PDA

View Full Version : Digital SLR - Rebel or 10D

rpalmer
03-02-2004, 02:22 AM
With a decent tax refund coming my way, I'm going to move up from a "digicam" to a real digital SLR. I've already decided that Canon is getting my money instead of Nikon. The only question left is the model. With the recent popularity of the Digital Rebel, the 10D has come down in price, but is still a lot more money. I'm wondering if the 10D offers me anything that is worth the extra money, or should I go with the Rebel and put the money I save into more lenses. Both cameras are 6.3 MP, so I would think that the images out of each should be the same.
Thoughts anyone ?

Rob

Curtis Wininger
03-02-2004, 02:35 AM
http://bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos10d-rebel.html

That website spells it out pretty well. The only thing I found wrong with it is that it says the 10D goes up to 3200 ISO. My 10D goes to 1600. There must have been a mistake somewhere with that.

It just depends on what you need. If you think the improvements are worth the extra money, go for the 10D. I love mine.

Save The Wave
03-03-2004, 02:43 AM
Haven't used the 10D but the Rebel has served me very well. Either way you go you win, the Canon is a really great system.

Bryan Jones
03-11-2004, 06:21 AM
I guess it just depends on if you need to extra features and rugedness of the 10D vs the Digital Rebel. Over this past weekend I just bought new EOS 10D online from Onecall (www.onecall.com), a very reliable dealer. Price was 10% off, making it $1349 which is about as good as it gets for a new, USA model 10D. The camera arrived on Tuesday and while I haven't had a chance to shoot any trains with it yet, the test shots from around my house are great. I chose the 10D due to the better built body, larger buffer and several other issues such as being able to use the BG-ED3 battery grip that I already have on my EOS D30.
Oh yeah, the ISO does go up to 3200 on the 10D. You have to do it via Custom Function, it explains it in the user manual.

Bryan Jones

na4m
03-12-2004, 07:42 PM
If you use manual exposure settings (f/stop and shutter speed) frequently you may find the Rebel is a bit more clumsy if the digital Rebel is the same as it's film counterpart.

Film Rebels (at least the XS and I think all Rebels) adjust f/stop by pushing in the Av button on the upper right backside of the body and then adjusting the f/stop with the control wheel on the top of the body next to the shutter release. Kinda clumsy I think.... YMMV.

The 10D also has a magnesium body and the Rebels are plastic.

Don't think the Rebel has mirror lockup either.