picture because the image sensor isn't full size. That makes it virtually the same as taking a picture with a normal sized image sensor and cropping out the middle. DoF and such shouldn't change from that of a normal camera, should it?