PDA

View Full Version : Long Black train!!

S.C. Vermillion
02-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Heads up for Josh Turner's song "Long black train" It has nothing to do with NS or present day freight trains but one could always think of it that way. Espically big NS fans like myself.

J
02-17-2004, 11:45 PM
Railroads are less than pleased with "Long Black Train" as it could inspire impressionable people by possibly glorifying trespassing and suicides.

Think it's silly? Try responding to a grade crossing accident or trespass fatalilty.

Here's Operaton Lifesaver's position:

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m4PRN/2003_Oct_24/109250731/p1/article.jhtml

S.C. Vermillion
02-18-2004, 03:23 AM
I have never seen the video but do like the song. I myself think the whole idea about removing the video from TV is a bunch of junk. There is alot worse stuff than that on TV. Take some of the stuff on MTV and BET for instance. They use to make a big deal of rap music now its country. I do not think CMT and GAC will quit playing the video.

E.M. Bell
02-18-2004, 03:42 AM
As someone who has had the bad luck of hitting more than one person while at the throttle (although they were all grade crossing accidents), I Will have to stand with the folks aganst the video...

I love steam, the message of the song is a good one, and I am glad to see TVRM get a little money, BUT the video is in very poor taste and not thought out at all. Sadly, there are to many people out there dump enough to try stuff they see in music videos, and to many crews out there that have suffered from striking tresspassers. If you put the typical railfan respone to seeing a train on TV for a second, you might just see what all the fuss is about.

Curtis Wininger
02-18-2004, 03:57 AM
The message I got was don't go riding on the train. I took the video to mean that the symbolistic train was coming for the people, not that they were literally trying to kill themselves by being run over.

That's my not so literal interpretation thrown on out there. What about all those "troubled teen kill yourself" punk songs? There I go with my what about all the others blabbering.

The biggest problem I had with the video was trying to put the voice with the person on the screen.

J
02-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Here's an example of the stupidity that already exists along the tracks. No need to give weak minds any ideas.

IMI VALLEY, Calif. - A trespasser was killed Monday night about 8:40 p.m.
when he threw at a passing Union Pacific freight train, a jug or some other type of bottle that was attached to a rope, the rope being tied to a shopping cart on the other end. His apparent intent was to watch the shopping cart be dragged along by the train, according to UP spokesman Mark Davis. The end result was that the trespasser somehow became entangled with the shopping cart and was also dragged down the right of way. Two other people who were with him were not injured.

The train, the MRVWCX-9, a manifest extra with 86 cars from Roseville, Calif., near Sacramento, to West Colton in southern California, dragged the shopping cart about 1 mile before it was able to stop

S.C. Vermillion
02-25-2004, 12:31 AM
That's not from the song. That's just plain stupid. I feel for the family of the person who lost his life and the crew aboard the train.

willie6622
04-14-2004, 01:05 AM
SEWICKLEY - A Sewickley teen was struck and killed around 4 p.m. Monday along Norfolk Southern railroad tracks in the borough.

The Allegheny County coroner's office is withholding a cause of death on a 17-year-old until an autopsy is completed this morning. Officials declared him dead at the scene at 4:35 p.m. County homicide detectives are investigating the incident.

Rudy Husband, a railroad spokesman, said the teen was trespassing on tracks when an eastbound freight train struck him.

The accident occurred on the tracks between Chestnut Street and the Ohio River near Ferry Street.

The teen apparently was walking his dog along the tracks, police officers cordoning off the area said. Husband confirmed a dog was in the area, but he did not know whether the dog was with the teen or whether it was struck as well.

"This is another example of the dangers of trespassing on railroad property," he said.

As of last week, 16 people have been killed this year on Norfolk Southern property in 22 states, Husband said. Last year, 59 people were killed.

Railroad death ruled a suicide

By Patrick O'Shea, Times Staff April 24, 2002

I was the engineer on the train that was mentioned in the above news paper story. I still have problems with it. It has almost been 2 years, and I can't go past that spot without thinking about what happened. It turned out the teen was not walking his dog, but instead had taken his own life by jumping into the side of my engine.

J
04-14-2004, 09:20 PM
I know it probably isn't much comfort, but tragically this is almost a daily ocurrence. Below is one from last week in Maryland. News stories of course are not always factual and certainly don't capture the issues experienced by the crew.

A number of carriers have or are in the process of developing practices / policies to assist employees who have been involved in "critical incidents" such as this one. This doesn't necessarily mean automatic time off (the days after the incident) anothough it is somewhat common to relieve the crew on the spot

Consider consulting with your Employee Assistance Program is you find the incident continues to be an issue.

Wed April 7, 2004
Aberdeen man struck, killed by train
ABERDEEN, Md. (AP) _ A 78-year-old man was struck and killed by a freight train while he was walking on the track Wednesday, state police said.
William Thomas Hobbs of Aberdeen was pronounced dead at the scene.
Troopers said the crew of the CSX freight train, which was hauling trash from Philadelphia to South Carolina, saw the man about a half-mile ahead of the train about 10 a.m. Wednesday.
The train was traveling near Route 40 and Mitchell Road. The crew sounded the train's whistle, but the man did not turn to look in the direction of the sound, nor did he give any indication that he was aware the train was approaching.
The crew was unable to stop the train before it struck Hobbs.

Anonymous
05-01-2004, 05:16 AM
I don't get it... I've seen the vid and heard the song... its about living your life in the way GOD wants you to, not riding the devils train.

As a former vol. firefighter I have had the job of scapping remains of fools off a train that choose to take a NS quick exit from life by standing or laying on the tracks.
And that was before the song ever was wrote.

Stupid people will do stupid things, songs, vidios, ect... won't make or stop them from being stupid.